Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What's wrong with single issue campaigns?

1 - 10 of 36 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

LV LV TAS Posts: 30
1 17 Dec 2009
Something to consider:

What's wrong with single issue campaigns?

"Single-issue campaigns give public the impression that some forms of exploitation are worse than others."

"Single issue campaigns can never work as long as animal exploitation is the unquestioned default position."

"The primary value of single-issue campaigns is to act as fundraising "vehicles".

A quote from Gary L Francione:

"I think they can be very dangerous. Because, in a society where animal exploitation is the default position and is considered normal, focusing on one thing suggests that Ė for example, when you focus on meat. In a society in which meat, dairy and eggs are all considered normal ... Read Morethings to do and thatís all part of the default position, you focus on flesh, youíre basically saying thereís a morally relevant difference between flesh on one hand and eggs, dairy on the other. When you talk about fur Ė I mean Iíve always had problems with fur campaigns, because Iíve thought itís sexist. I thought it was yet another opportunity to go up to women on the street who are wearing things. For some reason, itís not all right to campaign and go up and give people are hard time who are wearing leather jackets, because people didnít want to lose their teeth [laughter]. But itís all right to go up to women who are wearing fur coats, Iíve always had a problem with that.

So my deal is when I have to speak at these anti-fur things, to the extent that I do it, when I did used to do it, I always said as long as I can call it an anti-clothing event Ė because as far as Iím concerned, thereís no difference between fur and leather and wool. I mean wool is absolutely horrible. The way wool is produced is absolutely horrible. And so I think these single issue campaigns are really problematic, because they suggest thereís a morally... in the fur case, it suggests that thereís a morally relevant difference between fur on the one hand, and leather and wool on the other hand Ė but there isnít."

===========

Picking the Low-Hanging Fruit: What Is Wrong with Single Issue Campaigns?
http://unpopularveganessays.blogspot.com/search/label/single-issue%20campaigns

The Great ĎVictoryí of New Welfarism
http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/the-great-victory-of-new-welfarism/
ReplyQuote

Adam Adam United States Posts: 5
2 17 Dec 2009
Thanks for raising awareness about this!
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
3 17 Dec 2009
This would fit rather well in the abolitionist thread.  thumb
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
4 17 Dec 2009
i am partly aboliionist lol not really
but i disagree
heaps of single issue campaigns are great
ReplyQuote

advoc8 advoc8 SA Posts: 179
5 17 Dec 2009
Heaps of single issue campaigns are a waste of time. Been there, done that. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing happens.

TOO MANY ISSUES.
Or is there?
No. There is just one ...
Animal exploitation.

Q How do you stop it?
A Promote veganism.

One issue. One message. Too easy.
ReplyQuote

Nathan Nathan VIC Posts: 148
6 18 Dec 2009
I think single issue campaigns can be effective. Everyones not going to become vegan, so if you can aleast get people to stop wearing fur, eating meat, not going to circuses, stop hunting then that's still a big thing.
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
7 18 Dec 2009
I suppose it depends if your agenda is abolitionist or incrementalist or something completely different.

I think its probably fair to say you can exert more pressure on industry with single issue campaigns. Of course though, industry reform is something abolitionists reject.

So I wouldn't say there is something wrong with it, I would say there is something wrong with it if you're an abolitionist.

advoc8 said:
Heaps of single issue campaigns are a waste of time. Been there, done that. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing happens.
I'm not so sure.

I doubt the pigs, cow calves and battery hens in California (and at least 7 other US states from memory) that are no longer confined to factory/intensive farms think single issue campaigns are a waste of time.

I doubt the bulls in California who are no longer subject to facial branding think single issue campaigns are a waste of time.

I doubt the countless foxes, cats, dogs, rabbits and mink sparred from fur farms due to various designers dropping the disgusting material think single issue campaigns are a waste of time.

I could go on and on and on and on of what industry welfare reform has brought to the animals currently imprisoned by agribusiness primarily from single issue campaigning - so you canít say nothingís happened!

Sure, vegan outreach is a fantastic tool and tactic to help animals. But itís not going to put as much pressure on industry (who have the levers at their disposal to end all suffering) as single issue campaigns. The current plight of animals is far too complicated to be as black and white as you suggest (i.e. abolitionism + vegan outreach will bring about a non-humanís utopia). I think to do whatís best for animals, we should look to and encourage every tactic which has the possibility of even to little extent limiting the suffering animals are currently subjected to, because **** knows they need all the help they can get.
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
8 18 Dec 2009
Well said Matt! I agree completely. We need to help the animals suffering RIGHT NOW aswell as prevent animals suffering in the future- I can't say one is more important than another. They all matter to me.
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
9 18 Dec 2009
yup i agree with matt
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
10 18 Dec 2009
Aimee said:
Well said Matt! I agree completely. We need to help the animals suffering RIGHT NOW aswell as prevent animals suffering in the future- I can't say one is more important than another. They all matter to me.
That is THE problem I have with the abolitionist approach. I'm the same, I just can't turn my back on the animals that need help right now.
):
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au