Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Anyone else been forced to use animal products in school/work/uni?

11 - 20 of 55 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  


Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
11 18 Jul 2009
- Vegan Freak - said:
Davey said:
- Vegan Freak - said:
We'll ive had teachers give me a hard time. When i was in year 9 in cooking class everyone was cooking meat..so i sat outside or i was going to throw up. when everyone had stopped cooking and were just eating she told me to come inside and the smell was gone. i came in, reluctantly and to my dismay the smell was most defiantly not gone. it stunk of dead flesh. so i told her that i was going to sit outside for longer because it still smelt horrible. she then told me i wasnt allowed to and to just sit down and 'get over being vegetarian', of course, i left the room. Alot of the students were annoyed at her, even some of the meat eaters.

I told my mum that afternoon i told my mother and she went in to have a meeting with that teacher and some other about what had been said and my mum was like this schools mottos is 'tolerance, respect and understanding' you showed none of this to my daughter etc etc and yeah, haha i got out of having to goto class when meat was around =] i had a class with her this year, and now being vegan i thought it would be a laugh. but she said nothing to me haha. anyway, it got to difficult to do cooking cause i was around meat way too much. so i had to drop out of class or fail.
"can vegans draw animals? Or is that cruelty to animals 'cause your imprisoning them in a piece of paper". She was awful x.x
thats just stupid XD

xD Yea, but that wasn't even the worst of what she said. But she came out with stupid crap like that T_T
ReplyQuote

Asha13 Asha13 SA Posts: 22
12 18 Jul 2009
dude that sucks, i had home ect this year and i got a zero because i refused to cook with meat, and i got heaps of attitude too, i had to get my parents to sign a note in my sschool book saying that yes i was a vegeterian and i wasnt lying, i was just so mad, but good for everyone who has stood up for there belifes (gosh my spelling is horrible), i think its important that people do, because animals cant stand up for themselfs
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
13 19 Jul 2009
ashie_leigh said:
dude that sucks, i had home ect this year and i got a zero because i refused to cook with meat, and i got heaps of attitude too, i had to get my parents to sign a note in my sschool book saying that yes i was a vegeterian and i wasnt lying, i was just so mad, but good for everyone who has stood up for there belifes (gosh my spelling is horrible), i think its important that people do, because animals cant stand up for themselfs
really wow
that is such a shame
im a vegan and doing food tech and i got an A happy
sucks u had that experience
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
14 19 Jul 2009
I've never had to work with animal products. I've allways voiced my concerns about the animals. whenever we discuss animal testing in psychology i allways voice how sickened i am that we still need to do that (and most of the time a half an hour class discussion begins, which i am somewhat the center of, and afterwards people discuss how they are not going to use stuff tested on animals). I was told that if I did biology that I would have to disect by my favourite teacher. I was later discussing with the biology teacher and she said that if I had taken it she wouldn't make me disect.

The worst thing that happened was the canteen sold me meat, and I tried to voice my opinion to the principal but felt so violated and upset that I just accepted what he said, which was that the school would properly check their foods next time.


My mate refused to cook meat in one of his home ec classes when they had a sub, and she told him that he had to cook meat if he didnt have a note from home, he argued with her till she let him cook without meat but she told him the enxt lesson he had to have a not. His mum signed a note that night for him and she left him alone happy
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
15 19 Jul 2009
I don't understand what the big fricken deal is in Home Ec if you're not cooking meat? Wouldn't it almost be SAFER for 2 reasons:
1) What if the meat was left out of the fridge for too long between home and school? Eww nasty.
2) What if the meat wasn't cooked thoroughly and the student ate it... possible food poisoning. Again ewww nasty.

I didn't cook meat in Home Ec... and it wasn't because I was a vegetarian back then... but we just didn't. We made things like pizza with ham and pepperoni but that was like the extent of it. We did cakes and desserts and such more often. But that was yr8 basics, dunno what it would be if I had chosen that as a subject later down the path.

Anyway - isn't Home Ec meant to teach you basics for life? If you don't eat meat at home, why do you need to learn how to cook it???

