Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegetarian and Vegan survey - Help please! :)

1 - 10 of 42 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

The Fever The Fever SA Posts: 27
1 19 May 2010
I'm doing year 12 at the moment, and for my main English Investigation assignment I'm focussing on the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle and the pros and cons of it (health, environmental, etc). I'm also looking at the effect that the increase in the number of Australian vegetarians and vegans has had on the Australian Meat and Livestock Industry.

As a part of this I've created a survey for Australian vegetarians/vegans so that I can put together some figures to include in the report. If anyone has a spare few minutes I'd love it if you could answer a couple of questions - You'll be doing me a huge favour!

You'll all be presented in a  positive way, I promise! happy

Thank you so, so, so much!! happy

Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  Yes / No

Q2) How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan for?

Q3) Please number from 1 to 5 the things that led to you becoming a vegetarian/vegan (5 being the strongest reason).
__ Animal rights
__ Better health        
__ Environment
__ Food security        
__ Other (please specify)

Q4) Hypothetically speaking, which of these would most encourage you to return to a diet containing meat? Please number from 1 to 5 (with 5 being the strongest reason).
__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat

Q5) What is your opinion of the advertisements used by Australian Meat and Livestock producers? Have these advertisements had any effect on your lifestyle?

Q6) ‘Humans were born to eat meat’. Why do you believe that this statement is believed true by so many Australians?

Thank you again! happy
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
2 19 May 2010
The Fever said:
Yes. happy

3 years

Q3) Please number from 1 to 5 the things that led to you becoming a vegetarian/vegan (5 being the strongest reason).
4 Animal rights
1 Better health        
2 Environment
3 Food security
5 Animal welfare        

Q4) Hypothetically speaking, which of these would most encourage you to return to a diet containing meat? Please number from 1 to 5 (with 5 being the strongest reason).
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
5 The finding out that animals don't have their own interests.

*This one's hard, because to me it's like being asked what would it take you to become a racist.

Q5) What is your opinion of the advertisements used by Australian Meat and Livestock producers? Have these advertisements had any effect on your lifestyle?
These advertisements have had no effect on my lifestyle. However, I've come to be very sceptic of these institutions, as much of what they're advertising is false.

Q6) ‘Humans were born to eat meat’. Why do you believe that this statement is believed true by so many Australians?
We were raised that way. Some of my family were raised in Apartheid South Affrica - they were brought up racist, and it took them time to find out what they had been taught was false and untrue. "Racism is taught" - and so is speciesm.

Thank you again! happy

Thank you! And good luck with your assignment! ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
3 19 May 2010
Q1) Yes I'm a vegan.

Q2) For about 2 1/2 years. It was two years last November.

Q3)
__ Animal rights =4
__ Better health = 2        
__ Environment = 3
__ Food security = 1      

Q4)
__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc). = 4
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc). = 3        
__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security = 2
__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions = 5
__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat = 1

Q5) I don't really feel heavily advertised to about eating animal products. The few advertisements that I've seen have been misleading as they've only taken a few select opinions and sold them as proof. I find it infuriating. It has had no effect on my lifestyle.

Q6) Because I think that biologically we are capable of eating meat. I just don't believe that this is the ideal for our system. I think that it's believed by so many Australians because if you believe something can't be change and just "is what it is" you don't have to think about it or feel guilty about it. Also I think that a lot of people struggle to comprehend what a vegetarian or a vegan would eat; thus they don't entertain the thought.

Hope that helped!!!

P.S Will you please post your report when it's done?? Thanks! BTW go post this on Yahoo! Answers in the Vegetarian and Vegan section for some good answers.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
4 19 May 2010
Awesome job. I was interested in making a facebook survey to try and gauge peoples opinions on factory farming and vegetarian food and to find out how many people care and what the best way to reach different people would be. But I never managed to get around to it. :S

anyway. happy

Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?
Yes

Roughly 6 months

5 Animal rights
3 Better health        
4 Environment
2 Food security        
1 Other (please specify)

4 Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
3 Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
2 Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
1 Accountability of meat industry for its actions
0 Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat
5 Other (please specify) = The artificial meat grown in labs that is being worked on right now was a success

I think they are misleading and it disgusts me that living creatures are being marketed and sold, conditions are lied about and that it is encouraged so strongly. Australia should be encouraging healthy and humane diets!

