Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Anyone else been forced to use animal products in school/work/uni?

1 - 10 of 55 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
1 16 Jul 2009
Sorry if I rant for a bit here x.x

So today, I had craft class. We're beginning a new topic - spinning wool to make yarn. As soon as I heard this, all of my friends turned to me and asked me if I was ok with it (they all fully support me being vegan). I politely told my teacher that using wool goes against my beliefs and I don't feel comfortable/I don't want to use it. With this, she got really defensive about it, telling me that I have to use wool and that I'm being a whinger/a stuck up snob. She then goes on to tell me to get over my fear of germs and that I'll be ok using the clean wool, not the dirty wool straight off the sheep. She completely missed the point (more chose to ignore it) and kept waving wool in my face the whole class. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I reasoned with her and the teachers aid, so I shall be spinning with cotton instead. And now I feel rather horrible because my marks are going to be affected and the teacher now hates me (though I feel great for standing up for my beliefs).

Anyone else dealt with intolerant people like this before? What happened/how did you deal with it?

Once again, I apologise for the big rant. I'm not feeling so great lately and I just want someone to talk to Dx
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
2 16 Jul 2009
Why will your makes be affected?
ReplyQuote

3 16 Jul 2009
Because apparently cotton is harder to work with and I won't be able to participate in half of the activities (because they involve animal products) and because my teacher actually told me that I've already lost marks. Which in my opinion is unfair.
ReplyQuote

4 16 Jul 2009
Davey said:
Because apparently cotton is harder to work with and I won't be able to participate in half of the activities (because they involve animal products) and because my teacher actually told me that I've already lost marks. Which in my opinion is unfair.
If I were you, I would write a letter to either the Head of Art, assistant principal or principal - which ever one is nicer/more likely to sympathize with you.

If you decide to, we can all help you and give you tips on what to include.

Don't let the teacher bully you.
ReplyQuote

- Kitty Freak - - Kitty Freak - SA Posts: 1071
5 16 Jul 2009
We'll ive had teachers give me a hard time. When i was in year 9 in cooking class everyone was cooking meat..so i sat outside or i was going to throw up. when everyone had stopped cooking and were just eating she told me to come inside and the smell was gone. i came in, reluctantly and to my dismay the smell was most defiantly not gone. it stunk of dead flesh. so i told her that i was going to sit outside for longer because it still smelt horrible. she then told me i wasnt allowed to and to just sit down and 'get over being vegetarian', of course, i left the room. Alot of the students were annoyed at her, even some of the meat eaters.

I told my mum that afternoon i told my mother and she went in to have a meeting with that teacher and some other about what had been said and my mum was like this schools mottos is 'tolerance, respect and understanding' you showed none of this to my daughter etc etc and yeah, haha i got out of having to goto class when meat was around =] i had a class with her this year, and now being vegan i thought it would be a laugh. but she said nothing to me haha. anyway, it got to difficult to do cooking cause i was around meat way too much. so i had to drop out of class or fail.
ReplyQuote

6 17 Jul 2009
Matt.Y said:
Davey said:
If I were you, I would write a letter to either the Head of Art, assistant principal or principal - which ever one is nicer/more likely to sympathize with you.

If you decide to, we can all help you and give you tips on what to include.

Don't let the teacher bully you.
Yea, I'm planning on talking to the principal-like figure in our school (we don't have a principal for some reason). But yea, thanks for the help =3 I don't particularly care about craft class though. I'm doing alright in all my other subjects and I prefer doing my own craft stuff at home.
ReplyQuote

7 17 Jul 2009
- Vegan Freak - said:
We'll ive had teachers give me a hard time. When i was in year 9 in cooking class everyone was cooking meat..so i sat outside or i was going to throw up. when everyone had stopped cooking and were just eating she told me to come inside and the smell was gone. i came in, reluctantly and to my dismay the smell was most defiantly not gone. it stunk of dead flesh. so i told her that i was going to sit outside for longer because it still smelt horrible. she then told me i wasnt allowed to and to just sit down and 'get over being vegetarian', of course, i left the room. Alot of the students were annoyed at her, even some of the meat eaters.

I told my mum that afternoon i told my mother and she went in to have a meeting with that teacher and some other about what had been said and my mum was like this schools mottos is 'tolerance, respect and understanding' you showed none of this to my daughter etc etc and yeah, haha i got out of having to goto class when meat was around =] i had a class with her this year, and now being vegan i thought it would be a laugh. but she said nothing to me haha. anyway, it got to difficult to do cooking cause i was around meat way too much. so i had to drop out of class or fail.
That's pretty horrible x.x I had a science teacher at my old school who pretty much told me the same thing when he was disecting a sheep's innards. And at that same school, I had a teacher who treated me like I had leprosy because I was vegan. She always used to glare at me and give me odd looks. And whenever I'd draw an animal (they're all I can draw xD) she'd say intolerant crap like "can vegans draw animals? Or is that cruelty to animals 'cause your imprisoning them in a piece of paper". She was awful x.x
ReplyQuote

- Kitty Freak - - Kitty Freak - SA Posts: 1071
8 17 Jul 2009
Davey said:
- Vegan Freak - said:

"can vegans draw animals? Or is that cruelty to animals 'cause your imprisoning them in a piece of paper". She was awful x.x
thats just stupid XD
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
9 17 Jul 2009
Davey said:
And whenever I'd draw an animal (they're all I can draw xD) she'd say intolerant crap like "can vegans draw animals? Or is that cruelty to animals 'cause your imprisoning them in a piece of paper". She was awful x.x
OMG are you serious? That's shit stirring at it's highest!

I can't say since being a veg*n I've had to face animal products... prob only leather products (diaries, chairs, etc) but I have ensured that I no longer use these sort of things. Working in an office environment it's pretty easy to avoid things happy
ReplyQuote

10 17 Jul 2009
Davey said:
And whenever I'd draw an animal (they're all I can draw xD) she'd say intolerant crap like "can vegans draw animals? Or is that cruelty to animals 'cause your imprisoning them in a piece of paper". She was awful x.x
wow. i think we can safely say that woman needs to get a life.

I hate people who teach for the reason that it is the only thing they can do. It makes such a big difference at school when your teacher actually likes kids and is actually interested in you. Sadly, I think I've only had 4 of these types of awesome teachers over the years (out of atleast 50).
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au