Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What to do about the Palm Oil Issue...

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
2 26 Dec 2009
http://www.abcaustralia.com/tv/guide/netw/200912/programs/ZY9246A001D2009-12-26T193000.htm

Rainforests around the world are being destroyed en masse and countless individual animals face the terror of having their homes destroyed. For those of you who are not familliar with the Palm Oil issue this doc. might open your eyes. Just like in South America more than 70% of the Amazon has been destroyed in the last 30 years - for either cattle grazing or to grow feed for some of the 55+ billion animals as meat, dairy and eggs- Indonesain rainforests are suffering the same fate largely due to cleared land for Palm Oil production. Campaigns in the media by numerous organisations (incl. this documentary) urge for a clear labelling system on products containing [unsustainably sourced] palm oil and thus a boycott of said products. This is helpful, but recent statistics show more than a quarter of the global supply of palm kernels can be sourced to the NZ Dairy Industry alone! The answer here is not just to boycott processed foods with varying amounts of this product in them, nor is it the answer to only boycott McDonalds if we want to save the Amazon... the answer is to stop supporting animal agriculture in all it's forms - go vegan. It will save rainforests, water, orangutans, as well absolve your support for the attrocities committed against 'farm'animals.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
3 27 Dec 2009
Unleashed Admin
I happened to stumble on that show by chance this evening. It was very interesting.

Francis said:
recent statistics show more than a quarter of the global supply of palm kernels can be sourced to the NZ Dairy Industry alone!
Wow! This is a disturbing fact, and one I hadn't heard. Where did you hear this? I'd be keen to read more...

On a similar note, I recall a Greenpeace report that said 80% of all soy produced in the Amazon is fed to livestock. (http://www.greenpeace.org/international/press/reports/eating-up-the-amazon)
ReplyQuote

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
4 27 Dec 2009
I know, it's unbelivable stuff... the more you read the more disgusting it gets and the more the necessity of veganism for the environment becomes obvious.

I raed an article somewher eon the web (i can't remember exactly where..) but it was in response to  a recent greenpeace protest demanding dairy farmers stop using oil palm products instead of highlighting the extreme environemntal damage of animal agriculture.

The amazon stuff really, really gets to me. I remember as a kid (i wasn't veg or anything) but used to just get so outraged about deforestation and there were all those cartoons... seeing the land cleared for palm in that documentary last night was just horrible.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
5 28 Dec 2009
Damn I missed it. Do you know if the ABC keep shows on their website like ch 7 & 10 are starting to do?
ReplyQuote

Rosie Wolf Rosie Wolf VIC Posts: 163
6 28 Dec 2009
RaV3N said:
Damn I missed it. Do you know if the ABC keep shows on their website like ch 7 & 10 are starting to do?
Haha ABC set the trend for that in Australia! They've had Iview going for ages now, and keep most shows up for a good couple weeks!
www.abc.net.au/iview/
Unfortunately, they don't keep ALL shows. And i just went on to have a look, but couldn't find it. But have a look, as i might have missed it!
I completely forgot about watching it until i switched over and saw just the end. Disappointed, i'm sure it would have been extremely informative.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
7 29 Dec 2009
Bugger can't find it, tried YouTube too just in case... but I did find some other things to come back and watch on the ABC site! Woohoo!
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
8 29 Dec 2009
Unleashed Admin
On the topic of deforestation, I saw a presentation by a guy from WWF the other day. He was saying that QLD is the highest emitter of greenhouse gases in Australia. They are responsible for 30% of all of Australia's greenhouse gases. And surprisingly, the biggest source of emissions is not coal. It is land clearing...

and who is responsible for 90% of this land clearing? The beef industry!  furious
ReplyQuote

CUPCAKES! CUPCAKES! VIC Posts: 177
9 9 Jan 2010
That is seriously infuriating!!!!
Does anyone else get sooooo angry about this stuff?
Jesse said:
On the topic of deforestation, I saw a presentation by a guy from WWF the other day. He was saying that QLD is the highest emitter of greenhouse gases in Australia. They are responsible for 30% of all of Australia's greenhouse gases. And surprisingly, the biggest source of emissions is not coal. It is land clearing...

and who is responsible for 90% of this land clearing? The beef industry!  furious
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
10 10 Jan 2010
Laratilly13 said:
That is seriously infuriating!!!!
Does anyone else get sooooo angry about this stuff?
Sure do! *lol* even frustrated that no one (goverment, people highest in charge) are stopping it.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).