Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vaccine Advice - Traveling to Bali

Leaving at the end of the week

1 - 10 of 10 posts

deelouise deelouise QLD Posts: 1
1 5 Dec 2017
Yes i have left this to the last minute.

Im leaving to Bali on Sunday and im looking for some advice from travelers.

I will be consulting on doctor on Friday but i would also like the gain further insight of other peoples experiences.

We will be in Bali for just under 4 weeks.
Traveling to Seminyak, Ubud, Lombok and Uluwato.

My question is.... Which vaccines do you think are necessary to have prior to traveling to Bali?

Im Vegan, i'm not against vaccines but im also not for them but i wont go into details.

Thanks in advance,

Dee
ReplyQuote

robert99 robert99 Sweden Posts: 1360
2 5 Dec 2017
ReplyQuote

BlueberryCacaoMuffin BlueberryCacaoMuffin VIC Posts: 9
3 31 May 2018
I’m not completely against vaccinations because some people might need them. But personally for myself, I don’t feel that I need to inject chemicals into my body to be healthy and disease free. I rarely get sick and have a really strong immune system. A plant based diet, exercise, sunshine, fresh air and enough sleep every night has provided me with an optimum & vibrant state of health for many years. It’s nearly Winter in Melbourne (1st june), which means Flu season has arrived. Every year I see other people getting sick with flu symptoms and I haven’t had the flu in 10+ years. Hypothetically speaking, if I became infected with a serious disease. I’m confident I have the skills and ability to treat and heal myself because of the knowledge I have of Alternative/natural/holistic treatments.

There’s something I don’t think most people (vegans & meat eaters) are aware of. Some of the vaccines have been exposed to animal ingredients and/or contain animal ingredients. Therefore, they aren’t vegan friendly. This is one of the reasons why I prefer not to vaccinate in Australia. If I travel to a different country, I’ll research what types of diseases are prevalent over there and consider the risks and decide if vaccination is necessary. But while living in Australia, I don’t think injecting myself with chemicals is needed. I prefer not to eat anything that has animal ingredients, why would I inject something into my blood stream/body that contains or has been exposed to animal ingredients?
ReplyQuote

4 31 May 2018
I found the websites that have information about the vaccines made for Australia and you can read the ingredients in the Product information pdf files.

This one is for the influenza (Flu) vaccine. In the Afluria Quad Product information pdf. It says this “The vaccine is prepared from virus grown in the allantoic cavity of embryonated eggs”. www.seqirus.com.au/s1/cs/aucb/1196562673365/Web_Product_C/1252903173690/ProductDetail.htm

The Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine isn’t vegan because when it’s made. The process involves propagating (growing/cultivating) in chick embryo cell cultures. “derived from Enders' attenuated Edmonston strain and propagated in chick embryo cell cultures; the Jeryl Lynn (B level) strain of mumps virus propagated in chick embryo cell cultures ”. www.seqirus.com.au/s1/cs/aucb/1196562673365/Web_Product_C/1255929630518/ProductDetail.htm

The Pneumococcal Vaccine has been exposed to Bovine (related to cows or cattle). “The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived material”.
www.seqirus.com.au/s1/cs/aucb/1196562673365/Web_Product_C/1196562642806/ProductDetail.htm

The Hepatitis A vaccine contains Bovine albumin (protein from cows).
http://www.seqirus.com.au/s1/cs/aucb/1196562673365/Web_Product_C/1196562642888/ProductDetail.htm

The Varicella Virus Vaccine (Chicken pox) is propagated in embryonic guinea pig cell cultures. It also contains Bovine serum.
http://www.seqirus.com.au/s1/cs/aucb/1196562673365/Web_Product_C/1196562634546/ProductDetail.htm

The Vivotif Typhoid Vaccine (capsules) are exposed to Bovine derived material. www.seqirus.com.au/s1/cs/aucb/1196562673365/Web_Product_C/1196562642917/ProductDetail.htm

The Zostavax vaccine for shingles is propagated in embryonic guinea pig cell cultures, contains processed gelatin and bovine calf serum.
www.seqirus.com.au/products/Zostavax
ReplyQuote

