Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Food labelling...eeek!

1 - 10 of 28 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Kristy3 Kristy3 VIC Posts: 3
1 14 Aug 2010
Hi all,

I have been trying so hard to eat ethically, but its so hard. The supermarkets are so misleading, and recently I have heard a story of a business owner buying the "100% organic sticker". I think this is disgusting, I am trying so hard to do the right thing, and they should too! I am not 100% vegetarian, but will only buy "bred free range" animals products occasionally. Not an over-consumer at all. Does anyone else find going to the supermarket as frustrating as me??!!
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
2 14 Aug 2010
I'm with you, it can be frustrating, and I don't trust labels a whole lot. I stick to simple foods. Fresh fruit, veggies, grains, beans etc- can't go wrong that way. I do buy a few packaged/prepared products, but usually ones that I am sure are specifically vegan. Its a bit tricky to get your head around. If I want organic or something like that, I go to the growers market, and sometimes wholefoods or healthfood stores, which I trust more that the supermarket.
ReplyQuote

Randomzz Randomzz United States Posts: 144
3 14 Aug 2010
Well..my mum does all the shopping so i guess i have to trust her on what she gets. ashamed ashamed
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
4 14 Aug 2010
I find it easy as!
It's great that you are trying to make ethical decisions, and you may not want to hear this but let's be honest- is free range ethical? They are all subject to the same stresses of transportation and the same slaughter methods as factory farmed animals. Their lives still end with fear and pain.
So not even considering which companies actually let their animals roam free and which don't (you can't actually know unless you go there- there is no way anyone can trust labelling. Have you SEEN what the RSPCA endorse? Hideous!), consider the treatment they endure before they become your meal.

You know, mock meats are great so why don't you replace your occasional meat with an occasional mock-meat? I'm obsessed with these mock chicken fillet things I got from Global Green Vegetarian near the Victoria Markets. I've been making mini parmas with vegan cheese. Yum!  happy
ReplyQuote

Kristy3 Kristy3 VIC Posts: 3
5 14 Aug 2010
Hey! Thanks for your feedback, its really nice to hear activism instead of scepticism. I totally agree with your statement about, is free range ethical? I have heard of factory farming and that makes me ill, and thought if the animal had a good free life, then i could cope a little more. I agree with the stresses of transportation and the same slaughter methods as factory farmed animals.  I have steered clear from Steggles and Ingham chicken brands, and recently discovered how much of the market they own =(

So, what exactly are mock meats, Im keen to try!..
Every single day I think about the animals who suffer..and I really want to become a vegie full time!
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
6 14 Aug 2010
Haha, I get where you're coming from. My parents do all the shopping, though, so I get little say. But when I do have control over what is bought, I tend to read ingredients labels. I'm obsessed with reading ingredients labels anyway. Lol. I like to know what I'm consuming.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
7 15 Aug 2010
I'm completely obsessed with reading ingredients labels too, lol! Shopping takes twice as long, but I want to be sure.
It's difficult when you're at a friend's house and they assure you that you are having a vegetarian meal... but I know that there would be animal fats etc in the meals. Usually they get the frozen meals and they heat it up for me, it's easier I guess than them just cookng something vegetarian while the rest of the family eats meat =(
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
8 15 Aug 2010
Kristy3 said:
So, what exactly are mock meats, Im keen to try!..
Every single day I think about the animals who suffer..and I really want to become a vegie full time!
I havent tried the mock chicken yet, but Ive had Vegie Delights No Burger Patty (sanitarium) and they are GREAT! You grill them or pan fry them and put them on a burger ecstatic I made yesterday for my lunch whole grain bread (ran out of buns) with wholegrain mustard, vegan cheese, lettuce, bok choy leaves (tastes like gourmet lettuce), roma tomato and the patty. YUMMY!!!

The mock foods are in the frozen fridge secton, you can also get vegetarian/ vegan lassange which im keen to try as well as the Frys chicken stuff tongue
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
9 15 Aug 2010
YES!! Its so frustrating!!!!!!!! Its not fair that they dont label them correctly.. Seriously is it so hard to stick a vegan/vegetarian sign on it? Aldi do it!?

Shame there isnt a aldi close to me (or I havent found one yet) Because it takes me ages to read labels at Coles. Try looking in the health isle or asian isle, they sometimes have brands labeled as vegan. All my shampoo,conditioner, washing liquid, detergant and shower gell etc is a brand named Natures Organics and they are great! Cheap, organic and 100% vegan. (its been meationed on other forums).

A month ago I was craving a dessert and my boyfriend and I were in a IGA trying to find a oven one. So we found this YUMMY looking apply pie, but I read it had gelatine in it. COME ON.. does everything have to be cruel!?? Im struggling with finding good desserts to eat.

Im a big fan of icecream and sugary desserts, I love cakes but I prefer sweet things ecstatic I cant never find any that are cruelty free!!!!
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
10 15 Aug 2010
ZoolNerd said:
YES!! Its so frustrating!!!!!!!! Its not fair that they dont label them correctly.. Seriously is it so hard to stick a vegan/vegetarian sign on it? Aldi do it!?

Shame there isnt a aldi close to me (or I havent found one yet) Because it takes me ages to read labels at Coles. Try looking in the health isle or asian isle, they sometimes have brands labeled as vegan. All my shampoo,conditioner, washing liquid, detergant and shower gell etc is a brand named Natures Organics and they are great! Cheap, organic and 100% vegan. (its been meationed on other forums).

A month ago I was craving a dessert and my boyfriend and I were in a IGA trying to find a oven one. So we found this YUMMY looking apply pie, but I read it had gelatine in it. COME ON.. does everything have to be cruel!?? Im struggling with finding good desserts to eat.

Im a big fan of icecream and sugary desserts, I love cakes but I prefer sweet things ecstatic I cant never find any that are cruelty free!!!!
Hope this link works http://www.yellowmap.de/partners/AldiSued2/Html/Poi.aspx?SessionGuid=a767752d-b230-426b-84ba-8198349aa00e Just go to the Aldi website and do a search otherwise.
You must not be looking very hard because there's like 5 around your area, lol!
Penrith, St Marys, Emu Plains, Erskine Pk, Mt Druitt.
We've got 2 Aldis in the Hawkesbury if you wanna come down my way, lol!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au