Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Tofu help?

1 - 4 of 4 posts

Asha13 Asha13 SA Posts: 22
1 11 Aug 2010
so i tried tofu once and hated it, not so much the taste but the texture it reminded me of fat,  but im thinking i didnt cook it right?

help??
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
2 11 Aug 2010
The first time I ate tofu was at a chinese restaurant & it was the silken type (soft & squishy). I hated it too.

But... there's so many different types of tofu out there & they all vary in consistency. I personally hate the soft types and prefer firm tofu. The great thing about tofu is that it doesn't have any flavour, it takes on whatever flavour you are cooking with! I usually throw it in stirfrys, curries or stews. Just experiment happy

My fav's are:
Soyco Thai
Soyco Satay Malaysian
Blue Lotus Sweet Chilli Cubes
Tly Tofu Firm
Nutrisoy Tempeh

All from Woolies/Coles etc
ReplyQuote

Asha13 Asha13 SA Posts: 22
3 11 Aug 2010
aha! Awesome thank you!!
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
4 11 Aug 2010
I prefer firm tofu to silken when I am cooking it myself, but I love how thai and chinese restaurants cooks the silken tofu, I'd love to know how.

There are so many ways to cook tofu:
Deep-fry
Steam
Boil
Shallow-fry
BBQ =)
I'm sure there's others...

Make sure to add plenty of flavours if you're still not into the plain tofu... some of my favourites:
Peanut satay sauce
Lemongrass paste - just slab it on one side of the tofu and shallow-fry it
Lemongrass, lemon and ginger seasoning - go and check out the herbs/spices and seasonings at your grocery store and just have a try and see what goes with tofu.
Try deep-frying in different oils - sesame, peanut, canola, etc - just be careful when you deep-fry.

I can handle eating tofu plain - as long as it's the firm tofu - again, only when I cook it though, lol! I can handle plain silken tofu from chinese and thai restaurants =)
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au