Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

How to become vegetarian when husband doesn't want to

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Ruth Ruth WA Posts: 7
1 24 Jul 2010
Hello, I'm a newbie and this is my first post! I'm hoping to hear some experiences and hopefully advice on becoming vegetarian. I have recently had my 'light bulb' moment and now am fairly certain I want to give up meat. I hope to make the change slowly, because changing habits formed over almost 30 years is not easy!

The challenge for me is that my husband doesn't want to give up meat, and I also have to make a decision about how to feed my daughter (she is almost 18 months old). As the person who does the food shopping and most of the cooking, I don't feel excited about the prospect of making three different meals every night. Two is enough!

Any advice would be appreciated  happy
ReplyQuote

The Sair Scare The Sair Scare WA Posts: 2315
2 24 Jul 2010
Heyyy.
Welcome! happy My name's Sarah.
Congrats on wanting to go veg.
Perhaps talk to your husband about how important this change is for you? At the end of the day, it's your choice, and if you don't want to do a great deal more cooking- eat the same meals, but dish yours up first, then add the meat for your man. tongue Something like that.

Personally, IF I were ever to have kids some time in the DISTANT, INCONCEIVABLE future, I would feed them as vegetarian/vegans, and then when they're old enough to make their choice, sit them down and ask them whether they want to eat meat or not.

^.^ Sorry. Hopefully someone else can offer better advice than a cranky teenage girl who spent the day as a third wheel.
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
3 24 Jul 2010
Ruth said:
Hello, I'm a newbie and this is my first post! I'm hoping to hear some experiences and hopefully advice on becoming vegetarian. I have recently had my 'light bulb' moment and now am fairly certain I want to give up meat. I hope to make the change slowly, because changing habits formed over almost 30 years is not easy!

The challenge for me is that my husband doesn't want to give up meat, and I also have to make a decision about how to feed my daughter (she is almost 18 months old). As the person who does the food shopping and most of the cooking, I don't feel excited about the prospect of making three different meals every night. Two is enough!

Any advice would be appreciated  happy
hi and welcome i hope you find lots of good advice here which im sure you will.
i think if you do most of the cooking you could cook your meatless meals and daughters food and tell your husband you dont feel comfortable cooking the meat and maybe he could just cook that part of his meals.
as for your daughter i have a one year old and me and my husband are raising her vegan.
its not as hard as you think and the best thing about it is because we have been told to believe you need animal products to have healthy children you go out of your way to make sure in one day your child gets everything they need in each meal (i dont think i would even think about if eating and animal product diet as i would assume she is getting what she needs if that makes sense)

after time it may get easier for your husband to understand and may even decrease the meat in his diet. sorry i dont have better advise for you about your husband.
i wish you all the luck with it though
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
4 24 Jul 2010
Hello Ruth happy
Im not married and my boyfriend is turning Vegetarian himself so I cant relate there. But i can relate with the recent eye opening experience. I guess your best bet would be to sit down and have a discussion with your husband. Not arguments tongue Show him the facts on this website and maybe some other websites (maybe not PETA, they can be fanatic at times) Explain how much it would help the environment and save so animals. Explain the cruel side of the industry and how humans see these poor animals as just products for consumstion like carrots or potatos. But these are living things.

I understand your worries about your daughter.. I would like to someday bring my future children up on a vegan diet, but know that I will have alot of struggles happy Especially concerning fussy children. My niece basically only eats meat and pasta.. anything else makes her gag and shes only 4.   confused

If he is concerned about nutrition bring up the fact that the only thing you really need to watch with Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian Diet is Iron, Protein healthy fats and B12.

Iron is found in most vegetables and also alot of cereals ( 2 Weetbix is 50% of your RDI and 2teaspoons of Milo is also 50%!) Eat fruit also as VC helps absorb Iron.
Protein also in veggies and also pasta and rice and cereals.
healthy fats in avocado and nuts and seeds.
and B12 in eggs and milk. If you go Vegan however youll need a supplement (I use soymilk with B12)

Really, once your a vegetarian it isnt a big deal. Its like, not eating a food you dont like! I never liked Mushrooms, so I never ate them. I dont like meat, so I dont eat it. Simple! ecstatic

Hope this helps.. peace

Even though I have no experience in the matter of husbands, I have experience in convincing  my mum and sisters, even when my mum is screaming "YOUR GOING TO GROW WEAK AND SICK!!!"
laugh

useful websites:

http://www.foodsforlife.org.uk/nutrition/vegetarian-vegan-nutrition.html
http://www.goveg.com/
http://www.animalsaustralia.org/
http://www.veggieglobal.com/index.htm
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
5 24 Jul 2010
welcome happy  talk to sarah, she has a darling little girl called charlotte who is vegan wink
ReplyQuote

Ruth Ruth WA Posts: 7
6 25 Jul 2010
Thanks so much for your comments. I am fast discovering there is a lot to learn - such as making sure I plan a proper diet to get all the right nutrients, and complete proteins etc. That's especially important for my little girl.  But overall I'm pretty excited actually about giving up meat!! As for hubby, I'll slowly encourage him and explain why I'm doing what I'm doing. We've just bought the book 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer, and I'll try to get him to read that and it may make an impact too.
Thanks again
Sarah
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1217
7 25 Jul 2010
Good job Sarah.

