Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

supermarkets stepping up their game

1 - 9 of 9 posts

birdie birdie VIC Posts: 393
1 24 Aug 2010
recently a new shopping complex has opened up near my house with a brand new flashy coles supermarket. they are getting so clever now that they have created pretty barn like shelving to display and emphasise the meat and egg sections. the meat section is decorated with "moo" and has a button somewhere that you press to hear the sound of a cow "moo-ing" and parents seem to love this as do their kids. also in the egg section they have placed sculptures of chickens at the top of the barn shed accompanied by "cluck cluck" to make it aesthetically pleasing and they also have a button to listen to chickens "clucking" sound. family's with kids seem to be really impressed by it all. i just felt so cynical. the imaginary fairy tale farm sad
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
2 24 Aug 2010
birdie said:
recently a new shopping complex has opened up near my house with a brand new flashy coles supermarket. they are getting so clever now that they have created pretty barn like shelving to display and emphasise the meat and egg sections. the meat section is decorated with "moo" and has a button somewhere that you press to hear the sound of a cow "moo-ing" and parents seem to love this as do their kids. also in the egg section they have placed sculptures of chickens at the top of the barn shed accompanied by "cluck cluck" to make it aesthetically pleasing and they also have a button to listen to chickens "clucking" sound. family's with kids seem to be really impressed by it all. i just felt so cynical. the imaginary fairy tale farm sad
Let's just hope that those kids can rid themselves of their parents' influence on eating and maybe they can see the cruelty.
ReplyQuote

Javvs Javvs Canada Posts: 2
3 24 Aug 2010
I've see this in many supermarkets as well, and it saddens me every time. Kids love animals, they adore them, and are usually the most friendly to animals, and then their parents take them home and force them to eat them, one day those kids will be abl to make their own choices, and hopefully they make the right ones`
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
4 24 Aug 2010
Wow, that sounds pretty disturbing actually. The fact that they have gone to the trouble to do that says something to me though. The supermarkets have been copping a lot lately about free range and things, so maybe they are actually feeling it in sales...
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
5 24 Aug 2010
birdie said:
I work for Coles and what you're experiencing is a "new concept store" they make more money this way
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
6 24 Aug 2010
BreadmanInAus said:
birdie said:
I work for Coles and what you're experiencing is a "new concept store" they make more money this way
spider Oh the avarice of humanity.
ReplyQuote

Jackie Jackie NSW Posts: 229
7 24 Aug 2010
Kids are pretty good at compassion when they know the facts.
While i would rather they didn't dress up their death counters as fun places to visit, perhaps there is potential for it to go both ways - helping children make the connect between the animals they love & the carcass in their trolley?
Especially since we call chicken meat "chicken" - maybe seeing the chicken meat alongside a "live" chicken might work in the animals' favour?
ReplyQuote

Tanya M Tanya M VIC Posts: 741
8 24 Aug 2010
BreadmanInAus said:
birdie said:
Ugh, consumerism gone mad.
ReplyQuote

JaimieCS JaimieCS VIC Posts: 363
9 24 Aug 2010
BreadmanInAus said:
birdie said:
Ew.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au