Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Please Help!

1 - 10 of 13 posts   1 | 2  

Lights Lights NSW Posts: 6
1 6 Jul 2009
my parents wont let me be vegetarian. =[
but i have cut down on the amount of meat i eat (usually only ever have in in spagetti(however u spell it) now) but i still have to eat  chicken (i make mum get free range eggs too)

is there anything else i can possibly do??
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
2 6 Jul 2009
You could try to offer to cook the vegetarian food yourself, so it's not an issue for your parents? Have you told them about the reasons why you want to go veg? You could try to persuade them that you're serious about it by showing them pictures or videos from factory farms etc.

Good luck, and good on you for wanting to make the change!
chick
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
3 7 Jul 2009
Why won't they let you? How old are you?

I agree with April-San by offering to prepare your own meals. Maybe your parents are worried that they will have to start cooking 2 meals now?

Also sitting down and discussing the reasons you want to become veg*n could help them with your decision, and make them see it's not a phase that you are going through.

Maybe print out some recipes from Animals Australia and other vege sites like http://foodgawker.com/page/1/?s=vegan this one has heaps of wikid recipes. And if they feel they still need their meat, they can add the death to their plate later happy

If you need anything we are all here to help. A lot of us have been down the same path.
ReplyQuote

MothWings MothWings NSW Posts: 102
4 7 Jul 2009
Best thing would be to cook for yourself. But if some reason you can't do that, probs shoudn't suggest it, but just refuse to eat the meat they serve. It's what I was gonna do if needed
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
5 7 Jul 2009
When i went vegetarian (now vegan) i arranged (asked) to have a meeting with my parents and sat them down and talked to them ab out the health and environmental reasons behind going veg.  Most importantly for me was animal suffering so i told them about factory farms.
I showed them a vegetarian starter kt from peta and talked about healthy eating

I MUST TELL YOU ABOUT THIS BOOK (free)
its from vegetarian society england and its a vego book for both teens and parents
so the parts for parents to know in the subject is shaded purple ans the one for parentsis shaded green

Order one i highly recomend it
and good luck
ReplyQuote

6 7 Jul 2009
Thanks For All Of Your Ideas! happy
I will try to persuade them with your suggestions.
I'm 15, for the person who asked (sorry i forgot your name!)
And I have told them my reasons. My dad made me cry, and both of my parents are like 'So? It's already dead' =/
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
7 7 Jul 2009
Lights said:
And I have told them my reasons. My dad made me cry, and both of my parents are like 'So? It's already dead' =/
make sure you tell them it is ONLY DEAD because people eat it. It would never have died, and lived in the conditions it did, if people did not eat it.

tell them, on average, a vegetarian saves 100 animal lives (hence our animals-saved-by-unleashed-members-counter in the top right hand corner) and saves more energy than a prius driver.
ReplyQuote

8 7 Jul 2009
Matt.Y said:
Lights said:
make sure you tell them it is ONLY DEAD because people eat it. It would never have died, and lived in the conditions it did, if people did not eat it.

tell them, on average, a vegetarian saves 100 animal lives (hence our animals-saved-by-unleashed-members-counter in the top right hand corner) and saves more energy than a prius driver.
ok happy

i just looked on ataac.com and they said that you cant say you love animals if you sit down and eat them. sad
that makes me feel bad, it's not entirely my fault. oh well, i'm getting there! happy
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
9 7 Jul 2009
Everyone has given really good advice. Have all your facts ready before you confront them. The Vegetarian/Vegan Society of Queensland also posts a veg info pack out for free, no matter where you live. www.vegsoc.org.au

Be true to yourself and don't give in. Most of us have been thru the same thing. My parents were the same and it just made me more stubborn!
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
10 8 Jul 2009
If they serve you meat, refuse to eat it. If they put steak on your plate, take it back and grab another plate. At 14 I was telling my parents that i don't eat meat, and at the start they said no, but once they realised that I wasn't going to change my mind, they put up with it, and eventually came to accept it.

You may need to argue to make your point, but at 15, your parents shouldn't controll every little action you do, you should have some freedom. And if you need to, tell them its your religion happy (i think buddhists don't eat meat, but don't ask me i'd have no clue lol)

If your parents serve you spaghetti with meat in it, don't eat it. make another pot of spaghetti, cook some chips, make vegan pancakes (allways fun happy ) or vegan biscuits (also very fun, especially when you dye them sickly green colours)

Make a stand, if you must, go without food for the night. Once they realise that you've made YOUR decision that YOU are not going to eat it if it was once moving, they will realise that by preventing you from becoming vegetarian/vegan, they are starving you.

Also, when I first became veg, I just picked the meat out. That way my parents didn't see it as much of a hassle. If we had fried rice, i'd pick out the bacon, because that way my parents didn't have to cook in a separate pot. Now that they've come to realise that I'm not going to change my ways, they cook food for me in a separate pot (i will never eat anything that has touched meat, except chips from the fish and chip shop), or I cook dinner (for everyone) which means that 4 or 5 nighs a week we're not eating meat, because mum's too lazy to cook a seccond pot/tray of food, or i'm cooking dinner. The other nights i'm at friends places cooking for them (or they're cooking for me, which is even better because they're teaching themselves to cook veg) or i'm at home being lazy. Even the sunday roast happens about once every two months, instead of every sunday.

I put too many of () these and not enough of , , these. lol.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au