Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Tofu!

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Mel. Mel. NSW Posts: 57
1 2 Jul 2010
I'm vegetarian and really want to become vegan.
Does anyone have any savoury silken tofu recipes?
I know hard tofu is better for savoury dishes but my dad bought me silken tofu and I want to prove to him that being vegan is easy, not difficult!
I can only find silken tofu deserts on the internet, so any recipes will be appreciated  happy
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
2 2 Jul 2010
I would either make a scramble or a quiche.

For a quiche, either make or buy a pie casing (there is a recipe for pie casing on my blog, here: http://thoughtfulkitchen.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/rustic-french-lentil-pie/).  You can pretty much add whatever veges you like, but personally I would saute off some finely chopped leek and onion, add some small dices of carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, some peas and corn and cut up green beans, maybe some mushrooms.  Stir it all through the tofu, with a tablespoon or so of plain flour, some salt and pepper and maybe some fresh herbs.  Pour it all into the pie case, cover the top with slices of tomato and bake until golden and firm!

For a scramble, you can use anything you might have preciously put into scrambled eggs: onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, corn etc.  Mash it all together with the tofu and fry off - just as you would with eggs.  You can add some extra flavour by putting in a dollop of mustard or a splash of soy sauce.  Serve on toast.

I'm a huge fan of silken tofu.  If you want to do something a little more fiddly - deep fried silken tofu dollops = amazing!
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
3 2 Jul 2010
I haven't had much experience with tofu, maybe 3 experiences. Thai veggies and rice - hard tofu, wasn't a fan (though it was before i was veg so wasn't that receptive to it.)
and two chinese stir fries.. just veggies.. soft tofu and rice. With sauce. Sooo yummy.
You could just marinate it and cook it in something like that.

I really want to get in to trying all the different tofus and seeing what I like. ecstatic

Edit - Sorry if silken tofu is different to the soft stuff I just talked about. I'm a tofu noob. Looked silky though tongue
ReplyQuote

4 2 Jul 2010
EJay said:
I would either make a scramble or a quiche.

For a quiche, either make or buy a pie casing (there is a recipe for pie casing on my blog, here: http://thoughtfulkitchen.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/rustic-french-lentil-pie/).  You can pretty much add whatever veges you like, but personally I would saute off some finely chopped leek and onion, add some small dices of carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, some peas and corn and cut up green beans, maybe some mushrooms.  Stir it all through the tofu, with a tablespoon or so of plain flour, some salt and pepper and maybe some fresh herbs.  Pour it all into the pie case, cover the top with slices of tomatoes and bake until golden and firm!

For a scramble, you can use anything you might have preciously put into scrambled eggs: onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, corn etc.  Mash it all together with the tofu and fry off - just as you would with eggs.  You can add some extra flavour by putting in a dollop of mustard or a slash of soy sauce.  Serve on toast.

I'm a huge fan of silken tofu.  If you want to do something a little more fiddly - deep fried silken tofu dollops = amazing!
Thank you so much, I will try all these

happy happy
ReplyQuote

5 2 Jul 2010
Tanyaka said:
I haven't had much experience with tofu, maybe 3 experiences. Thai veggies and rice - hard tofu, wasn't a fan (though it was before i was veg so wasn't that receptive to it.)
and two chinese stir fries.. just veggies.. soft tofu and rice. With sauce. Sooo yummy.

I really want to get in to trying all the different tofus and seeing what I like. ecstatic

Edit - Sorry if silken tofu is different to the soft stuff I just talked about. I'm a tofu noob. Looked silky though tongue
Yum happy.
hahah so am I, but i'm slowly learning

happy
ReplyQuote

6 2 Jul 2010
Tanyaka said:

Yum!
hahah so am I, but i'm slowly learning

happy
ReplyQuote

7 2 Jul 2010
sorry for reply to that twice btw.. ashamed2
ReplyQuote

JaimieCS JaimieCS VIC Posts: 363
8 3 Jul 2010
Silken tofu is great stuff.

I have a few favorites - using it to make a creamy spinach or pumpkin soup (basically wherever the recipe calls for cream or sour cream use the tofu, you can blend it with coconut cream for an asian style (pumpkin with chili and coriander is awesome) or sour it with lemon juice or sumac if necessary.

This is an amazing quiche recipe:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html

make them crustless or use pastry, or i use pita bread instead.

(an alternative: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/03/asparagus-and-mushroom-quiche-with.html - but i find that the mini quiches set better.)

you need to let the quiche cool, then chill it for at least a few hours before you serve it. you can still serve it warm by reheating.

use plenty of spices, yeast and onion powder or they can be a bit bland.

another favorite dish - make a vege lasagne, with layers of sweet potato and spinach/'ricotta' - make the ricotta with tofu, onion powder, yeast, and some vege stock. use a soy milk/nuttelex white sauce, top it with vegan cheese if you can find it, if not, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and yeast/spices.
ReplyQuote

afimelb afimelb VIC Posts: 141
9 4 Jul 2010
if you want a quick dinner chop the tofu into big chunks, soak in soy sauce or chilli and ad to a stir fry with rice or noodles and whatever veggies.

you can lightly fry then first even then add them into the dinner
ReplyQuote

10 4 Jul 2010
Thanks guys  happy
I bought a vego cookbook yesturday which is pretty good too
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au