Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Did you know that the Baiji (Yangtze River Dophin) is extinct due to humans?

1 - 6 of 6 posts

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
1 21 Jul 2010
I've been reading a little bit about it recently.
They were declared "functionally extinct" in 2006 due to "fishing" them; habitat loss and pollution.
I'm really upset about it... I can't believe that we've actually killed off another marine mammal species; that hasn't happened since the 1950's!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangtze_River_Dolphin
ReplyQuote

Ruin Ruin VIC Posts: 198
2 21 Jul 2010
It's so awful sad We are in the year of bio-diversity. And yet 10 000 animals and plant species perish every day. Sixth great extinction indeed sad

We seriously don't deserve this place. So much beauty and wonder on this planet. So rare to find a place where life can live. And we are too concerned with ourselves to see what's happening.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
3 21 Jul 2010
Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me. Humans are the reasons for a lot of things.... something like 60 species become extinct yearly, and half of all living bird and mammal species will be gone within 200 or 300 years. Habitat loss, predators (caused from their hunting zones getting smaller due to urban development), humans, etc.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
4 21 Jul 2010
sad
Sadly, like Raven, this does not surprise me. The human race abuses its home and its fellow creatures with such careless indifference. It truly is heartbreaking.
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
5 22 Jul 2010
It angers me that humans want to take the whole world down with them.
Sadly, this is just one of many examples.  I didn't even know what a Baiji was until I saw this post and googled it... they look like cute little guys happy
ReplyQuote

Silverfire Silverfire VIC Posts: 18
6 22 Jul 2010
OMG really? I did not know this!

That is indeed extremely sad. sad

I had heard they were critically endangered, I really hope 'functionally extinct means there are some left and there's hope the population can rebuild itself.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au