Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Sleeping through the re-runs of earthlings in your head...

1 - 9 of 9 posts

Lauren Elizabeth Lauren Elizabeth QLD Posts: 93
1 28 Dec 2009
This might sound silly to some people I dont know... I have trouble getting to sleep some nights because well just certain things I have seen in a video or read about (you know for example animal testing) that is so burdensome and stressful that you cant get to sleep. Sometimes it can be really bad and usually I try waking up and reading but it really sucks and there must be some meditation or something to help subdue these images etc, especially when I am trying to sleep, because it feels like a nightmare but your still awake because its hard to think about something else when you are trying to sleep and you do alot of activism during the day and you are thinking about all those things at night... usually its just one particularly distressing thing and it just plays over and over.

Any help? I feel like I have to live with this massive burden... others do not understand...
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
2 29 Dec 2009
I'm the same. The fur scene in Earthlings ALWAYS plays in my head as the white dog/wolf looks like my Stormy sad

I usually cry myself to sleep to be brutally honest. Or I call my b/f and he tells me something nice and gets my mind off it.

You could always try watching a comedy or something fun and cheerful? Or try not watching/reading anything about animal cruelty a set amount of hours before bed. I usually try not to look at images a few hours before bed otherwise they just get stuck in my head.
ReplyQuote

Jessica Jessica VIC Posts: 121
3 29 Dec 2009
for some reason those things don't stick in my head, but the moment i try to sleep there's usually something that happened durin the day that i can't stop stressing over, what usually helps for me is i recreate the situation in my head, changing anything i wan't to change, adding and taing away people etc.

It usualy helps me get to sleep and you can keep going a long with the story until it sort of becomes like a routine.

otherwise maybe you could try doing somethin that relaxes you to get your mind off of it, or other way and do something that your not good at so your focu shifts to trying to do that right before bed.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
4 29 Dec 2009
RaV3N said:
I'm the same. The fur scene in Earthlings ALWAYS plays in my head as the white dog/wolf looks like my Stormy sad
That's the image that gets me too. The thought that someone could do that is disgusting, I burst into tear when I saw it sad
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
5 29 Dec 2009
Yeah, I have the same sort of problem where tings just go round and round in my head.
I've tried sleeping with dried lavender near my head (cos lavender is supposed to help you sleep)
but if its because of animal cruelty you cannot sleep, what about thinking of some nice things that have happened to animals?
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
6 29 Dec 2009
Unleashed Admin
First of all, if those visions are haunting you, then I would recommend that you stop reading/watching/looking at such info about animal cruelty. Since you're vegan, you know what happens and don't really need to see it again. There's no point in tormenting yourself.

When I can't clear my head, I find that reading helps. It makes you think about something else, and then when you're too tired to keep reading you can just nod off.

You could also try listening to music/radio as you drift off.

And meditation may help you.

Occasionally the sadness in the world weighs heavy on me, but most of the time I find I can deal with it. The thought that helps me cope with so much suffering is the knowledge that I do what I can to help end it.

Perhaps when you have those visions, you could make a silent promise to those animals you are reflecting on that you will do your best to make sure it doesn't happen to any more animals. And then try and visualise that world we are striving for, where animals are respected and protected.
ReplyQuote

Pomi Pomi VIC Posts: 311
7 29 Dec 2009
This happens to me too, the images that stuck in my head was the cow in agony on the concrete floor that's absolutely drenched in blood, and the elephant that ran from the circus performance only to be shot down by humans.
And the dog being tested on, at the start of the documentary 'your mummy kills animals' i think...
I sit there and cry really. Oh and I listen to music, that helps, but it's more of a weird trance you go into, not really helpful in the long run. You could try watching something funny or happy.
ReplyQuote

Lauren Elizabeth Lauren Elizabeth QLD Posts: 93
8 29 Dec 2009
Jesse said:
First of all, if those visions are haunting you, then I would recommend that you stop reading/watching/looking at such info about animal cruelty. Since you're vegan, you know what happens and don't really need to see it again. There's no point in tormenting yourself.
I have been trying this recently yeah no more videos, images/new issues etc. though get emailed like daily as you know....
ReplyQuote

arnie viv arnie viv VIC Posts: 58
9 30 Dec 2009
i agree, if we already knwo enough to be taking action then we dont need to disturb ourselves further, just get informed and inform others. if they need disturbing to be motivated then they can watch earthlings
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au