Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Anyone else been forced to use animal products in school/work/uni?

41 - 50 of 55 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  

Pomi Pomi VIC Posts: 311
41 9 Sep 2009
Yup, our uniform basicly revolves around wool and leather. I am on "strike" though. What are they gonna do? Put the rotting skin of a cow on my feet through physical strength?

Hmm and the whole disection thing. Again, are they going to hold me there and make me cut up an animal?
ReplyQuote

LadyLuckDoubt LadyLuckDoubt VIC Posts: 2
43 9 Sep 2009
pam1 said:
I always argued that, too, about the religious thing. (Even though I'm not religious.)

I've actually been tempted to say to people, "Can't do that, goes against my religion" when expected to do something I find ethically abhorrent, and then when confronted about my religion, say, 'Why do you need to know what religion I am? So you can discriminate against me?"

I don't see why religion is meant to be more important than personal ethics: I see so many people talking about religion like it IS someone's personal ethics/that it makes someone a better person. It's hypocritical, unfair, and stupid.
Um, that wasn't Pam1, that was me-- somehow I was logged in as Pam1 and I just thought I'd set things straight and apologise!
ReplyQuote

LadyLuckDoubt LadyLuckDoubt VIC Posts: 2
44 9 Sep 2009
april-san said:
I want to be a doctor, too, so I figure I don't need to do dissections when I'll just be doing it again in uni, but with cadavers (people who donate their bodies to science), which will be more useful than animal parts and is cruelty-free.
I think med students are expected to dissect animals, too, unfortunately. sad

But yes-- there's the human thing... IMHO, that'd be more relevent and interesting any way. (Assuming I'm able to, I want my body donated to science when I die for that reason: I get to be educational!)
ReplyQuote

Etranger Etranger ACT Posts: 53
45 10 Sep 2009
You could always parlay this into something useful (if it hasn't already been mentioned, it's a long thread). Every time there is an instance that could be construed as the exploitation of animals, politely request that equal time be given to the other side of the argument, like a classroom showing of "Earthlings", you never know if you keep asking they just might do it.
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
46 28 Sep 2011
Instead of making a new thread I thought I'd bump this one!

I'm going to (hopefully) be changing career soon... But unfortunately, the uniform I'll need to wear at my new job will consist of a leather belt and leather shoes. There's no way to get around not wearing them or wearing substitutes as it has to be exactly the same as everyone else.

How do you guys deal with having to wear leather? sad
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
47 28 Sep 2011
Chewie said:

I'm going to (hopefully) be changing career soon... But unfortunately, the uniform I'll need to wear at my new job will consist of a leather belt and leather shoes. There's no way to get around not wearing them or wearing substitutes as it has to be exactly the same as everyone else.

Oh yuck. Leather makes me feel ill.
I'm sorry for your situation. Unfortunately we can't be animal friendly all of the time.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
48 28 Sep 2011
Chewie said:

Yeah my boyfriend (vegan) has to wear leather shoes when he goes to mining sites at work. He had no say in the matter either as they have to wear a certain type of shoe. At least the work bought them for him so he didn't have to pay any money towards them.

All I can say is take very good care of the shoes and belt, that way they will last for a long time and you won't have to buy replacements happy
But really don't worry about it, your not contributing anymore to animal cruelty. If you didn't get the job then someone else would have got it anyway.
ReplyQuote

Vinnie89 Vinnie89 NSW Posts: 37
49 28 Sep 2011
Been fixing one of the clients vegie gardens for work, prepping the beds for the new season, had to dump a whole lot of 'blood and bone' fertilizer, nasty stuff by-product of slaughter houses, basically just ground up bone and blood.
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
50 29 Sep 2011
Abbiesaurus said:
Chewie said:

Yeah my boyfriend (vegan) has to wear leather shoes when he goes to mining sites at work. He had no say in the matter either as they have to wear a certain type of shoe. At least the work bought them for him so he didn't have to pay any money towards them.

All I can say is take very good care of the shoes and belt, that way they will last for a long time and you won't have to buy replacements happy
But really don't worry about it, your not contributing anymore to animal cruelty. If you didn't get the job then someone else would have got it anyway.
I know I won't necessarily be contributing to animal cruelty as such, but just the thought of wearing dead animal makes me feel ill. I'll have to man up and deal with it if I want the job though (and I've wanted this job for years!). Nothing is official yet though. Thanks for the reassurance happy
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au