Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Third world countries and meat

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
1 20 Jul 2009
It's a very grey area in the movement, but what is everyones opinion of people eating meat in third world countries when there is no other food available? Very broad, grey topic, but I'd be interested to know how others feel about it.
ReplyQuote

x.Tara x.Tara NSW Posts: 357
2 20 Jul 2009
Hmmm, correct me if I'm going too far with this...but an animal and a human are both equally worthy of life? I guess it can't be helped, in 3rd world countries...the lack of education, lack of food. It's a shame though, it's an excuse for slim minded meat eaters to go "well the people in poor countries live off meat! so imagine if it wasn't there!"
ReplyQuote

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
3 20 Jul 2009
Really interesting topic Jamison.

I think no matter what part of the world we are talking about we should be encouraging compassion towards animals.

We must remember that the third world state is largely a result of the west's exploitation of those people and countries and the resources of htose countries.

I think it is important that we encourage plant production as it is more efficient and requires less land.. especially consdering a lot of the third world countries are home to some of the world's most delicate and diversse eco systems which could turn into perfect grazing land if we are not careful (check mcdonalds + the amazon).

If it is a matter of survival then I can't expect people not to eat meat. But again, things must be examined on a case by case basis.

On another note, there's so much money in the world there should really be no third world at all and therefore no question as to whether or not people in certain countries should eat meat.
ReplyQuote

Frenzal bop Frenzal bop SA Posts: 778
4 20 Jul 2009
Wouldn't it be easier for them to eat plants considering to fatten up a animal you would have to feed it plant's. One cow would eat alot of plants enough to feed  a whole village. I have always had the believe that they mainly eat lentals.
ReplyQuote

5 20 Jul 2009
Frenzal Bop said:
Wouldn't it be easier for them to eat plants considering to fatten up a animal you would have to feed it plant's. One cow would eat alot of plants enough to feed  a whole village. I have always had the believe that they mainly eat lentals.
Yes. Grains have always been the food of the poor. Meat was a "luxury item"
ReplyQuote

x.Tara x.Tara NSW Posts: 357
6 20 Jul 2009
Frenzal Bop said:
Yeah, and this prob sounds really naive but I thought those countries were all about grainy stuff..and stuff. What do the women carry in those baskets on their heads??
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
7 20 Jul 2009
When I lived in South Africa, the staple food of the people in the townships (the shanty towns homing those living in poverty) was mealie pap. Basically, just corn mashed up and boiled in water with some salt if it was available. Meat was extremely, extremely rare.

But apart from what the poor eat, what I think is disgusting is the fact that 3rd world countries, particularly the Latin American states, export grain to the United States and elsewhere to feed the livestock industry. The starving people of those states are being overlooked by both governments, Latin American and Northern American, for an unhealthy, unsustainable diet which requires the starving to starve - destroying both human and non-human life.
ReplyQuote

8 20 Jul 2009
Well put Matt.

Animal Agriculture really is vying for the title ot the most corrupt invention of mankind.
ReplyQuote

Nathanael Nathanael VIC Posts: 211
9 21 Jul 2009
It is true that in some places, the land is almost entirely unsuitable for growing crops and basically the only option apart from leaving (which isn't viable for most) is to get some goats. For a lot of people poverty means they can't choose their diet.

That said, the animal welfare policy of a lot of the bigger aid organizations can be pretty bad. I know for a fact the guy who was in charge of it for World Vision is a huge fan of Michael Pollan. Man i hate that guy.
ReplyQuote

Nathanael Nathanael VIC Posts: 211
10 21 Jul 2009
Oh but the kind of poverty that leaves people with no choice over their diet isn't the kind of poverty that "just happens". It's a result of "economic" decisions, corruption, lack of welfare and global indifference. Essentially it's something we can solve.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au