Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Dissecting At School

1 - 10 of 13 posts   1 | 2  


Zora Zora NSW Posts: 94
1 31 May 2010
Today in science we were dissecting cow eyes and hearts. I didn't because I told my science teacher:
"I am not going to do this prac because i am vegetarian and i conscientiously object to cutting up an animal"

There were some other vegetarians in my class who said they were not going to do the prac, but when the class started they said they'd watch but not actually do the cutting. I saw them hold it and cut it (i didn't look at the poor cow though).

Someone in my class (not vegetarian) said:
"I'd hate to be a vet because i'd feel sorry for the cow"
But she was having heaps of fun cutting it up and making fun of it, i don't get it?!?!



Has this kind of thing ever happened to you?


paw
ReplyQuote

leticia-porth leticia-porth NSW Posts: 151
2 31 May 2010
yea unfortunatley it did once with a rat and once with a chxen wing its disgusting i am planning on talking to the pricpale about it i refused to have any part in it and people were talking about like i was weird and such but im not going to give in its terrible and unessacary im happy u stood up for ur beliefs !  clap
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
3 31 May 2010
We did rats at school. I wasn't vegetarian back then.. but I still didn't like it very much. I was interested in biology and I stayed to watch, although it broke my heart when I saw the rats with their bloodied noses.
People really are disrespectful, some people made their rat dance or something.

Seeing the real thing and being able to touch it and follow the system is better than seeing pictures, but whilst there are videos and pictures available I think it is horrible to kill an animal just to show a bunch of kids. Ya, you're teaching them but come on, in highschool how many of those kids will care and take it in and then use the information?
We worked in pairs and had a rat to each pair.

In Tafe it was .. slightly better. They used their own rats that were due for culling regardless, so they didn't die for the exercise. Although they are bred for the purpose of the course which is a bit iffy. Though they do have a good life and are humanely killed.
Anyway, the teacher ended up only using one rat and doing it herself so we didn't have to do it or use any other rats. Which is better I think. Save it for those who want to become surgeons.

This reminds me of E.T with the frogs in the jars. I love that they get let out and saved. ecstatic YAAAY!
ReplyQuote

Mimziiii Mimziiii VIC Posts: 105
4 31 May 2010
yes, it happened today, our class was disecting a sheeps heart and one vegetarian in my class did it, then there was about 7 of us who didnt want to do it so we sat in another room chillin. but when they were finished disecting the sheeps heart the teachers then handed out other body parts such as livers, brains and so on and every one got really excited, it was gross and smelt bad, let alone cruel to the sheeps.
ReplyQuote

Zora Zora NSW Posts: 94
5 31 May 2010
Mimziiii said:
yes, it happened today, our class was disecting a sheeps heart and one vegetarian in my class did it, then there was about 7 of us who didnt want to do it so we sat in another room chillin. but when they were finished disecting the sheeps heart the teachers then handed out other body parts such as livers, brains and so on and every one got really excited, it was gross and smelt bad, let alone cruel to the sheeps.
Yeah it smelt terrible, and i was feeling sick and i wasnt even looking at the dissection. I'm not good with blood.


paw
ReplyQuote

Zora Zora NSW Posts: 94
6 31 May 2010
leticia-porth said:
yea unfortunatley it did once with a rat and once with a chxen wing its disgusting i am planning on talking to the pricpale about it i refused to have any part in it and people were talking about like i was weird and such but im not going to give in its terrible and unessacary im happy u stood up for ur beliefs !  clap
yeah, i wanted to talk to my principal but its part of the department of educations decision. Maybe we should contact them??

paw
ReplyQuote

Tanya M Tanya M VIC Posts: 741
7 31 May 2010
It's good to hear there are so many vegetarians refusing to take part in dissections these days. Many years ago (22 years in fact), vegetarianism was not very common, and it was exactly this situation in Year 7 science class which was the last straw to turning me vegetarian. I put up with a hell of a lot of teasing and ridicule for walking out on that class, but I stuck to my guns and it was so worth it.

Perhaps Jack could give you some advice on how to approach the decision makers. Check out what he managed to do at his school: http://www.unleashed.org.au/take_action/challenge.php
ReplyQuote

leticia-porth leticia-porth NSW Posts: 151
8 31 May 2010
yea i agree i defos atleast leaving them an email im still talking to my principale to provide alternatives for ppl who dont want to i guess people dont think about ppl might oppose to it lol ill change that. happy
ReplyQuote

leticia-porth leticia-porth NSW Posts: 151
9 31 May 2010
hi,

i got to school at *********** and im concerned
that the school like many others does not offer alternitives to disecting
animals, this must be changed people are missing out on learning
just because they do not wish to see a slaugtered animal be pulled apart
the number of people who oppose to this is growing something must be done yaaaay thts my email to them i hope they listen  
Zara said:
leticia-porth said:
yea unfortunatley it did once with a rat and once with a chxen wing its disgusting i am planning on talking to the pricpale about it i refused to have any part in it and people were talking about like i was weird and such but im not going to give in its terrible and unessacary im happy u stood up for ur beliefs !  clap
yeah, i wanted to talk to my principal but its part of the department of educations decision. Maybe we should contact them??

paw
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
10 1 Jun 2010
I'm so glad I never had to dissect in school...
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au