Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Anyone else been forced to use animal products in school/work/uni?

31 - 40 of 55 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
31 28 Jul 2009
Unleashed Admin
Veganfiend said:
We had some retard using the veggie one yesterday. "But carrots have feelings too" omfgggg i used to cop that at work 24/7..
lol, that's one of my favourite dumb arguments. clap

This is a great opportunity to highlight the fact that it takes 10 times the resources (incl. 10 times the plants) to produce food for a meat eater than it does a vegetarian. So even if plants had feelings then the best way to reduce plant suffering would be to go vegan.

Of course without a central nervous system, there's virtually no chance a vegetable suffers pain in the same way as an animal. Pain is really only a useful thing to have if you can run/swim/fly away.
ReplyQuote

Kaisha Kaisha VIC Posts: 97
32 30 Jul 2009
Jesse said:
Veganfiend said:
We had some retard using the veggie one yesterday. "But carrots have feelings too" omfgggg i used to cop that at work 24/7..

This is a great opportunity to highlight the fact that it takes 10 times the resources (incl. 10 times the plants) to produce food for a meat eater than it does a vegetarian. So even if plants had feelings then the best way to reduce plant suffering would be to go vegan.

Of course without a central nervous system, there's virtually no chance a vegetable suffers pain in the same way as an animal. Pain is really only a useful thing to have if you can run/swim/fly away.
Very valid point. I guess there's not really much you could say back to that haha.
ReplyQuote

Brooke Brooke QLD Posts: 26
33 30 Jul 2009
Poor you. Your teacher sounds like an idiot. My teachers are pretty good at my school. My science teacher fully understands me not wanting to "slice and dice" animals. But I do have one idiot boy who likes to annoy the hell out of everyone else. And he torments me with "ooh Brooke I had a brain in my hand and I squished it and blood came out." But I just turn around cuz he is not worth it.
furious
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
34 30 Jul 2009
I remembered today... I have a customer at work... WA Greyhounds. Ok so it's the print department but still makes me sad when they call cos it reminds me of the horrid conditions those beautiful dogs are raised in.

I know it's not the same... and it's not a thing I can say "sorry I don't support the industry you're in I can't talk to you" because a lot of people think my industry is against the environment (it's not.. just greenies think so)
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
37 7 Sep 2009
My class just did a whole heap of dissections this term (we were studying body systems), and I sat out for all of them. I don't think I missed out on any education by sitting out the dissections, because the textbook has really detailed diagrams, and they're labelled, unlike the animal organs the others were cutting up. I want to be a doctor, too, so I figure I don't need to do dissections when I'll just be doing it again in uni, but with cadavers (people who donate their bodies to science), which will be more useful than animal parts and is cruelty-free.
ReplyQuote

Mel Mel NSW Posts: 289
38 7 Sep 2009
Kaisha said:
Jesse said:
Veganfiend said:

Very valid point. I guess there's not really much you could say back to that haha.
I like to tell them a joke when someone says this.

Two carrots were in the desert.
What did one carrot say to the other carrot?

Nothing, carrots can't talk.

It's funny because we have a friend who has been told has the personality of a carrot lol.
ReplyQuote

- Kitty Freak - - Kitty Freak - SA Posts: 1071
39 7 Sep 2009
Biophiliac said:
My first Biology practical of year 12 involved using small sections of Cow heart, at first i told the teacher i didn't want to do it, but it was a summative practical... I could do the practical, or forfeit 7% of my overall grade... So reluctantly i did it.

I don't know if it being in the name of science should make one feel better about it... *shrug*
well shit i didnt know you did that... >.<

I think its extremely unfair. They should compensate for people ethics. I mean, what if it was for religious purposes? then it would be more of an issue..People shouldnt have to lose grades because theyre compassionate -.-
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au