Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Reactions to veg*nism

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

MissMadiD MissMadiD VIC Posts: 77
1 13 May 2010
Today a guy asked me out to lunch, and he suggested that we go to the local steak house.
I polity told him that I'd much rather go to an all round restaurant, or go get coffee because I am vegan and a steak house is obviously not my thing.
I have never seen a guy run so fast.
It was really quite amusing, and saddening that eating (or not eating) meat is going to define a relationship or friendship. I shrugged my shoulders, smiled and walked away.  rolleyes

What some common reactions you have had in response to your choices?
Any funny stories you want to share? happy
ReplyQuote

Rach Rach SA Posts: 1
2 14 May 2010
Wow, he's so not worth it!
I told my friends out at lunch yesterday that I had made the transition from just vego to vegan. They were pretty shocked. Got a lot of 'seriously!? why!?' There's a popular misconception that it is unhealthy also. Nobody seems to realise a lot of people go vegan for health reasons alone? Anyway I'm struggling a bit since it is only day 6 of being a vegan but the Earthlings doco is keeping me pretty motivated to stick with it!
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
3 14 May 2010
Well I've had a variety of responses.
My mother and step father (I don't live with them) at first didn't care and mocked me a little bit but now that it's been a couple of years and I've stuck with it they try to help with food when I go down. Last time I was there my mum had bought me a whole lot of ready made vegan meals and made me dinner each night. She only made a mistake the first night when she put fetta in my salad but she didn't know it was dairy (she thought it was soy, LOL) and she never made the mistake again.
My father and step mother (also don't live with) have been pretty negative about it. They've asked me where I get my protein from every time I eat with them and I always give them a different answer. They asked me why and I felt so good telling them "there's protein in everything!". Also they're always offering me non-vegan food; it's annoying.
My boyfriend (who I DO live with) has been REALLY supportive. I've lived with him for just over 7 months and I can count on one hand how many times he's eating animal products in front of me at home. Normally he just cooks dinner for both of us (he's a much better cook them me) and will replace meat with tofu or tempeh. He's a massive tofu fan now as you can get so much more variety in flavour. He's also given up drinking dairy in favour for soy milk (I prefer rice and oat milk but I'm not complaining).
My sister and aunt are both very supportive with my sister trying out veganism and vegetarianism but she couldn't stick to it but never pays me out whilst my aunt is always asking really intelligent questions; donates money to animal welfare charities in my name on my birthday and Christmas (that's what I ask everyone to do but she's the only one who does it) and when her friends ask insensitive questions or make negative comments she backs me up!

That's some of my experiences, LOL.
ReplyQuote

Rahh Rahh VIC Posts: 24
4 14 May 2010
My parents brought me up a vegetarian so I’ve been dealing with this my whole life! At the start of the year I decided to go vegan and vocalise it (as sometimes in the past I didn’t want people to know as I was sick of being criticised).

Meat-eating friends took it okay, but I felt that the vegetarians I knew were the most concerned. One said to watch out because I’d probably get really skinny and dark circles under my eyes (which is so not true because I know vegans who are a very healthy weight) and the other was like “wow why would you do that, it’s going to be really hard, you won’t be able to eat anything!” and sort of looked at me like I was an extremist!? I think it may be because they feel a little guilty inside for supporting the dairy industry? Anyway I thought they’d be more supportive.
ReplyQuote

Tofu Ninja Tofu Ninja NSW Posts: 165
5 14 May 2010
Cleobella said:
My parents brought me up a vegetarian so I’ve been dealing with this my whole life! At the start of the year I decided to go vegan and vocalise it (as sometimes in the past I didn’t want people to know as I was sick of being criticised).
I wish I had have been brought up in a vegetarian lifestyle!! You are so lucky! happy

I remember when I first told my Mum and Dad I was going to give veganism a go (after many years of being vegetarian) they acted as if I was joining some crazy cult!
My mum went online and downloaded all these shitty articles about how much my health would suffer. It really tested our relationship. But after about a year of being a vegan she kind of got over it and became really supportive. She is actually now on her way to becoming vegetarian (one or two meat meals a week).

Once people can see the benefits they usually ease up on their preconceptions that vegans=skinny, unhealthy bags of bones.

I've since helped a few mates turn vegetarian, and one vegan. I guess they were all met with the same "OMG, WTF" mentality from their family! haha
ReplyQuote

Belfry Belfry VIC Posts: 70
6 14 May 2010
My future Sister in law asked about our (my fiance & I) new found and much loved Veganism the other day and said she couldn't imagine what we would eat if we weren't eating meat. The only vegan meal she could think of was falafels. The sad thing is that this person is an avid cook and foodie - I can only imagine the amount of meat she consumes if she is clueless about the wonderul world of fruit & veges, nuts, pulses, grains etc! We're only new Vegans but we did have the advantage of being Pescatarians so it made the transition a little easier. It's like a whole new world of cooking has opened up to me - everything I make is an adventure and just feels (and tastes!) so damn good! We only wish we'd made the change sooner!
ReplyQuote

Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
7 14 May 2010
My brother had a bad reaction to my veganism over the weekend.

We were at a picnic, and my mum had pre-marg'ed all the rolls. No big deal, I was happy to go without. But then my brother starts in about cults and fruitarians and me not providing notice about what I won't eat (I've been vegan for 2 years).

He got over it eventually, but he was pretty annoying for a bit there!
ReplyQuote

Tofu Ninja Tofu Ninja NSW Posts: 165
8 14 May 2010
Buttons said:
My brother had a bad reaction to my veganism over the weekend.

We were at a picnic, and my mum had pre-marg'ed all the rolls. No big deal, I was happy to go without. But then my brother starts in about cults and fruitarians and me not providing notice about what I won't eat (I've been vegan for 2 years).

He got over it eventually, but he was pretty annoying for a bit there!
Yeah, I really hate that. When someone makes a mistake and you just say "That's OK, I wont have 'bread' (or whatever product has been tainted with animal products)". Then there is always someone who makes a big issue out of it!
"Blah blah, just eat it blah blah, they went to lots of effort, blah blah..." furious
ReplyQuote

Rahh Rahh VIC Posts: 24
9 14 May 2010
Tofu Ninja said:
I wish I had have been brought up in a vegetarian lifestyle!! You are so lucky! happy
Thanks, with reading all the problems people have had with their families accepting it I guess I am pretty lucky. Although there was a stage when I was younger that I didn’t think that so much, I guess with all the peer pressure and overly opinionated meat-eaters always wanting to have a debate with me. Now is all good though, couldn’t be prouder!
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
10 14 May 2010
Cleobella said:
Tofu Ninja said:
Thanks, with reading all the problems people have had with their families accepting it I guess I am pretty lucky. Although there was a stage when I was younger that I didn’t think that so much, I guess with all the peer pressure and overly opinionated meat-eaters always wanting to have a debate with me. Now is all good though, couldn’t be prouder!
I had this pretty heated argument with someone about how I would raise my kids, and after telling her I would raise them vegan, and when they were old enough to choose for themselves... I couldn't really stop them.
She said to me "You should raise them eating meat, and then let them choose when they're old enough"

Because that sounds logical right?

Apparently all children want is normalcy, but if vegan was the norm at home... it wouldn't matter! Kids go through troubles which aren't at all related to their eating habits, like skin conditions and mental health issues.. and general bullying.
Unfortunately it's just the way it goes sad
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au