Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Buddhism

1 - 10 of 26 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
1 30 Aug 2010
Who is one? What's it like? Do you recommend it? I'm seriously considering this religion I need to know anything and everything! pros, cons, you name it! peace xx
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
2 30 Aug 2010
4_da_animals1 said:
Who is one? What's it like? Do you recommend it? I'm seriously considering this religion I need to know anything and everything! pros, cons, you name it! peace xx
Buddhism is a philosophy of life as well as a religion.
I can summarize it for you although it might not be that great: suffering is everything; everything is suffering. Buddhism is acknowledging that and moving beyond it."

Pretty much sums it up I think.

Also, wikipedia will help quite a lot.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
3 30 Aug 2010
BreadmanInAus said:
4_da_animals1 said:
Buddhism is a philosophy of life as well as a religion.
I can summarize it for you although it might not be that great: suffering is everything; everything is suffering. Buddhism is acknowledging that and moving beyond it."

Pretty much sums it up I think.

Also, wikipedia will help quite a lot.
Already wikipedia'd it. wink
ReplyQuote

EMAC EMAC VIC Posts: 69
4 30 Aug 2010
Buddhism teaches you to follow the 'middle ground'. So living a life without extremes. It teaches you about compassion and acknowledging that every human will endure suffering at some point in their life.
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
5 31 Aug 2010
I don't know a lot about the 'religion' aspect of it, but I think its a great style of life to live. I would love to be able to consider myself a follower of Buddhist Philosophy/way of life, I think it has a lot to offer.
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
6 31 Aug 2010
Yeah, i'm interested in it too happy
ReplyQuote

JaimieCS JaimieCS VIC Posts: 363
7 31 Aug 2010
I think many of the ideals in Buddhism are an excellent guide to a positive lifestyle, but don't feel it's necessary to stick within the bounds of any religion. Take what you like from all of them and do what feels right for you.
ReplyQuote

Jen Jen VIC Posts: 619
8 31 Aug 2010
4_da_animals1 said:
My cousin learnt about it and was teaching me about it... basically as the others have said 'Life is suffering' , we are born into suffering because we experience 'discomfort' when we first exit the womb (thus we cry) and everything is life leads to suffering or pain (I know it sounds a bit pessimistic, but it is kind of true). So they believe that those who are selfish etc, will be stuck in a cycle (I forgot what it's called), where they will live in suffering (life), die and be reborn into suffering -> thus never leaving the earth /life/ suffering. Those who are selfless and and don't inflict any suffering on other through their lives will eventually reach the end stage (I forgot what it's called again haha ecstatic ) & when they die, they will disappear, never to return to suffering again.
- that's what I gathered from it, sorry I forgot the terms... & also karma plays a huge role to, but it's more than what we consider Karma.

I wanted to be Buddhist to  happy - still considering it.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
9 31 Aug 2010
Jen said:
4_da_animals1 said:
I wanted to be Buddhist to  happy - still considering it.
Yeah, I have to say, if I was going to follow any religion, it would be Buddhism.

But basically, while not religious (if anything I'm agnostic), I consider myself a spiritual person and I have certain beliefs. Like I believe in the power of my crystals, in auras and pranic healing (I have a friend who is a pranic healer) in ghosts because I've seen them, etc.
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
10 31 Aug 2010
JaimieCS said:
I think many of the ideals in Buddhism are an excellent guide to a positive lifestyle, but don't feel it's necessary to stick within the bounds of any religion. Take what you like from all of them and do what feels right for you.
I really agree with Jaimies statement. Buddhism although is alot better than most religions has alot of boundaries as well. Look into the different sects such as Mahayana and Theravada. Theravada is alot more stricter but Mahayana has alot of different branches, many also that have  different guidelines. The over all message of buddhism is great and I would personally say I am a follower of Buddhism philosophy.  I prefer it over Christianity as I see it as a walking hypocrisy. Buddhism to me is honest in what it believes and doesn't try to pull wool over your eyes, its main point being life is suffering, accept it and you will find peace.

Reaching enlightenment is different in both sects so look into that too

innocent
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au