Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Baby Bobby Calf

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Keepingkind Keepingkind QLD Posts: 5
1 31 Aug 2015
Hi everyone ,
Just hoping someone has advice on caring for a Bobby Calf, she is a Drought Master
ReplyQuote

2 31 Aug 2015
Keepingkind said:
ks , I was given a Bobby calf that was going to be slaughtered and wondered if anyone would be able to give me advice on how to worm the little girl and if its safe to give probiotics which is basically cows colostrum to help it with digestion and healthy tummy bacteria.
She is 9 days old.
There is very little info on the net about how to save the Bobby calf , mainly info on how they are treated  sad

Mother Theresa never rallied in anti-war campaigns but would  support Peace Campaigns.
ReplyQuote

robert99 robert99 Sweden Posts: 1360
3 1 Sep 2015
http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Animal-management/Animal-welfare/Calves.aspx

I would contact them about registering the calf in case of diseases etc As your tax dollars pay these people, ring them up when you have to get info - they work for you!
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
4 1 Sep 2015
Hey KeepingKind,

I've reared a few bobby calves over the years from Frisians and Jerseys to Murray Grey's happy  its very rewarding but very time consuming and expensive. The best thing to do is to get your calf drinking powdered milk which you can purchase at your local produce store ( which can be quite expensive but since you only have one it will last for a while )

Make sure your calf is fed morning and night, its pretty easy, just mix the recommended amount according to the bag with some warm water, mix it so that it is nice and frothy and bottle feed it to your calf. Its very important that the calf has full access to water at all times. slowly start introducing chaff ( green or white ) grain meal and lucent hay to your calf over the next few weeks, you dont need to worry about that until he/she is at least a month old. I personally feed my calves on powered milk until they are 8-10 months old depending on how they are growing and how interested they are still in milk.

In regards to worming its best to ask the people at the local produce store as different wormers  have age restrictions. happy

If you have any further questions feel free to ask happy good luck with your calf
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
5 1 Sep 2015
Dont forget to vaccinate him/her against different diseases  happy you can get the vaccinations at the produce store and do them your self if you have experience or you can get a vet to do them but it is super important to get them done and to get there booster shots done  thumb
ReplyQuote

6 3 Sep 2015
Thanks guys I started her on 4 feeds per day making upto  3 litres and slowly by today have put her on 3l 2x per day. She looks so much better . I did the 2 x feeds per day because I was told that 3-4 smaller feeds can make them scour which she seemed to be doing . I have put some probiotics in her milk which seems to have helped a bit. ( colostrum ) She is now 11 days old I think ?
I will try and chase some meal down for her. Thanks !!
She is a droughtmaster but I think she might be ok as a milking cow one day.
ReplyQuote

honk honk NSW Posts: 118
7 5 Sep 2015
Keepingkind said:
She is a droughtmaster but I think she might be ok as a milking cow one day.
So you're going through all this trouble just so one day you can forcibly impregnate her in order to drink her breast milk? Nice.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au