I have a meat eating bf who refuses to give up meat, but he is quite happy to eat my veggo meals because they taste good. There are so many delicious meals and recipes out there without meat. I would suggest making a few of them, and then perhaps if he is missing the meat you can do as others said and perhaps only buy free range, or slightly higher quality meat and let him add a little to the meal.
Or. You and he can take an adventure in to vegetarian meats together. happy
My bf will not give up meat, but he enjoys food and he was more than happy to try all the vegetarian meals I brought home from the supermarket.
He is in love with Fry's 'chicken' nuggets. We had them last night in fact and he was like "are you sure these arn't made with chicken??" You can't tell the difference.
Coles now stocks Quorn, which is awesome vegetarian meats. More convincing than Fry's a bit from what I could tell, but that all comes down to taste. Fry's is vegan, Quorn is vegetarian. But probably a great option for adding some "meat" to the diet to keep husband happy. I used the quorn mince for nachos and in tortillas the other day... you can't tell the difference, it is amazing. happy There is also stuff like sanitarium nut meat, which I quite enjoyed. It acts like a mince too, instead of tasting like nothing, or like fake meat, it tastes nutty. So it really is up to the individual. I like some of Fry's foods, but I find some to be too heavy in flavour that it turns me off. Quorn hasn't had that problem so far, but I try to reduce that coz I'm aiming for vegan foods, but it is good. Then there are an even bigger range of just veggie burgers and stuff. I like the veggie foods that are made of vegetables, rather than veggie protien and made to look like the real thing. Fun journey to discover what you like though. And that kinda stuff keeps my omni bf happy. Then of course when we eat out or order take away, he will have his ordinary real meat, but just ignore that and focus on the difference you can make inside the home. happy

As for nutrition, I think a little bit of research and you'll be fine. You'll be healthier and better off too. Now that I gave up meat i've found i'm eating a much bigger variety of vegatables naturally and i'm trying all the good for you things like lentils, chick peas and adding more beans to meals than I ever would. I also think raising a kid on home made, healthy foods will make future feedings a lot easier. I've never had children but I assume that as soon as they start getting little bits of mcdonalds and eating "fun" foods then it becomes hard for them to eat the veggies and good stuff.

For recipes, google vegetarian recipes and so many will come up. If you struggle, try googling your fav meals and just adding 'vegetarian' in front of it and you will find so many ways to make every meal without meat. You can alternate between veggie filled versions and versions with vego 'meat' replacing the meat. Keep the routine spiced up! Another way to make the transition fun is try out some vegan cooking whyveg.com has some great chocolate mudcake and cupcake recipes and that's 100% cruelty free coz its vegan. happy It also has some good veggo meal suggestions though. We have a food forum section here too which has a lot of our members dinner ideas and recipe sharing you might want to check out. Most of my dinners are just out of my head or random googling. My fav is vegetarian lasagne. Mmm.

Good luck, just make the journey fun and hopefully he will just be excited by having some new meals and experimenting with new food! happy
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2544
8 25 Jul 2010
Hi Ruth, congrats for trying to make the switch. Veg*n is very rewarding not only to the little critters but also your health & environment happy

I'd recc buying some veg books like the "Idiots Guide to Veg*n" which covers lifestyle, dealing with omni's, nutrition, shopping tips and recipes. My fav cookbook is "Vegan Cooking - Recipes for Health & Happiness by Amanda Quinn". It has meals like curries, stews, vege bakes, lasange, salads, desserts etc.

My ex was omni and it was quite easy to cook for us both. I used to make the main dish ie pasta, rice, burritos, curry etc and he would add his meat. I never cooked meat so if he wanted it he'd have to cook that too. Hopefully though, your hubby will learn to love veg food which would make it easier!

And just experiment with tofu, tempeh, tvp, mock meats etc. There's so many veg meals at the supermarket like schnitzel, sausages, patties, nuggets etc which are fantastic for the transition to veg*n.

www.crueltyfreeshop.com.au
www.lamyong.com.au
www.frys-special.com
www.sanitarium.com.au
ReplyQuote

KittyVegan KittyVegan VIC Posts: 203
9 25 Jul 2010
Hello and welcome!
My boyfriend and I are both vegans, but I have friends and family who arnt.
If you arethe main cook in the house then that's a good start happy
with meat eaters, I try to cook foods that don't taste all that differnt without meat, like currys with roti or naan breads, tacos with beans and tvp mince (you can buy it from the supermarket) pumpkin soup, there's lots of yummy soups that are vego happy
and for desserts you will find you can make muffins and cakes that taste no differnt happy
there are heaps of good recipes, google them, or there are heaps of good cook books. But I find I just google somthing I wanna make and alter it so there is no meat or I ingredients I just replace with what I want to use happy
sounds like alot of work when you first switch but once you know the ins and outs it just comes as second nature ecstatic
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
10 25 Jul 2010
and if you don't feel like cooking maybe contact your local wholesale distributors. i get a veggie lasagne made by the company Sara Lee and it tastes so good! [but it's not vegan as it has cheese]. They probably stock things like veggie sausage rolls too happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 
Sign In or Register

What's on your mind? We want to know! Sign in with your Unleashed forum account or register to have your say!

E-Mail:
Password:
  Lost password?
Who
Most Liked Contributors
Today's Top Poster Aly Today's most liked:
Aly
July's Top Poster Aly July's most liked: Aly (6 likes)

Blog News