5 31 May 2018
There are 2 more websites with information on vaccines and what ingredients they contain. I don’t have time to check all of them right now. I’ll probably do it tomorrow when I have free time.

www.sanofi.com.au/l/au/en/layout.jsp?scat=006D1C31-ADDE-4B54-8186-9763C68E74A7

http://au.gsk.com/en-au/products/our-prescription-medicines-and-vaccines/
ReplyQuote

robert99 robert99 Sweden Posts: 1360
6 31 May 2018
Thanks for taking the time to research the info happy

The current state of Bali (see e.g. https://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/asia/bali-declares-garbage-emergency-amid-sea-of-waste/news-story/3a18c66757d8d832f294fc90a3b4e1ab ) is a good example of the problem of tourism.
ReplyQuote

7 6 Jun 2018
Thanks, the intention I had was to raise awareness and share information concerning animal ingredients in vaccines. I’m not trying to convince people if they should vaccinate or not. It’s up to them to decide for themselves. After doing this research, it made me wonder if using animal ingredients is necessary or needed. If it’s possible; I think they should use a different manufacturing process and alternative ingredients to make vaccines, instead of animal ingredients. In the past, there was a time when there weren’t medications/pills/supplements that were Vegan friendly. But these days, there are various brands available which don’t contain animal ingredients and are suitable for Vegans. Maybe one day in the future, vaccines can also evolve and animal ingredients aren’t required.
ReplyQuote

8 6 Jun 2018
I’ll finish posting the list of other vaccines that have been exposed to and/or contain animal ingredients.

These vaccines are from the Sanofi website.

1. The Adacel vaccine is for whooping cough(pertussis), tetanus and diphtheria. When it’s manufactured, it’s been exposed to bovine materials.

2. Adacel Polio vaccine is for whooping cough(pertussis), tetanus, diphtheria and
polio. When it’s manufactured, it’s been exposed to bovine materials.

3. Avaxim vaccine is for Hepatitis A. It contains Bovine Serum Albumin (trace) and exposed to bovine materials.

4. FluQuadri and FluQuadri Junior vaccines are for influenza. They contain ovalbumin (egg protein).

5. The Fluzone High-Dose vaccine is for influenza and it contains ovalbumin (egg protein).

6. Hexaxim vaccine is for diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, poliomyelitis and serious diseases caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b. (It’s exposed to bovine materials).

7. The IPOL vaccine is for poliomyelitis (polio). It contains Bovine serum albumin and exposed to bovine materials.

8. “Imogram is used to help prevent rabies infection in people who have been bitten, licked or scratched by a rabies-infected animal”. I don’t see any animal ingredients for this vaccine but it has a “Special warning”.

9. The IMOJEV vaccine helps to protect you or your child against Japanese encephalitis. (There aren’t any animal ingredients in this vaccine).

10. “Menactra is given to protect persons 9 months through 55 years of age
against meningococcal disease caused by four groups of Neisseria meningitidis (A, C, Y and W-135)”. There aren’t any animal ingredients in this vaccine.

11. “MIRV is a vaccine used to help prevent rabies infection in people who have been, or are likely to be, bitten, licked or scratched by an animal that has rabies. Rabies is a serious infection caused by a virus. The virus affects the brain. Rabies is fatal if not treated early”. (This vaccine is exposed to bovine materials).

12. “Quadracel is a vaccine used to help prevent whooping cough, tetanus, diphtheria and polio”. (It contains Albumin bovine serum and exposed to bovine materials).

13. “STAMARIL is a vaccine that provides protection against a serious infectious disease called yellow fever. Yellow fever occurs in certain areas of the world and is spread to people through the bites of infected mosquitoes”. (This vaccine is produced in specified pathogen-free chick embryos and exposed to bovine materials).

14. “TRIPACEL is a combination vaccine used to help prevent three diseases, diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis), in infants and children”. (It’s been exposed to bovine derive materials).

