Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Cane toad slaughter

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Teweesa! Teweesa! NSW Posts: 95
1 19 Feb 2010
I found this article this morning: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1014294/cane-toads-face-death-by-cat-food

It made me ill to think of those poor toads being eaten alive. How can people think this is an acceptable way to get rid of them? I understand the need to control the cane toad population, but this is NOT the way.

I want to do something, but I don't know where to start.
ReplyQuote

Apple Scruff Apple Scruff VIC Posts: 180
2 19 Feb 2010
Camels, deer, foxes, rabbits, cane toads....... they slaughter them all in the name of 'pest control'. Even Kangaroos and pigs!

When will people take some responsibillity....
ReplyQuote

Cj Cj NSW Posts: 378
3 19 Feb 2010
Apple Scruff said:
Camels, deer, foxes, rabbits, cane toads....... they slaughter them all in the name of 'pest control'. Even Kangaroos and pigs!

Agreed. The number of canetoads DO need to go down, but this was so not what i had thought it would come to.

Another advertising idea, a human getting eaten alive the way those cane toads are would put a lot of people off that method.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
4 24 Feb 2010
Where I'm from they have cane toad days in suburbs, where you capture as many cane toads as you can, the person who catches the biggest one of the day gets a prize, and then they all go into a freezer. I really do condone days like this, because cane toads are destroying our native flora and fauna.

As for things like Kangaroos, I more so condone the eating of Kangaroos in Australia than cattle, from an environmental point of view that is. The way they are farmed is pretty humane, they don't have an enclosure, They're are happy until someone shoots them, they don't see it coming. If it's got to be done, honestly, that's the way to do it!
Well, that's my two cents anyway.
ReplyQuote

krystaljadexvx krystaljadexvx QLD Posts: 259
5 24 Feb 2010
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Where I'm from they have cane toad days in suburbs, where you capture as many cane toads as you can, the person who catches the biggest one of the day gets a prize, and then they all go into a freezer. I really do condone days like this, because cane toads are destroying our native flora and fauna.

As for things like Kangaroos, I more so condone the eating of Kangaroos in Australia than cattle, from an environmental point of view that is. The way they are farmed is pretty humane, they don't have an enclosure, They're are happy until someone shoots them, they don't see it coming. If it's got to be done, honestly, that's the way to do it!
Well, that's my two cents anyway.
i disagree. i find it's inhumane and just as cruel as any other slaughter. i had a why vegan booklet from vegsoc but i can't find it, this is the best i could find from the pamphlet, in the one i had it had what was legal to do to kangaroos, and included things like smashing joeys heads on bullbars of cars and such.

Kangaroo Slaughter
It is interesting that outlets that sell kangaroo meat, and the industry, try to defend the kangaroo massacre, rather than admit that these wild animals are killed for money. Even State Governments in Australia concede that the huge numbers killed now has nothing to do with damage mitigation or population control; it is simply a profit making exercise. They die cruelly, painfully and needlessly in the greatest extermination of wild animals ever carried out on the planet.
JULIET GELLATLEY BSc (Zoology), Director of Viva!
Under Fire
A Viva! Report on The Killing of Kangaroos for Meat and Skin

The total amount of kangaroos and joeys killed legally (and illegally) every year
in Australia is nine million.

and it had some interesting facts that if australians switched to eating more kangaroo meat, they would be endangered.

http://www.savethekangaroo.com/resources/KangarooReport.shtml

i look upon people who eat kangaroo as i do people who eat veal - disgusting.
ReplyQuote

6 24 Feb 2010
ah, that was it. they have their skulls pulverised over a bull-bar.
ReplyQuote

duanne duanne VIC Posts: 32
7 24 Feb 2010
did you realisekangaroo numbers are higher now than at any time in history.more than 20 million of them.more roos than humans.endangered i lol
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
8 24 Feb 2010
Unleashed Admin
krystaljadexvx said:
ah, that was it. they have their skulls pulverised over a bull-bar.
You're right, this is how the Government codes of practice say people should be killing the joeys of mothers that they shoot. You're supposed to decapitate them of slam them against a hard object, like a tow bar.

www.animalsaustralia.org/features/kangaroo_code_sanctions_cruelty.php

Joeys!!!  cry
ReplyQuote

9 24 Feb 2010
so sad sad they're so cute.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
10 24 Feb 2010
Apple Scruff said:

ud think they'd try and work out a humane way to kill em, ugh this is all their fault not the animals
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au