Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Meat Hater's Pizza

1 - 10 of 10 posts

strutty strutty QLD Posts: 87
1 7 Jun 2009
Recipe taken from the tops book "Now Vegan!" by Lynda Stoner.

Dough:
2 cups plain flour
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tabelspoons olive oil
1 cup warm water

Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 small-medium tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup tomato paste

Toppings:
bbq sauce
meltable soy cheese
3 or more types of meat substitutes, such as:
- Veggie sausage thinly sliced
- veggie beef (e.g. burger patties cut into small chunks)
- veggie mince (made from textured proteins, onion, garlic, soy sauce and tomato paste)
Tempeh slices
Marinated tofu, cubed
Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 fresh tomato, thinly sliced
fresh herbs

preheat oven to 180c.

Combine the dry ingredients for the dough in a large mixing bowl, then add the olive oil and water. stir until your dough balls up and wont absorb any more flour. now sprinkle a little flour onto a clean bench top and rub your hands with some flour to stop the dough sticking, then start kneading it. after a few minutes of kneading, your dough should be nicely combined and stretchy. at this point you can stretch it evenly across your pizza tray. this amount should make plenty of dough for a 12-14 inch pizza tray, or several smaller ones.

To make sauce: saute the garlic and onion in olive oil for two minutes, then add the herbs, salt and pepper. stir in your tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes

(alternatively, if you're feeling lazy you can buy a premade pizza base and pizza sauce but watch out for milk solids and animal derived additives in the ingredients)

Spread some pizza sauce over the dough, then add a liberal amount of bbq sauce over the top. grate some soy cheese over the sauces, then start adding your faux meat and tofu. add some thinly sliced mushrooms and tomato, and possibly some fresh herbs, before grating more soy cheese over the top.

Pop your pizza in the oven and cook for 10-12min until the edges of the pizza base turn brown.

chow down and enjoy!!!!!!

peace
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
2 7 Jun 2009
YESSSS
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
3 7 Jun 2009
Sounds YUM but the problem is finding melty soy cheese sad
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
4 8 Jun 2009
Kirrilly said:
when i do mine i only a use a TINY amount of faux cheese. I don't like the taste of it that much - i just use it for the texture.
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
5 8 Jun 2009
you can also change this recipe around a bit..

instead of using the meat listed above, use soy nuggets from the Chinese shop. then lose about a third of the sauce, trading it for a bit more bbq and chopped onion - and maybe even a bit of pineapple if you want.

and hey presto! it's your very own vegan BBQ chicken pizza tongue
ReplyQuote

strutty strutty QLD Posts: 87
6 8 Jun 2009
Something else i think is nice as pizza topping:

Garlic and redwine sauce with pesto as the base (hard to find pesto without cheese,  so best to make your own)

Sliced bits of Mango
Macadamia nuts cut into quarters
Spanish onion
sweet corn kernels
bits of asparagus
and a little bit of Baby spinach chopped

Im with Matt, I dont really like the taste of soy cheese so i just leave it cheeseless.
ReplyQuote

Jessica Jessica VIC Posts: 121
7 8 Jun 2009
awesome thanks! happy
now i've just got to find a day to try it.

and nice alternative ways, i could definitely get my bro to try veg bbq chicken pizza.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
8 8 Jun 2009
dont forget the italian secret ingredient - oregano and a bucket load of it!! i lay my sauce down then sprinkle the oregano. its the one thing i learnt when in italy when it came to food.... oregano oregano oregano!
ReplyQuote

Rainbow Fox Rainbow Fox QLD Posts: 91
9 9 Jun 2009
I love this book>!< It is one of the best vegan cook books I have happy

I haven't tried this recipe yet... but I very much should over uni break.
ReplyQuote

Farron Farron VIC Posts: 18
10 21 Jun 2009
Kirrilly said:
I know Cheezly works. Well at least the melting styles do. This company brings it to Australia: http://www.veganperfection.com.au

If you can't find it in any health food stores, just send them an email and they should be able to tell you where you can get some.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au