Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Ignorant Friends

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

Mel Mel NSW Posts: 289
1 19 Dec 2009
Hey I just need to rant a little.

I was explaining my reasons for caring for animals and doing what I can for them and he stated he was of the opinion that animals were hardy creatures and didn't feel pain like we do.

I tried to explain to him that yes they are similar to us in their capacity to feel pain, and that they die without medical intervention in the wild quite often.

He said "they don't get infected like we do"  and I was shocked. I hadn't known people could be so ignorant of how similar to us animals are, not only in their capacity to feel, but in medical terms too. They do get infected, they can die of this, and many many animals die in the wild because they are NOT the hardy creatures people sometimes think they are.

One of the best ways the animals survive is by breeding and having lots and lots of babies int he hope that a few of them will survive to become old enough to breed.

Sorry but this really got to me. I just can't get over how much people DON'T know about animals. There needs to be some general knowledge thrown at them or something.
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
2 19 Dec 2009
what a silly person.
i think alot of people know animals feel pain but choose to ignore it so they can continue to live there life of eating meat and pretending that all this other stuff doesn't happen
ReplyQuote

3 19 Dec 2009
yeh I agree. the thing that really got to me was that this certain person was not unintelligent.
ReplyQuote

Aweso_ me Aweso_ me VIC Posts: 280
4 19 Dec 2009
Mel said:
didn't feel pain like we do.
um does he have a small brain, thats not really smart confusedsorry to say
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
5 19 Dec 2009
And his facts behind his pain theory is?

Ugh' Im sorry you had to hear those words, Im outraged now just thinking about it. Animals feel both emotional and physical pain- thats why elephants go into grief after one of their own has died, thats why penguins only mate with one other for the rest of their lives. Animal traits can be so close to ours at points, the only difference is that animals don't bitch and whine about the pain they've dealt with in the same extensive way we do, they can't, to survive they have to pull through and try and live. But if he thinks they aren't prone to pain like we are, I'm sorry but he is just a tosser, maybe he should research more about animals before opening his mouth.
ReplyQuote

6 19 Dec 2009
Jacqui   Love.Hate said:
And his facts behind his pain theory is?

Ugh' Im sorry you had to hear those words, Im outraged now just thinking about it. Animals feel both emotional and physical pain- thats why elephants go into grief after one of their own has died, thats why penguins only mate with one other for the rest of their lives. Animal traits can be so close to ours at points, the only difference is that animals don't bitch and whine about the pain they've dealt with in the same extensive way we do, they can't, to survive they have to pull through and try and live. But if he thinks they aren't prone to pain like we are, I'm sorry but he is just a tosser, maybe he should research more about animals before opening his mouth.
Yes. I try to explain this to people and I have actually recently gone into a pact with two other friends who have agreed to become vegetarian ecstatic

I think that part of his ignorance comes from him working in hospitality and being a cook for many years. If he were to see things rightly now it would mean a very big change in his life and career.
Although, he could always create veg dishes, the customer base in the area probably wouldn't approve and he would lose them and he is struggling to get by on what he makes now....

but still...I live in hope.
ReplyQuote

Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
7 19 Dec 2009
Mel said:
He said "they don't get infected like we do"  and I was shocked.
So the facial tumour disease thats wiping out scores of tasmanian devils is what exactly?*'That's just wilful ignorance, that is!rolleyes

*It could be said that it's not like infections we get, as it is an infectious form of cancer, but that's beside the point.
ReplyQuote

sarahwithanh27 sarahwithanh27 VIC Posts: 439
9 20 Dec 2009
For me, I have a friend and they're Christian. I'm not saying that in a negative way, it's just relative to what I'm saying. Anyway, they're all "come to youth yeah church jesus yeah get involved yeah!" and get all revved about that, and when they ask, I go, because they're my friend. And they asked me to. But whenever I bring up Earthlings, they can't spare the time of day, because they "don't see it changing anything".
This isn't really an ignorance thing.
But it sucks.
ReplyQuote

Nelly! Nelly! QLD Posts: 237
10 20 Dec 2009
One thing that bugs me is when my sister says:
"but thats what animals are for, they are bred to eat, If you don't eat them there will be too many"

I explain to her it is just like any product they do stock take on it and one person can make a difference by choosing not to buy/eat it.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au