Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Buddhism

11 - 20 of 26 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
11 31 Aug 2010
Also.. In buddhism, although is it great the Lay buddhists ( non monks) pretty much are considered never to reach enlightenment (nirvana), but they be reborn into a human that will live in a monastery and because a Buddhist monk that has more chance of reaching enlightenment. Also in Mahayana sect they encourage you to be a bodhisattva that sacrifices nirvana to enlighten others. In both temples you basically give up every possession, including your hair and clothes, only to wear a robe. You also do not feed yourself, but the Lay buddhists community donate food to you. Its very nice to think of.

(I tend to go through stages where I get fixated on things and obsessively look them up and seek out people to find out things, beginning of this year was Buddhism, last year was Japanese, I did this to find out where I fit in the world. Now im studying Zoology and I think I found my calling! )

I like to think that this life I have looked into buddhism and try to practice its path and maybe in another life I will be enlightened. But who knows.  orcawhale
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
12 31 Aug 2010
That's really interesting Zool, I didn't know that! Thx for posting happy
ReplyQuote

13 31 Aug 2010
Its cool happy Like I said, I went through an obbessive stage (this is what happens when you have no job or studying and just lay around the house all day)

So I went to festivals and spoke to buddhist monks and Also watched Videos. A great youtube site is: http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube

it has fantastic videos! Look up the ones by the Ajahn Brahn "white" monk. He is fantastic and also very funny.

Also check out: http://www.ajahnbrahm.org/
ReplyQuote

Randomzz Randomzz United States Posts: 144
14 31 Aug 2010
Buddhists believe that is wrong to hurt or kill animals, because all beings are afraid of injury and death.
"All living things fear being beaten with clubs.
All living things fear being put to death.
Putting oneself in the place of the other,
Let no one kill nor cause another to kill".
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
15 31 Aug 2010
Do you have to shave your head and/or wear a robe to be a buudhist?
ReplyQuote

Truc Truc VIC Posts: 85
16 31 Aug 2010
4_da_animals1 said:
nope only monks.
ReplyQuote

17 31 Aug 2010
Truc said:
4_da_animals1 said:
nope only monks.
oh phew!
ReplyQuote

18 1 Sep 2010
4_da_animals1 said:
Truc said:
4_da_animals1 said:
nope only monks.
oh phew!
But you cannot reach enlightenment unless your a monk. Unless you follow all the precepts and eightfold path you cannot reach enlightenment.

You can practice all you like though, go to temples, meditate etc all you like!  happy
ReplyQuote

19 2 Sep 2010
ZoolNerd said:
4_da_animals1 said:
Truc said:
4_da_animals1 said:
nope only monks.
oh phew!
But you cannot reach enlightenment unless your a monk. Unless you follow all the precepts and eightfold path you cannot reach enlightenment.

You can practice all you like though, go to temples, meditate etc all you like!  happy
If I don';t become a monk but practise meditation, go to temples, etc etc am I still classed as a buddhist?
ReplyQuote

20 2 Sep 2010
Technically you need to be "baptised" that is, go to a monastery and give the triple gems:

I go for refuge in the Buddha. (buddha)

I go for refuge in the Dharma. (buddhas teachings and quotes etc)

I go for refuge in the Sangha (community, others like you)

It just means you want to follow Buddhas path as declared by a monk. More ceremonial. Easier than Christianity though!!! ecstatic

Look for a  monastery around. If your in NSW theres heaps in Sydney and one MASSIVE one in Wollongong.. IF not google search it.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au