Hard to break a habit, I think a lot of people have grown up with meat being a normal food to put in to our mouths, we don't associate it with the animals and even when approached with reason against it the barriers go up because our lifestyle is being questioned and it seems too hard to change, so it is easier to believe it is normal and block out the cruelty.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
5 19 May 2010
Unleashed Admin
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  Yes

Q2) How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan for? 8 years

5__ Animal rights
1__ Better health        
4__ Environment
2__ Food security        
3__ Other: Human benefits (eg. more land to grow food for locals in developing countries; eliminating health impacts of animal ag pollution to local communities; etc)

3__ Other: Conclusive proof that animals are not conscious and cannot suffer.
4__ Other: Invention of lab meat.
5__ Other: Severe personal health risks if I did not start eating meat.

Sorry, none of the others would persuade me.

Seeing the deceptive approach they often take to branding their products as feel good, kind to animals, healthy, or environmentally friendly just leaves me with stronger convictions not to support them.

Because we live in a society where this is the norm, and most of us were brought up to eat meat. This also comes down to our society's fixation on the utility of our surroundings... There seems to be an unquestioned assumption in our society that animals and the environment are something to be used - that we should dominate our environment and other animals, rather than living as part of that environment and acknowledging that animals have their own interests that should be considered.
ReplyQuote

CUPCAKES! CUPCAKES! VIC Posts: 177
6 19 May 2010
Vegan

vegan 1.5 years. Vegetarian 2 years before that

_5_ Animal rights
_2_ Better health        
_4_ Environment
_3_ Food security        
_1_ Other (please specify)

_5_ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
_4 Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
3__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
_2_ Accountability of meat industry for its actions

These bother me a lot because they are full of propaganda. They effect my lifestyle because my friends and family are influenced by these ads and sometimes give me a hard time.

They still believe that we are in the same evolutionary stage as cavemen. It's also an excuse to eat meat and not feel guilty.

Thank you again! happy
[/quote]
ReplyQuote

sarahwithanh27 sarahwithanh27 VIC Posts: 439
7 19 May 2010
Vegan (Yes)

Vegetarian roughly a year, then vegan now for about a year and a half.
(So 2 and a half roughly all up)

5 Animal rights
4 Better health        
2 Environment
1 Food security        
3 Other (please specify) Compassion

5 Other (please specify)
The discovery that non-human animals are not actually sentient beings.
Nothing else would encourage me, sorry. ;c

I think they're very underhanded, they show Australian audiences what they want to see, and not what really goes on. All they do is strengthen my resolve to be vegan, because they're such a telling example of the untruthful ways of the meat/livestock industries.

Because we've grown up believing it and being taught that it's a key part of our diet. When that's all you really know, why would you question it?
ReplyQuote

StephVeganXO StephVeganXO QLD Posts: 124
8 19 May 2010
Vegan

Vegetarian nearly 3 years, vegan 5 months

5.Animal rights
4. Better health        
3. Environment
__ Food security        

Thats it

None would.ill never eat meat again!

Really annoys me when you see a ad on tv for a dairy farm or maccas burgers and the cows are out laying in a big feild of grass with the farmer patting them or something...no wonder so many people eat meat its because they belive this crap!What we see on tv and what goes on in slaughter houses/dairy farms is very different.

Because its what they are told. as i mentioned above, people will belive anything they are told its the same in magazine with all the stuff written about celebs..they dont know them but they will belive they are dating so and so or having a affair whatever,
same with meat people are told its the normal thing to do without useing their brain to look and see how it happens etc and if its what they want to do...

Good luck with your assignment!!let us know how you go!
xxx
ReplyQuote

Pomi Pomi VIC Posts: 311
9 19 May 2010
Q1) Yes I'm vegan.

I've been vegetarian since May 09 and went vegan a month or so after that I think,

__ Animal rights  5
__ Better health 3      
__ Environment  4
__ Food security 2        

_3_ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
_2_ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
_4_ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
_1_ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat
_5_ Other: The animals that the meat comes from were all hunted from the wild in a way that respects them and causes the least suffering.
*None of these would actually persuade me, but hypothetically speaking...

They have no effect on my lifestyle and when I see them I begin to wonder about the lives of the animals I see on the ad.. which makes me angry and sad.

Because that's how most people are brought up being told. People seem to think our society has to use animals to function, and even when they know hardly anything about the subect they'll defend their views... it's really really annoying.
ReplyQuote

Mimziiii Mimziiii VIC Posts: 105
10 19 May 2010
yes

3 months

__ Animal rights  4
__ Better health  2      
__ Environment  3
__ Food security   1    
__ Other (please specify) my pet chickens 5

_4_ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
_3_ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
_2_ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
_1_ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
_5_ Other (please specify)   if meat didnt come from animals

no, but they make meat sound like a good thing

because its what they have always known and been brought up by and meat also has lots of nutrients
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au