Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

It's Dessert Time!

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

MissMadiD MissMadiD VIC Posts: 77
1 26 Jun 2010
My boyfriend is new to Vegetarianism and I'd like to make him a yummy vegan cake or something sweet.
But I hardly ever eat sweets, or crave them so I have no idea whats good and whats not.
Share your favorite recipes please!

--
ADMIN EDIT: no all caps titles please.
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
2 27 Jun 2010
Ingredients

1 cup self raising flour

1 cup sugar (caster or white)

1/2 cup rice/soy milk

egg replacer for 2 eggs

2 tbsp cocoa

3 tbsp melted nutelex

1 tsp vanilla essence

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.

2. Beat ingredients with an electric beater until combined.

3. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

I think its my great grandmas recipe or something and it tastes really good (according to me) (:  just cover it with chocolate icing or leave it plain. it tastes less vegan with icing though.

I just use a small amount of nuttelex and chocolate icing sugar (or just add coco to normal icing sugar) and mix. add soy/rice milk if its too thick

here's a photo if you want (:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/art_addict/4708278347/
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
3 27 Jun 2010
Oh vegan baking is gorgeous.

If you are looking for a cake, I've made this cake twice. The first time I did it a bit wrong but it was still nice and the second time I followed the steps perfectly and it was AMAZING. I melted dark chocolate and used that as icing and put strawberries on top. So good. If you cook the mixture in only one cake tin, it could take up to an hour longer to cook. I just kept checking it every 10 minutes. I didn't realise you were meant to make two halves haha. But still, came out great.

Vegan Chocolate Mudcake:
http://whyveg.com/recipes/make_this.php?recipe=17

Or if you want something less fiddly these cupcakes are gorgeous too.

Heavenly Vegan Cupcakes:
http://whyveg.com/recipes/make_this.php?recipe=35

I made them once with the peanut butter icing and the other time I just used cocoa in the icing instead ofthe peanut butter and made a nice chocolate icing. It was a big hit. happy

One more whyveg choccie recipe that i've tried is this:
Vegan Microwave Chocolate Cake:
http://whyveg.com/recipes/make_this.php?recipe=88

5 ingredients. 1 minute cooking time. I couldn't resist.
The first time I tried it i subsituted the nuttelex for oil and it was gross. Then when I got some nuttelex I tried again and it was so good. ecstatic It took actually about 2 minutes to cook coz I just left the entire mixture in the mixing bowl, didn't bother portioning it. Ya, i'm a pig, ate it myself. tongue
Anyway. It's pretty damn good for a quick chocolate fix. It isn't amazing like the proper cakes, but it's goood. happy

Have fun!!! ecstatic
Can't wait to see some other recipes, I don't think i've strayed from whyveg for my baking. I'd LOVE to try a cookie recipe though. Mmmm!!!!
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
4 27 Jun 2010
Shorty said:
I think its my great grandmas recipe or something and it tastes really good (according to me) (:  just cover it with chocolate icing or leave it plain. it tastes less vegan with icing though.
here's a photo if you want (:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/art_addict/4708278347/
That looks tasty. I will try that next time I'm feeling like cake. Good to have a bunch of nice recipes to turn to. ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Jackie Jackie NSW Posts: 229
5 27 Jun 2010
Tanyaka said:
I second these cupcakes if you're after something chocolately - i use choc soy milk, rapadura sugar, & rice bran oil, & everyone i know RAVES about these being the best cupcakes their ever had (& these are omnis speaking!).

A popular variation is when i make them into 'Oreo' cupcakes - i still use the same choc cupcake recipe, but i omit the peanut butter from the frosting recipe, & add crushed Oreos happy
Then i top them with an extra half Oreo each - they look pretty impressive!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3562155&l=d528282550&id=714087209

What kind of desserts does your BF usually like? I'm sure you can find a vegan version of any of his favourites happy
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
6 27 Jun 2010
I make this quite a bit for the non-veganers... I even won a bet with this sometime last year, which resulted in my assistant manager at work going vegetarian for a month happy
Its originally from the Peta Vegan College Cookbook, but I've altered it a bit to make it more aestheticallly pleasing. Very Easy and Delicious. Theres a photo on my profile too if you want to see how it looks.

Finals Week Fudge.

1 cup of dairy free butter (such as Nuttelex)
1 cup of smooth peanut butter
3 cups (approx) of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of cocoa

Line a brownie-fudge tray with baking paper. Put the dairy free butter in a microwave-safe dish and bang it in the microwave for about 20 seconds (until its all melted and warm). Now mix in the peanut butter so the result is this light-brown gooey stuff.
Divide half the mixture into another bowl and add the cocoa to that one ONLY. This will be your chocolate half. Keep adding icing sugar bit-by-bit until it wont take it any more (generally 1.5-2 cups).
Now spread the choc base into the brownie pan so it is about 2cm thick. Pat/smooth the top even using a spoon. Put this straight into the fridge whilst you add icing sugar to the other half of mixture using the same method.
When thats done, take the base out and spread over the same way. Put back in the fridge and leave till set (ideally 30mins).
Cut into small rectangles so theyre ready for OMNOMNOM happy
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
7 27 Jun 2010
ReplyQuote

Jackie Jackie NSW Posts: 229
8 27 Jun 2010
.ellehcoR said:
Finals Week Fudge.
They look great! happy
ReplyQuote

MissMadiD MissMadiD VIC Posts: 77
9 27 Jun 2010
Jackie said:
Tanyaka said:
I second these cupcakes if you're after something chocolately - i use choc soy milk, rapadura sugar, & rice bran oil, & everyone i know RAVES about these being the best cupcakes their ever had (& these are omnis speaking!).

A popular variation is when i make them into 'Oreo' cupcakes - i still use the same choc cupcake recipe, but i omit the peanut butter from the frosting recipe, & add crushed Oreos happy
Then i top them with an extra half Oreo each - they look pretty impressive!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3562155&l=d528282550&id=714087209

What kind of desserts does your BF usually like? I'm sure you can find a vegan version of any of his favourites happy
Oh he likes oreos! This might be a winner happy

These all sound so yummy. I'm going to be a busy little chef happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).