15. “Typhim Vi is a vaccine used to help prevent typhoid fever, which is caused by a bacterium called Salmonella typhi. The organism which causes typhoid fever can be passed on through contaminated food or water. If you are in an area where there is a risk of getting typhoid fever, in addition to having Typhim Vi, it is also very important to be careful with your personal, food and water hygiene. Hygiene will also help avoid illness caused by other bacteria in the water”. (It’s been exposed to bovine materials).

16. “VIVAXIM is a vaccine used to help prevent typhoid fever and hepatitis A disease in adults aged 16 years and older who are at risk of these diseases”. (It contains Bovine Serum Albumin and exposed to bovine derived materials).
ReplyQuote

9 6 Jun 2018
These vaccines are from the “Consumer Medicine information” files on the GSK website.

1. BEXSERO is a meningococcal group B vaccine. BEXSERO is given to individuals from 2 months of age and older to help protect against disease caused by bacteria called Neisseria meningitidis group B. (There aren’t animal ingredients in this vaccine).

2. BOOSTRIX is a vaccine used as a booster to prevent three diseases: diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough) in adults and children aged 4 years and older who have been previously vaccinated against these diseases. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

3. BOOSTRIX-IPV is a vaccine used as a booster to prevent four diseases, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and poliomyelitis (polio) in adults and children aged 4 years and older who have been previously vaccinated against these diseases. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

4. CERVARIX is a vaccine used in females from 10 to 45 years of age to prevent early stage cervical cancers (pre-cancerous lesions), pap smear abnormalities and cervical cancer caused by human papillomaviruses (HPV) types 16 and 18. (There aren’t animal ingredients in this vaccine).

5. ENGERIX-B is a vaccine used to protect you or your child against Hepatitis B infection. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

6. FLUARIX TETRA is used to help prevent certain types of influenza. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials.)

7. HAVRIX is a vaccine used to prevent Hepatitis A infection. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

8. HIBERIX is a non-infectious vaccine used to prevent Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) infection in children aged 2 months to 5 years. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

9. INFANRIX is a vaccine used to prevent three diseases, diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (whooping cough). The vaccine is sometimes called DTPa vaccine. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

10. INFANRIX hexa is a vaccine used to prevent six diseases: diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, poliomyelitis (polio) and Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib). (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

11. INFANRIX-IPV is a vaccine used in infants from 6 weeks of age and over to prevent four diseases, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and poliomyelitis (polio). (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

12. MENITORIX is a vaccine that can be given to children to prevent illness caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) and Neisseria meningitidis group C (MenC) bacteria. (There aren’t animal ingredients in this vaccine).

13. MENVEO is a vaccine used for active immunisation of children (from 2 months of age), adolescents and adults to prevent invasive disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A, C, W-135 and Y. (There aren’t animal ingredients in this vaccine).

14. PRIORIX-TETRA is a vaccine used to prevent four diseases, measles, mumps, rubella (German measles) and varicella (chickenpox). (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

15. PRIORIX is a vaccine used to prevent three diseases, measles, mumps and rubella (German measles). The vaccine is sometimes called MMR vaccine. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

16. RABIPUR is a vaccine used to help prevent rabies infection in people who either • have been, or • are at risk of being bitten, licked or scratched by an animal infected with rabies virus. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

17. ROTARIX is a viral vaccine that helps to protect your child against gastro-enteritis (diarrhoea and vomiting) caused by rotavirus infection. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

18. TWINRIX is a combination vaccine used to prevent hepatitis A and hepatitis B infection.(The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

19. TYPHERIX is a vaccine used to prevent typhoid fever in adults and children aged two and above. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

20. VARILRIX is a vaccine used in children aged 9 months or older, adolescents and adults to prevent chickenpox. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).

VARILRIX (human albumin free) is a vaccine used in children aged 9 months or older, adolescents and adults to prevent chickenpox. (The manufacture of this product includes exposure to bovine derived materials).
ReplyQuote

10 6 Jun 2018
I saw this article today and thought it was relevant to this discussion. There’s a doctor who thinks the flu vaccine is weak and not effective. He recommends wearing face masks, washing hands and proper sanitization to protect against the flu.

www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/doctor-pushes-for-handwashing-and-maskwearing-over-weak-vaccine/news-story/466a6d8c693022a3669d3d2f5949a571
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au