Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Soap

What soap are you using?

1 - 9 of 9 posts

SueM SueM VIC Posts: 38
1 3 Mar 2019
Ive been using natures organics shower gel for both body wash and hand soap but lm a bit concerned now as l was reading reports about peoples hair falling out with use of their shampoo. My mum gets skin burns when using their dishwashing liquid. Im thinking because theyre so cheap lm concerned about nasties.
So l want to upgrade a bit but lm looking for something thats available locally. Ecostore is available at woolworths but its a bit pricey.
Theres one called priya thats available at woolies and says it cruelty free on the package but theyre owned by CTD in the bag who are a large company in partnership with many other comapnies (so lm a bit wary). Ive emailed them to see what they say and will post their reply.

What soap are you using?
ReplyQuote

2 6 Mar 2019
I just found out Dove has been accredited with Peta. They are close to perfectly cruelty free but the following article explains why theyre at risk of being tested.

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/news/dove-cruelty-free-update/
ReplyQuote

3 8 Mar 2019
Regarding Priya soap. If you are using it, it might not be the best option.
I contacted CTD who make priya soap. I asked them if they test, if their ingredients are tested, if any 3rd party tests on their behalf, if they sell in china. They asked me what product l was referring to as they said they have a large portfolio of products (warning bells). I advised that l was referring to CTD overall and they never replied. Not a great response. Id think twice about using it.
ReplyQuote

4 27 Mar 2019
SueM said:
I just found out Dove has been accredited with Peta. They are close to perfectly cruelty free but the following article explains why theyre at risk of being tested.

Peta just sent me the following about Dove ....

Unilever’s brand Dove—one of the most widely recognized and conveniently available personal-care product brands in the world—has banned all tests on animals anywhere in the world and has been added to PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies cruelty-free list.

Unilever has taken significant steps to reduce the number of animal tests that it conducts and to contribute funds and scientific expertise to the development of non-animal test methods. The company has banned all animal tests not required by law for all the rest of its products. Unilever has been added to PETA’s “Working for Regulatory Change” list. This category recognizes companies that test on animals only when explicitly required by law, that are completely transparent with PETA about what tests on animals have been conducted and why, and that work diligently to promote the development, validation, and acceptance of non-animal methods.

(So it sounds like Unliever could still be selling to china if theyre still testing where law requires. Im so disappointed....thought l had found my soap solution )
ReplyQuote

5 28 Mar 2019
SueM said:
SueM said:

Peta just sent me the following about Dove ....

Unilever’s brand Dove—one of the most widely recognized and conveniently available personal-care product brands in the world—has banned all tests on animals anywhere in the world and has been added to PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies cruelty-free list.

Unilever has taken significant steps to reduce the number of animal tests that it conducts and to contribute funds and scientific expertise to the development of non-animal test methods. The company has banned all animal tests not required by law for all the rest of its products. Unilever has been added to PETA’s “Working for Regulatory Change” list. This category recognizes companies that test on animals only when explicitly required by law, that are completely transparent with PETA about what tests on animals have been conducted and why, and that work diligently to promote the development, validation, and acceptance of non-animal methods.

(So it sounds like Unliever could still be selling to china if theyre still testing where law requires. Im so disappointed....thought l had found my soap solution )
Soooo l asked Peta if Uniliever is selling to china and they didnt respond to me. Im so sick of companies (including Peta) not being transparent about things so l sent them the following email....

Sorry but l dont see how Unleiver is different from many other companies. They are still testing where required to by law which suggests they are probably selling to china. In my opinion this does not make Dove cruelty free (as their parent company is not).

I support Peta but l find your accreditation very lax and also l find Peta is not always transparent with me when l ask questions about companies testing and you avoid questions you dont want to answer.

For Petas sake l think transparency with consumers is best even when the answer is not desirable. Anything else causes distrust. It makes consumers think twice about anyone on your accreditation list.

Thanks for hearing me.
Kind regards
Sue

Dont get me wrong l support Peta and grateful for them but lm sick of companies dodging questions and avoiding you when you ask for simple answers.
ReplyQuote

6 28 Mar 2019
Ive decided lm going to stick with Ecostore soap bars from Woolies. At $2.60 a bar its not a cheap option but ld rather spend a bit more than purchase Dove whos parent company Unleiver is "only testing where required to by law". My understanding is that only china requires mandatory testing by law so lm thinking this is a sneaky way of avoiding saying they are selling to china.
ReplyQuote

7 28 Mar 2019
Sukin does a liquid bodywash at about $12 a litre from chem whs and priceline. I just found out and lm chuffed  dance
ReplyQuote

8 29 Mar 2019
(The following from Peta confirms Unileiver ARE still testing their other products in china. They arent testing Dove but this doesnt make Dove cruelty free in my book. )

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your response.

Unilever does sell other brands in China, but it has committed not to do any tests on animals unless it is explicitly required by law, and it is now part of our Working For Regulatory Change category and working with us closely to end the use of animals in cosmetics tests worldwide. Some of its other brands that sell in China do have products that are required to be tested on animals under Chinese law.

Thanks again for writing and for your compassion for animals.
ReplyQuote

9 17 Apr 2019
Ecostore bars from chemist warehouse $2 a bar. Still a bit steep but better than nothing.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au