Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

kangaroos

11 - 20 of 23 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

hayley la BAM ?! hayley la BAM ?! VIC Posts: 110
11 15 Aug 2010
8( i hate development areas, ESPECIALLY when they force animals to relocate/get hit by cars because they stay in their areas/etc, and when they disrupt natural things, as they pretty much always do, such as waterways.

but back to the main reason for the thread.
i kind of think kangaroo culls are okay in SOME areas, like out in the country where they eat farmer's crops/battle with their stock for food/etc which means less money to support their family and sometimes even sell things to keep up the cost (yes i know this from somewhat personal experience)
but then at the same time, i think they are bad, because humans are killing something that is perfectly natural and beautiful.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
12 15 Aug 2010
Well, I'm not in an area like that where there are kangaroos roaming everywhere. I know I'm pretty ignorant of such things as I've never personally experienced them, but I can never comprehend why farmers don't do more to stop them entering their properties. Culling just seems like the easy answer to me.
We build these properties by tearing down their homes, then complain when they start eating our crops?! It's horrible!
Surely farmers can get better fencing at the very least?
I would love to have kangaroos on my property, hopping about. They're such beautiful animals. I would rather that than see them dead on the road =(
ReplyQuote

hayley la BAM ?! hayley la BAM ?! VIC Posts: 110
13 15 Aug 2010
i hate seeing dead animals on the side of the road, and even more so when its a cat or a dog, because then i think that whoever owned it was a terrible owner etc.
hmm i agree, but better fencing would be something really tall, because they jump over the fences to get into the properties. but yeah. im a little confused because i was brought up to think that they were bad and just annoying and money costers etc and that killing them was the best way to do things. but i know it's not, but i just can't think of any other ways to keep them out. 8(
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
14 15 Aug 2010
The problem is that farmers probably could get better fencing, taller fencing, or even electrified fencing, but that's too expensive. Culling the kangaroos would be quicker, easier, and cheaper I suppose. I think the government should get involved to help out farmers, and I don't mean by destroying the kangaroos; giving them some sort of financial help.. I mean farmers are australia's greatest treasures. They are driving our economy.
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
15 15 Aug 2010
sarahbentvelzen said:
Scheyville National Park probably has kangaroos around, that's about a 5-10 min drive from here.
There's plenty of kangaroos in Cranebrook area, near Penrith... but it's really sad, they've been moved into a smaller area because of housing development =(
Cool! I live in Penrith! (technically kingswood) ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
16 15 Aug 2010
I don't really feel equipped to make a judgement because I have barely even seen a kangaroo in the wild, let alone been affected by increasing population numbers. I don't know, its a tough call. I am inclined to say that although I am moralistically/idealistically opposed to it, culls are probably (sadly) somewhat necessary in some areas. I can't help but feel though that it is somehow our fault for the situation gotten to this stage.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
17 15 Aug 2010
I've lived in semi-rural WA more or less all my life. I see kangaroos all the time. This is their native, and ONLY land. No. We shouldn't cull them. They belong here.
ReplyQuote

Hitler Hitler Iraq Posts: 465
18 15 Aug 2010
bad if there wasn't so many farms giving them so much to eat there wouldent be so many.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
19 15 Aug 2010
Valkyrie Uruz said:
I've lived in semi-rural WA more or less all my life. I see kangaroos all the time. This is their native, and ONLY land. No. We shouldn't cull them. They belong here.
Ditto. I love seeing the roo's when I walk my dogs.

They belong here more than us. They were on this land before the white man. We have built our farms and housing developments in their back yards... yet they are going to be made suffer because it?

Is that not totally wrong?
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
20 15 Aug 2010
RaV3N said:
Valkyrie Uruz said:
Ditto. I love seeing the roo's when I walk my dogs.

They belong here more than us. They were on this land before the white man. We have built our farms and housing developments in their back yards... yet they are going to be made suffer because it?

Is that not totally wrong?
Exactly. Hell, why is it even right that the more powerful species should kill off the less powerful just to get more room to live in or to gain more profit from the land?
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au