Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

It Does Make a Difference!

1 - 10 of 10 posts

fAeRiEs ArE aFtEr Me fAeRiEs ArE aFtEr Me VIC Posts: 376
1 20 Apr 2010
Hey guys,

I have noticed a few posts on here recently by people who are concerned that going vegetarian/vegan doesn't make a difference. I have also been feeling a little down of late, thinking that there was so much i wanted to change, but couldn't.

This is not true!

I started thinking about how I went vegan. A friend of mine showed me Earthlings, and I went Vegan overnight. If he wouldn't have been vegan, I may never have been either. He also made the change thanks to a vegan friend. I've been vegan a little more than a year now, and since then, I have had 2 friends go Vegetarian, 2 friends go Vegan, and another friend drastically change the products they consumed, namely cosmetics and beauty products.

Im not taking credit for their changes, by any means. But I think that by being the change they wanted to make, and living the example, it may have made it seem easier. I've been there if they had questions, to share and show them the AWESOME cruelty free food I eat, and to recommend documentaries/information to them. I've been living proof of what a happy and healthy lifestyle veganism is. And i'm not a preacher. I never suggested anything that wasn't prompted by them, and I have never been in anyones face about their diet choices.

If all of us, just by being v*gan, are able to affect a couple of people in our lifetimes, and they too affect a couple of people - think about it! That's one hell of a chain we've started!  

So don't think for a second that you're not making a difference, because you are. In fact, I believe there is a little tally of lives at the top of this site to prove it tongue Not to mention the people that notice, and get thinking thanks to you.

So be happy little v*gans, and don't be discouraged by the colossal nature of animal consumption. Everything has to start somewhere, and start small before it gets bigger.
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
2 20 Apr 2010
Yep, I think what you do with your veganism is much more important than whatever you do alone.

The most cruelty-free thing we can do, a part from suicide, is to live naked in a forest.

Is this nudist/naturalist/hippy lifestyle going to change the world? No, it is not.

I know it's a big responsibility for a lot of us, but we all have to understand that being vegan means we must become ambassadors for the animals. We absoultely have to set a clear, easy and healthy example of why being vegan is just so much better than eating animals.

We all will do this in different ways. Some of us will be louder than others, and others softer. Each, just as effective.

But be that example. Be that change you want to see in the world, and help others be it too.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
3 20 Apr 2010
Good post. I know I get discouraged from time to time. But when I see footage of what i'm no longer supporting, I instantly feel better.
ReplyQuote

4 20 Apr 2010
Tanyaka said:
Good post. I know I get discouraged from time to time. But when I see footage of what i'm no longer supporting, I instantly feel better.
Thanks! I know what you mean. As horrible as some of those images are, sometimes it's good to refresh, and remind yourself of why you're doing what you are, and how ridiculously awesome you are for doing it ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
5 20 Apr 2010
Good post! I like your points.

I also just want to add:
If all the vegies in the world became meat eaters, there would be a higher demand of meat meaning the farmers would have to kill more animals. Simple happy
ReplyQuote

6 20 Apr 2010
Callum said:
Good post! I like your points.

I also just want to add:
If all the vegies in the world became meat eaters, there would be a higher demand of meat meaning the farmers would have to kill more animals. Simple happy
Hey, I didn't even think of it that way! Great way to see it!
ReplyQuote

Mimziiii Mimziiii VIC Posts: 105
7 20 Apr 2010
this post reminds me of the movie pay it forward, where one boy doese somthing good for 3 people then those 3 people do something good for another 3 people, and then it ends up reaching another state or something, so what were doing a vegetarians/vegans is reaching people about animal cruelty then they go on and tell some one else and it becomes a massive chain of stoping animal creulty! yay!
ReplyQuote

Tanya M Tanya M VIC Posts: 741
8 20 Apr 2010
I just read "The Animal Activist's Handbook" by Matt Ball & Bruce Friedrich. They take the same line of thinking with regard to leading by example. I found it a really good and encouraging read. And for all those who get frustrated and sometimes angry at omni's, I recommend this book. It has helped me see things from a different perspective, and how much more effective we can be by remaining positive and upbeat in the face of those nuffies we are trying to get the message through to.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
9 20 Apr 2010
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi.
ReplyQuote

10 20 Apr 2010
xMISSMONSTERx said:
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi.
word.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au