Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What Does Tofu Taste Like To You?

1 - 10 of 31 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Shirley Shirley NSW Posts: 108
1 21 Jul 2009
i get asked this question by everyone who hasnt tasted tofu before when they ask what do i eat. apparently it taste like chicken or to others it tastes like scrambled eggs.
But what does tofu taste like to you?  spider
ReplyQuote

Vegetation Vegetation NSW Posts: 349
2 21 Jul 2009
I love tofu (sadly it does not love me and I can't eat it). I honestly don't think it has a taste. It has a hint of a taste but I don't think it tastes like chicken or eggs. If anyone asked me I'd just tell them it tastes like tofu and it's delicious and they should try it. Not very helpful am I? funny
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
3 21 Jul 2009
Unleashed Admin
It's like the chameleon of the food world, isn't it? It tastes like whatever it's put with! wink

But by itself, to me, different types of tofu have different types of flavours (like soy milk tends to). I can't say it tastes LIKE anything ... it seems to have its own distinct mild, fresh, nutty flavour. Only after eating it for about 5 years did I actually start to appreciate the taste of tofu by itself, and I now enjoy tofu 'raw' and in salads and such without frying it or smothering it in sauce. It's probably a lot healthier for you this way!

One dish I learned to love is Asian Tofu Salad. happy
http://whyveg.com/recipes/make_this.php?recipe=32

I'm sure this will help anyone develop an appreciation for tofu in its own right -- I think it's delicious! happy
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
4 21 Jul 2009
i find it takes on the taste of whatever i cook it in which is handy because i find the taste of it on its own quite bland
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
5 21 Jul 2009
I usually press it for a couple of hours and it gives it a "meatier" texture. I like it baked with spices..yumm happy
ReplyQuote

Memma-moo Memma-moo QLD Posts: 98
6 21 Jul 2009
You can't really compare tofu to anything else - when made into tofu scramble (soft tofu) it has the same texture as scrambled eggs, but adding in salt and tumeric it has it's own tasty taste! Next time they ask, just smile and reply: It tastes great! Why dont you give it a try?.  wink
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
7 21 Jul 2009
This is gonna sound realy bad but I can't stand the taste of tofu unless its smothered in sauce and such. It has a realy odd taste to it that I just can't..... find appealing.... it's very odd, but I do know that diferent tofus have diferent flavours, and I did eat fried organic firm tofu which was briliant (and downing in tomato sauce). Mostly if i'm eating tofu I'll slice it into very thin slices so I can't taste it and then marinate it.

Perhaps I need some good tofu recipes? happy
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
8 21 Jul 2009
Jamison said:
This is gonna sound realy bad but I can't stand the taste of tofu unless its smothered in sauce and such. It has a realy odd taste to it that I just can't..... find appealing.... it's very odd, but I do know that diferent tofus have diferent flavours, and I did eat fried organic firm tofu which was briliant (and downing in tomato sauce). Mostly if i'm eating tofu I'll slice it into very thin slices so I can't taste it and then marinate it.

Perhaps I need some good tofu recipes? happy
i completly agree
mainly cuz i have no idea how 2 cook it
yes i have a peta powered  by tofu badge
but i dont actually like it
am i a strange vegan lol
help me
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
9 21 Jul 2009
Unleashed Admin
jack said:
am i a strange vegan lol
help me
Not that strange! wink

Perhaps if we were all brought up in Japan, rather than Australia, we'd have more of a clue. Most people here don't have a clue how to cook or prepare tofu... many are even 'scared' of it.
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
10 21 Jul 2009
Karen said:
jack said:
am i a strange vegan lol
help me
Not that strange! wink

Perhaps if we were all brought up in Japan, rather than Australia, we'd have more of a clue. Most people here don't have a clue how to cook or prepare tofu... many are even 'scared' of it.
karen do u know lol
help me hahah
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au