Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Reactions to veg*nism

11 - 15 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
11 15 May 2010
Unleashed Admin
xMISSMONSTERx said:
I had this pretty heated argument with someone about how I would raise my kids, and after telling her I would raise them vegan, and when they were old enough to choose for themselves... I couldn't really stop them.
She said to me "You should raise them eating meat, and then let them choose when they're old enough"

Because that sounds logical right?
I've had very similar encounters to this! rolleyes
ReplyQuote

JessicaSmile JessicaSmile WA Posts: 27
12 17 May 2010
Tofu Ninja said:
I wish I had have been brought up in a vegetarian lifestyle!! You are so lucky! happy

I remember when I first told my Mum and Dad I was going to give veganism a go (after many years of being vegetarian) they acted as if I was joining some crazy cult!
My mum went online and downloaded all these shitty articles about how much my health would suffer. It really tested our relationship. But after about a year of being a vegan she kind of got over it and became really supportive. She is actually now on her way to becoming vegetarian (one or two meat meals a week).

Once people can see the benefits they usually ease up on their preconceptions that vegans=skinny, unhealthy bags of bones.

I've since helped a few mates turn vegetarian, and one vegan. I guess they were all met with the same "OMG, WTF" mentality from their family! haha
My Smurf! My parents flipped out, Giving me like a Million Vitimin tablets and downloading all this Shizz about bad health and lacking Smurf knows what but I've stuck with it and my mum has started cooking some vegan friendly meals =]

my friends kind of divided Half supporting me the Other half threatening to slap me in the face with a raw steak =/
ReplyQuote

MissMadiD MissMadiD VIC Posts: 77
13 17 May 2010
Tofu Ninja said:
Once people can see the benefits they usually ease up on their preconceptions that vegans=skinny, unhealthy bags of bones.
I once upon a time had this mentality.
Untill I met a girl who was just amazing. She had been Vegan for 3 years and she just glowed; skin, eyes, hair, body and everything about her said 'healthy and happy'. She wasnt a bag of bones.
I wanted to find that kind of health, and since going vegan, I believe I have found it.

My mum still resents my veganism, but she also resented my choice to be vegetarian as well. Saying that I would loose weight, look like 'death warmed up', that I 'need' meat, question what I am going to eat.
Soooo the rest of my family have steak, mince, chicken, pork or some form of animal product every night of the week, offering me some every night telling me that it wont kill me-
No shit, but think of what HAS been killed before it ended up as 'steak' or 'rump' or 'breast' on your plate.
BUT they do like my minestrone soup and my rice salad. Im working on it happy

Most of my friends know, and when I tell them they are a bit dumbfounded but they are pretty good about it happy
ReplyQuote

VeganAhimsa VeganAhimsa NSW Posts: 53
14 18 May 2010
Interestingly, negative reactions for me come more from advocates rather than from nonvegans. And this is because they dismiss my  position out of hand without considering it. I'm often called "elitist" "purist" "fanatical" "extreme" and a whole host of other pejorative names. I'm an abolitionist animal rights advocate (abolitionist vegan http://www.vegansforpeace.com ) i.e I promote the abolition of animal exploitation and reject the regulation of animal exploitation. My position is that animals deserve at least one right -- the right not to be used as property and that is based only on animal sentience and no other cognitive characteristic. I regard veganism as the moral baseline of the animal rights position; and I reject all violence and I promote activism in the form of creative, non-violent vegan education.

Unfortunately, despite the growing number of abolitionists and acceptance of this position, this position is not understood by many advocates who believe in regulation of animal exploitation, and so they dismiss it out of hand before fully understanding it. Sad really  sad
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
15 18 May 2010
VeganAhimsa said:
. I regard veganism as the moral baseline of the animal rights position; and I reject all violence and I promote activism in the form of creative, non-violent vegan education.
i think you forgot to add ...........The mission of this website is to provide a clear statement of an approach to animal rights that (1) promotes the abolition of animal exploitation and rejects the regulation of animal exploitation; (2) is based only on animal sentience and no other cognitive characteristic,..............
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au