Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan Cupcake Recipe might not be vegan?

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Peterabbid Peterabbid VIC Posts: 9
1 12 Mar 2010
Hey everyone, I read the recipe for the vegan cupcakes and I'm really eager to make some,  they sound great.

But I saw that there is a 'oreo icing' and this concerned me because I recently read an article that said some of Kraft's sugar suppliers use cane sugar which is refined with 'bone char' made from.. well, charred animal bones.

'Kraft has several sugar suppliers. Sugar in our products can come from either sugar cane or sugar beets, depending on availability.

Some of our suppliers DO use the animal-derived natural charcoal (also known as "bone char") in their cane sugar refining process and some suppliers DO NOT use this process.'

some vegans think that it's ok because it's not directly being consumed, but just incase you're not one of these people, I thought I'd get it out there.

still planning on making some though, just minus the oreos ecstatic
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
2 13 Mar 2010
im pretty sure oreos are made in th
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
3 13 Mar 2010
the US were u can refine sugar with bone char here they dont do it
but i doont eat oreos anymore cuz of  palm oil sad
ReplyQuote

emileee emileee NSW Posts: 514
4 13 Mar 2010
jack said:
i doont eat oreos anymore cuz of  palm oil sad
Whats the go with palm oil. Like ive never even heard about it before ? What is it ?
confused
ReplyQuote

Peterabbid Peterabbid VIC Posts: 9
5 13 Mar 2010
oh really? i wasn't too sure about the processes here happy

and yes palm oil as well! good point.
ReplyQuote

Ruin Ruin VIC Posts: 198
6 13 Mar 2010
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
7 15 Mar 2010
eMMA-Lee said:
jack said:
i doont eat oreos anymore cuz of  palm oil sad
Whats the go with palm oil. Like ive never even heard about it before ? What is it ?
confused
to get the palm oil, people are cutting down rainforest, etc, that the orangutans (correct?) need, and are leaving them homeless sad
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
8 15 Mar 2010
exactly, the adelaide zoo has a big campaign on that, if you google it im sure theres bound to be plently of sites on it  megaphone
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au