Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Danish zoo criticized as it dissects lion before crowd

kids watch on ...

1 - 2 of 2 posts

robert99 robert99 Sweden Posts: 1360
1 15 Oct 2015
http://www.wnem.com/story/30266089/danish-zoo-criticized-as-it-dissects-lion-before-crowd

ODENSE, Denmark (AP) - A Danish zoo publicly dissected a year-old male lion Thursday, pulling out its blood-red organs to show a few hundred people including children - an event met outside of Denmark with criticism and online protests.

Adult spectators brought scarfs to their noses to ward off the pungent smell as they watched the dissection, considered by many in this Scandinavian country of 5.6 million to be an educational program. The event was deliberately scheduled to take place during the annual fall school holidays.

A Brussels-based animal protection group, however, sharply criticized Odense Zoo, 170 kilometers (105 miles) west of Copenhagen, for killing three healthy young lions this year.

Joanna Swabe, head of the Humane Society International/Europe, said in a statement that "zoos routinely over-breed and kill lions and thousands of other animals deemed surplus to requirements."

She said zoos have "an ethical responsibility" and can use contraceptive options "to manage reproduction, prevent inbreeding (and) maintain genetically healthy populations."

One of central Denmark's most popular tourist attractions, the Odense zoo has done public dissections for 20 years. On Thursday, scores of children stood around a table where the zoo had displayed a stuffed lion cub next to the lion being dissected.

Read more: http://www.wnem.com/story/30266089/danish-zoo-criticized-as-it-dissects-lion-before-crowd#ixzz3odnpXhdW
ReplyQuote

reddapanda reddapanda ACT Posts: 381
2 16 Oct 2015
Wow.  

Although I guess, we did dissections in high school. So the educational thing isn't just there. It's kind of similar in a way. What do you think?

I found the dissection classes among the most disturbing moments of my high school life btw, but I wonder whether that's the case for how-many of my then class-mates.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au