Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

can faux leather smell?

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
1 10 Feb 2010
My friend bought me a new purse/wallet for my birthday. When I saw it, I immediately freaked out on the inside because it looked like leather. She gave it to me at school, so as soon as I got home I checked and the tag on the inside said it was polyurethane. So I have been using it for a weeks or so. But then last night i happened to have it near my face and when I put it closer it had that leather smell. So now I am really worried. I googled whether polyurethane could smell like leather but there seemed to be answers for both sides, nothing really definitive. Would anyone be able to tell me if polyurethane smells? And if it is leather, how should I tell my friend that I can no longer use it, without hurting her feelings?
ReplyQuote

Lancastrian Lancastrian VIC Posts: 310
2 10 Feb 2010
Personally I'd just use it for a while, and then some months later 'lose it'.
No point in hurting your friends feelings, it's not going to bring the cow back.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
3 10 Feb 2010
Unleashed Admin
I ordered something online a while ago that I thought was faux leather. When I received it I was very disturbed by the smell too... and so I started doubting it was faux. But I did some googling and found that it was indeed faux.

So I wouldn't be surprised if faux leather is sometimes 'scented' to smell like the real thing. There's a whole science to flavour additives and product fragrants. The fact it smells like leather may mean it's real, but if it says it's fake, then it probably just mean that they doused it in some chemical concoction that makes it smell like leather...
ReplyQuote

pitterpatter pitterpatter QLD Posts: 376
4 10 Feb 2010
Jesse said:
The fact it smells like leather may mean it's real, but if it says it's fake, then it probably just mean that they doused it in some chemical concoction that makes it smell like leather...
Because leather smells so darn good we want to smell it all the time!  (Warning: Previous comment may contain traces of sarcasm).

Oh and I have a fake leather wallet and it smells pretty bad too.  So I think that either the fake stuff smells similar or, like Jesse said, they dunk it something smelly.
ReplyQuote

Cj Cj NSW Posts: 378
5 10 Feb 2010
pitterpatter said:
Jesse said:
The fact it smells like leather may mean it's real, but if it says it's fake, then it probably just mean that they doused it in some chemical concoction that makes it smell like leather...
Because leather smells so darn good we want to smell it all the time!  (Warning: Previous comment may contain traces of sarcasm).

Oh and I have a fake leather wallet and it smells pretty bad too.  So I think that either the fake stuff smells similar or, like Jesse said, they dunk it something smelly.
Probably dunked in Lynx Instinct Deorderaunt? (lame joke)

But yeah, agrreeing with Jesse and Pitter. That is most likely the case, but if you happen to know a blacksmith or saddler whatever you call them he might be able to identify if its faux or npt
ReplyQuote

Nelly! Nelly! QLD Posts: 237
6 10 Feb 2010
I have a fake leather wallet (also a gift) and mine smells too
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
7 10 Feb 2010
random question, not for me but for anyone who owns a horse, is there faux leather saddle gear? and if so would that last anywhere near as long as a leather one? i dont own a horse, just curious actually
ReplyQuote

Ruin Ruin VIC Posts: 198
8 11 Feb 2010
I have something that's made from polyurethane as well and when I first got it I thought it was leather too.

I think it could be a chemical that might be used in leather production as well.
I wouldn't worry about it being leather, but it the smell is offputting a few drops of essential oil on the inside should fix it happy

HA! Missing leather smell. I can't walk past a Leather Republic without gagging. confused
ReplyQuote

pitterpatter pitterpatter QLD Posts: 376
9 11 Feb 2010
Cj said:
Probably dunked in Lynx Instinct Deorderaunt? (lame joke)
HAHAHA BOOM BOOM! ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
10 12 Feb 2010
thanks guys happy that was what i had read on the internet but then there were also a few conflicting reports.......why anyone would want a faux leather item to smell of leather is beyond me! I might try and find out specifically, but if not I might trust the label.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au