Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Recipe, anyone??

1 - 10 of 14 posts   1 | 2  

Lea Lea WA Posts: 82
1 10 Jun 2009
Anybody and everybody...what are your favourite vegan/vegetarian recipes and cookbooks?? WOuld love to know so that i could try them out for myself, prove that food without meat CAN taste great to all my mates and also to put on me and my mates blog.
Anyones recipe that goes on the blog will receive a mention and a big thankyou. We wanna spread the word about yummmy recipes so please help us out!
ReplyQuote

ReNe3 ReNe3 VIC Posts: 52
3 11 Jun 2009
mmm... Zucchini Slice is good  happy
next time try replacing one zucchini for a sweet potato it makes it more smooth with a sweeter taste!
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
4 11 Jun 2009
I posted my vegan mixed berry cheesecake recipe a while back on here.... go hunting for it and feel free to share!
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
5 12 Jun 2009
I have a book called 'the vegetarian bible. I could list all the recipes.... lol.

I don't know why, but for kriss kringal this year, I got given 6 cook books by various aunties and uncles, all except oen of them were practically all meat dishes, with two or three pages with 'vegetarian' recipes. Imagine my disapointment when I discovered one of them called for GELATIN! Yes, the meat eater cooks for the unsuspecting vegetarian, and feeds them boiled cows hooves. Yum. *vomit*

If you want some recipes, I'd be more than happy to type them, but not right now. It's kinda late, at 12 38. So i'll take the time, to make some rhymes about my book, for the perfect cook. a vegetarian bible, nothing rhymes with bible.
Omg! i just looked, a whole SECTION devoted to FRUIT!!! *mouth-gasm* lol. ooo.... now we're on to grains.... lol.

hmmm....
'sweet potato and apple soup'
'beetroot salad'
'potato fritters with onion and tomato relish'
'artichoke and pimiento flatbread'
'potato gnocchi with walnut pesto'
'carrot and orange stirfry'
'garlic  mash'
'roasted potato wedges with shallots and rosemary'
'caramelized sweet potatoes'
'roasted root vegtables'
'baked celery with cream'
'asparagus with sweet tomato dressing'
'asparagus and sundried tomato risotto'
'beansprout salad'
'stir fried beansprouts'
'fennel risotto with vodka'

And now we come to fruits and squashes. I'll be happy to post any of the recipes, if you can find a way to message me. I havn't actually cooked any of them yet, because i'm the laziest vegetarian around (yes, i survive on multi vitamins, potato anything and oriental noodles. I do cook healther, but its just that winters comming in, so i'm going through the whole 'too cold to cook' phase. Will be back to eating normal and healthy soon enough).

Don't worry about making me type like 50,000 words, I can do it in a night happy (I typed a 700 word essay in 10 minutes. The teacher was not impressed, because she had to keep me busy for another 80 mins.)

!!! who knew bok choi was spelt pak choi. o.O
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
6 14 Jun 2009
I posted it somewhere, but so that it doesn't get lost, here goes. (Btw, you probably couldn't find it cause it's in a book, and posting it on the internet is technically infringement of copyright XD so, to everyone who works for the goverment somehow, I made htis recipe up myself, it just HAPPENS to be exactly the same as the one found in the book.)

Serves 4:
Ingredients:
* 450 G/1 LB Floury Potatoes
* 44 G/2 OZ... Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
* 1 egg, beaten
* 200 G/7OZ Plain flour, plus extra for dusting
* Salt and pepper
Walnut Pesto
* 40 G/1.5 Oz Fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
* 2 garic cloves
* 175 Ml/^FL OZ extra virgin Olive Oil
* 70 G/2.5 OZ walnut halves
* 40 G/1.5 oz pecorino or parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Instructions:
1. Boil the potatoes in their skins in a large saucepan of water for 30-35 minutes until tender. Drain well and leave to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, to make the walnut pesto, chop the parsley, capers and garlic, then put in a mortar with the oil, walnuts , salt and pepper to taste. Pound to a coarse paste in the mortar with a pestle. Add the pecorino cheese and stir well.

3. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and pass the flesh through a sieve into a large bowl or press through a potato ricer. While still hot, season well with salt and pepper and add the parmesan cheese. Beat in the egg and sift in the flour. Lightly mix together, then turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead lightly until the mixture becomes a smooth dough. If it is too sticky, add a little more flour.

4. Using your hands, roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a long log. Cut into 2.5/1-inch pieces and gently press with a fork to give the traditional ridged effect. Transfer to a  floured baking sheet and cover with a clean tea towel while you make the remaining gnocchi.

5. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the gnocchi, in small batches, and cooked for 1-2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a warmed serving dish to keep warm while you cook the remaining gnocchi.

6. Serve the gnocchi in warmed serving bowls with a good spoonful of the Walnut Pesto on top.

Obviously not vegan. But they do sell vegan parmesan, and egg replacer happy Have fun cooking. I wanna cook gnocchi now. lol.
ReplyQuote

strutty strutty QLD Posts: 87
7 14 Jun 2009
Jamison said:
so, to everyone who works for the goverment somehow, I made htis recipe up myself, it just HAPPENS to be exactly the same as the one found in the book.)
haha luv it.
ReplyQuote

Tracey Tracey QLD Posts: 127
8 20 Jun 2009
Recipe for veg spag bol!

1 onion
2-3 carrots
2-3 celery sticks + leaves
1 zuccini
2 cloves garlic
-either chop small or process in food processor the above ingredients
then fry in fry pan on medium till soft
-add either 1 can sanitarium nutmeat crumbled up, 1 block tofu crumbled up or some tvp soaked.
-add 2 cans chopped tomatoes and 3 tbsp tomato paste and 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried basil and 1-2 bay leaves.
-cook all this together for maybe 20 mins or longer if you like and serve with pasta.
you can also add red wine and cinnamon or different herbs or chilli!

this is yum i promise! and ive never had a complaint from a vego or meat eater!

this makes quite a bit, enough for maybe 4-5 good serves
ReplyQuote

Tracey Tracey QLD Posts: 127
9 1 Jul 2009
my version of scrambled tofu!

1 grated carrot
1 chopped onion
1 chopped tomato
1 block hard tofu crumbled 350g?

cook the onion and carrot till softened then add the tofu and tomato,

add the following for flavour, to your taste:
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
pepper
juice of 1/2 -1 lemon
pinch basil
inch thyme
dash chilli

cook it all for at least 5 more minutes and serve!

optional: spinach, ony old vegies you feel like and more or less of the above flavours.
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
10 2 Jul 2009
Unleashed Admin
Tracey said:
my version of scrambled tofu!
Yum! Thanks Tracey! happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au