Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Response to my letter about the "One million baby calves need your help!"

1 - 8 of 8 posts

VegComfortFood VegComfortFood QLD Posts: 6
1 1 Jun 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding the welfare of dairy calves. We are concerned with the content of your email and refute your claims that the dairy industry has demonstrated an unwillingness to endorse reforms for the Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines for Land Transport.
The dairy industry along with government, scientists and animal welfare groups reached consensus on the Standards as part of the development process. These Standards will deliver good animal welfare outcomes. The dairy industry worked closely with government, animal welfare groups, other industries and Animal Health Australia to develop the Land Transport of Livestock Standards and Guideline.
The land transport standard has introduced either new standards for the improved welfare of calves or standards that reflect the intent of guidelines within the Model Code of Welfare.

The following areas of calf management are now covered under the proposed land transport standard and will provide continued and significant improvements in calf welfare outcomes. They are fully endorsed by the dairy industry and are supported by science to ensure the welfare risk to calves during transported is minimised.
Standards for the loading of calves including careful lifting of those animals that cannot negotiate loading ramps easily
Standards banning the use of electric prodders on calves
Standards requiring auditable and accessible record systems to enable assurances to be provided that calves were fed within six hours of transport
Standards to ensure transporters provide space for calves to lie down during transport
Standards for maximum transport distance and duration.  The dairy industry continues to recommend that calves should be transported at no younger than five days of age. The first week of rearing is a critical period for development, animal health and changes to the digestive system. While calves may be larger and easier to move at ten days of age, these calves are more susceptible to gastro-intestinal illness and infections.

This is supported by science which has found that increasing the age at which calves are transported is unlikely to improve welfare of calves.  
The Australian dairy industry is committed to improving the welfare of calves and is working with farmers, calf buyers, transporters and processors to ensure everyone is aware of their responsibility for calf welfare.    Dairy Australia, Level 5, IBM Centre, 60 City Road, Southbank, Victoria, 3006
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
2 1 Jun 2009
I got one like that too
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
3 1 Jun 2009
Yeahp. Received exactly the same one. Not sure how to reply to it though.....

I think its a good sign, however, that the reply is an auto. It means that they received so so so many letters that they couldnt reply to them all personally.
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
4 1 Jun 2009
Unleashed Admin
I've seen this response too. Sadly their e-mail is intentionally deceptive. The truth is that the dairy industry has consistently opposed any substantial changes that would improve the welfare of bobby calves, like those recommended by Animals Australia during the recent review. sad

And is it just me or have they COMPLETELY dodged the main issue that their industry sends one million 'useless' week-old calves to their deaths every year??

www.unleashed.org.au/take_action/dairy-calves
ReplyQuote

5 1 Jun 2009
Karen said:
And is it just me or have they COMPLETELY dodged the main issue that their industry sends one million 'useless' week-old calves to their deaths every year?
Its not just you....

I remember about 6 months ago I sent a letter to the regional 'director' of 'KFC/YumFoods' (i dont know why they call it 'yum foods') and received a reply about two weeks later, completely dodging the topic, saying they were all about freshness and quality and crap. Anyway, I sent a letter back, quoting & rebutting their reply.... and yep, they sent the exact same letter back.
I thought this was funny and kept going at it. I think they sent the same reply about 4 times, even though I was (politely) rebutting their standards and (kindly-ish) mocking their same reply, until I realised that I was quite possibly wasting my time and should take another approach.

Anyway yeah, thought id share that anecdote wink
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
6 1 Jun 2009
.ellehcoR said:
I thought this was funny and kept going at it. I think they sent the same reply about 4 times, even though I was (politely) rebutting their standards and (kindly-ish) mocking their same reply, until I realised that I was quite possibly wasting my time and should take another approach.

Anyway yeah, thought id share that anecdote wink
lol... arguing with a machine  laugh
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
7 1 Jun 2009
The sad thing is, they probably don't even read our letters, just see that it's a complaint about treatment then go "oh this is a letter whinging that we don't treat our cows well enough, where is our sub standard bull s**t reply that totally dodges what they are saying?"
ReplyQuote

8 2 Jun 2009
on the topic of letter responses, has everyone received the Jumps racing one? Mine came through email about 10 minutes ago. Its crap. and dodging the topic.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au