If they insist you use meat... take in a Fry's schnitzel and bake that up tongue
ReplyQuote

Frenzal bop Frenzal bop SA Posts: 778
16 20 Jul 2009
When i was doing my animal care coarse we had to do a prac section on lab animals. It was pretty horrible. On the first day we did  mice which required us to learn proper handling techniques which involves pinching the mouse on the back of the neck and picking him up. When done right it works though their were 20 students who rely didn't know what they were doing so the mice were getting picked up wrong and squeaking. I felt rely bad for them and went home at lunch time.

I was rely upset that night and was thinking of dropping out of my course just so i didn't have to go back the next day. I  ended up going back the next day  ashamed2 though at lunch time a group of the other students began to talk about animal testing and how they hated doing this part of the prac too, that was pretty good cos i didn't feel so alone.

After mice we did rats which was just as cruel. The teacher who took the rats class hated rats and was mean to them. She would pick them up by their tails and wrap them in a towel.

We also did rabbits and everyone in the class had to wrap the rabbit tightly in a towel so we could learn how to restrain them for injections. I failed towel wrapping of the rabbits cos i didn't want to wrap him that tight.

On my second prac we did birds. I felt sorry for the finches cos the way we learnt to restrain them can kill them (or brake them as she put it).

Though the strange thing is the dogs and cats were treated rely well which i thought was rely unfair for the poor lab animals/birds.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
17 20 Jul 2009
jack said:
ashie_leigh said:
dude that sucks, i had home ect this year and i got a zero because i refused to cook with meat, and i got heaps of attitude too, i had to get my parents to sign a note in my sschool book saying that yes i was a vegeterian and i wasnt lying, i was just so mad, but good for everyone who has stood up for there belifes (gosh my spelling is horrible), i think its important that people do, because animals cant stand up for themselfs
really wow
that is such a shame
im a vegan and doing food tech and i got an A happy
sucks u had that experience
You are lucky!

I think it has a lot to do with how open-minded the teacher is. Also, how the student approaches the teacher. If a student refuses and causes a scene in front of the whole class the teacher is most likely going to refuse. Remember the teacher has organised the class plan, so they are likely to take offence especially if you criticise/embarrass them in front of the whole class (put yourself in their place!).

It's best to tell them you are veg privately and reaffirm that you would love to finish this class but by making alternative dishes. If the teacher doesn't accept, then def go to the Head Master as it's discrimination.
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
19 20 Jul 2009
Azzmilan said:
Frenzal Bop said:
When i was doing my animal care coarse we had to do a prac section on lab animals. It was pretty horrible. On the first day we did  mice which required us to learn proper handling techniques which involves pinching the mouse on the back of the neck and picking him up. When done right it works though their were 20 students who rely didn't know what they were doing so the mice were getting picked up wrong and squeaking. I felt rely bad for them and went home at lunch time.

I was rely upset that night and was thinking of dropping out of my course just so i didn't have to go back the next day. I  ended up going back the next day  ashamed2 though at lunch time a group of the other students began to talk about animal testing and how they hated doing this part of the prac too, that was pretty good cos i didn't feel so alone.

After mice we did rats which was just as cruel. The teacher who took the rats class hated rats and was mean to them. She would pick them up by their tails and wrap them in a towel.

We also did rabbits and everyone in the class had to wrap the rabbit tightly in a towel so we could learn how to restrain them for injections. I failed towel wrapping of the rabbits cos i didn't want to wrap him that tight.

On my second prac we did birds. I felt sorry for the finches cos the way we learnt to restrain them can kill them (or brake them as she put it).

Though the strange thing is the dogs and cats were treated rely well which i thought was rely unfair for the poor lab animals/birds.
I feel so sorry for you man. But you got to do the work. I actually told my mate how they test cigertes (on dogs) and now he doesnt smokelol Not the cancer risk, but the animals!
ah ha ha! I tried that on my mother with no success. 'Mum, those poor puppies, you know that by smoking they're being tortured' and she doesn't care sad
ReplyQuote

 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au