Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Rabbits & Foxes

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
1 10 Feb 2010
Anyone in Melbourne may have seen the "save our wildlife' posters with foxes on them with a link to the website ssaa.org.au at the bottom.

Check out the site.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on 'introduced species' management...
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
2 10 Feb 2010
I've wanted to speak to an "expert" for a long time about their opinions on pest control and introduced species. I say "expert" as I can't really think of a better term.
Yes, Im sure this topic is rather controversial, and introduced species is yet another mistake that humankind has made which makes me grrrr. I can't come up with a definite conclusion by myself, however it is obvious that I am completely against the barbaric forms of 'pest control' (i.e poison, foot traps, shooting)
ReplyQuote

pitterpatter pitterpatter QLD Posts: 376
3 10 Feb 2010
Capture them and ship them back home?...  But I guess that'd be "too expensive".  But I don't see how they should be killed for our mistakes.
ReplyQuote

emileee emileee NSW Posts: 514
4 10 Feb 2010
this is something that really gets me. its not the foxes falt that he is a 'pest' >__< stupid europeans for introducing them to australia.

i think they should some how make all of the 'pest' species sterile so they can still live happy little lives but cant breed so eventually the will slowy disapear from australia.
Sounds 100 times better then baiting them

love happy
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
5 10 Feb 2010
Am I the only one who loves foxes? O.o I get excited when I see one (they live around my area).

It goes the same for the wild rabbits I have in my area - which is why I have foxes..... but meh.

Either way I smile and my spirits lift when I see these animals.

It is not their fault they are here and are now called pests. Nor is it the fault of canetoads that the same thing happened to them - but we all want them dead. How is that fair?
ReplyQuote

Aweso_ me Aweso_ me VIC Posts: 280
6 10 Feb 2010
RaV3N said:
Am I the only one who loves foxes? O.o I get excited when I see one (they live around my area).

It goes the same for the wild rabbits I have in my area - which is why I have foxes..... but meh.

It is not their fault they are here and are now called pests. Nor is it the fault of canetoads that the same thing happened to them - but we all want them dead. How is that fair?
same i have heaps of rabbits and foxes around my area, im kinda scared of them cause when i was out at night looking for my dog, i thought i found him and soon found out it was a fox looking straight at me
ReplyQuote

pitterpatter pitterpatter QLD Posts: 376
7 11 Feb 2010
Oh, I think they're cute, I just think that they should be placed back in an ecosystem that's developed to handle their impact.  That's not to say that eventually Australia's native wildlife will become adapted to these 'invaders' or something, it'd just be good if we could reverse our mistakes.  Isn't it true that toads have been taking over the ecological niche that was originally taken up by our native frogs who now have a lot more competition for food and shelter?  Also they kill any predators (birds, snakes, lizards) that attempt to eat them so that's not good either sad.  I'm not saying that they should die for their mistakes, but I think that it is our responsibility to fix our mistakes...  Although there are a LOT of different feral species in Australia; rabbits, foxes, hares, cane toads, camels and more, and a lot of plant species too.
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
8 15 Feb 2010
I think they are cute, but it is really upsetting when the foxies kill our chookies.
We lock them up when we go out now, but quite a few years ago we never did, and while we were out,  a fox came and killed about 6-7 of our chooks, so we started locking them up when we went out, but then while we were at home one day, the fox came again. I can't remember if he suceeded in taking anymore, but we realised that they were very cunning and it was really sad because they took a few of our chooks, and we found some others that didn't have any bite marks on them or anything, they had just died of fright. A lot of people don't realise that they CAN die of fright, but ours did.
I try to see foxes in a positive light, but it is hard after that. Though people killing them makes me sick.
And rabbits, we don't have many around the area I live, so I don't really think about them, but I suppose they are kind of cute with their big ears and all.
ReplyQuote

Cj Cj NSW Posts: 378
9 15 Feb 2010
RaV3N said:

No, i love foxes!

I find that foxes and rabbits are totally fine! I dont regard them as pests
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
10 15 Feb 2010
I think foxes are the most intelligent, sleek, beautiful animals, and to kill any "pests" is hugely hypocritical, humans are the biggest pests on the planet.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au