Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Substitutes

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
1 6 Jun 2009
I was just curious what you guys use as substitutes for dairy and such. Here are mine:
butter=nutttelex
milk=rice milk
honey=maple syrup, golden syrup
egg=nothing atm.
meat=mushrooms, tofu, or any other equally good if not better food tongue

If you have any better substitutes, please share!
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
2 6 Jun 2009
For meat, I go to the Chinese shop. Lot's of faux fish, chicken, satay skewers and even prawns - sooooooo good. I love vegan fish and chips tongue

For meat you can also use things such as chic peas, lentils and beans in things such as cottage pies, tacos etc etc.

For egg, when cooking, I just use egg replacer from the supermarket. I haven't been brave enough to try scrambled tofu and stuff yet. tongue
ReplyQuote

Charlotte Rae Charlotte Rae VIC Posts: 44
3 6 Jun 2009
For egg substitute I usually use either:
a. 1/2 mashed banana
b. 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tbsp flour, 3 tbsp water ( my personal favourite when baking cakes)
c.  1/4 cup soymilk
d. 1/4 cup soy yoghurt
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
4 7 Jun 2009
Apparently you can use silken tofu as a substitute in some baking. I once made a vegan chocolate mousse with silken tofu and some peanut butter... it tasted... interesting, but Im sure there are better things available.

I know that banana is perfect for egg substitute in cakes/cupcakes. If you dont like the taste, you can always try the vegan cupcake recipe that uses oil.... it can be easily altered around to make different types.

And for meat... zohmygoddies there are SO many substitutes. Yeap, a great place IS the asian grocer but you can find a wide range practically everywhere these days... we are very lucky that major supermarkets have noticed the demand.
Try the sanitarium range of mock meats, which is very common. Expanding from that there is a wide range of tofu, tempeh, falafel, TVP (Textured soy vegetable protein- I bought a packet from the markets today and am so excited) and heaps of legumes and pulses. I even made vegetarian sausage rolls using rolled oats and crushed walnuts!!!!

You could also take a trip one day to your local health food store and they will point you in the right direction. happy
ReplyQuote

Nathanael Nathanael VIC Posts: 211
5 7 Jun 2009
on the scrambled tofu front, i think it's delicious! go try a.) breakfast burrito from trippy taco in melbourne or b.) scrambled tofu at scrambled in newtown, sydney.
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
6 7 Jun 2009
Nathanael said:
on the scrambled tofu front, i think it's delicious! go try a.) breakfast burrito from trippy taco in melbourne or b.) scrambled tofu at scrambled in newtown, sydney.
Just been reading all your other posts..... you're like one living vegan-food-finding GPS!!

laugh
ReplyQuote

Nathanael Nathanael VIC Posts: 211
7 7 Jun 2009
haha i've been unemployed for 6 months! i aint got nothing else to do!
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 8 Jun 2009
Matt.Y said:
Just been reading all your other posts..... you're like one living vegan-food-finding GPS!!

laugh
Hehe... I like that!
ReplyQuote

Rainbow Fox Rainbow Fox QLD Posts: 91
9 9 Jun 2009
Use applesauce instead of egg in some baking happy Especially pancakes and stuff.... Yummy vegan apple pancakes. SUPER DELICIOUS.
chick
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
10 9 Jun 2009
Margarine - Tablelands.

Milk - Vitasoy Rice Milk or So Good Lite.

Egg - Egg Replacer (from Cruelty Free Shop).

Honey - Rice Syrup (from Cruelty Free Shop).

Chocolate - Sweet Williams

Cheese - Cheezly Mozzarella or Edam (from Cruelty Free Shop).

Meat - I'm loving Tempeh at the moment! Also, tofu, Lamyong or Fry's.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au