Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What Does Tofu Taste Like To You?

11 - 20 of 31 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  


x.Tara x.Tara NSW Posts: 357
11 21 Jul 2009
I haven't tried tofu, though I would like to. It was accidently made by a prince in ancient china who was trying to discover a substance that could make him immortal or something, apparently. huh
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
12 21 Jul 2009
Memma-moo said:
You can't really compare tofu to anything else - when made into tofu scramble (soft tofu) it has the same texture as scrambled eggs, but adding in salt and tumeric it has it's own tasty taste! Next time they ask, just smile and reply: It tastes great! Why dont you give it a try?.  wink
You have to make me your scrambled tofu in Nov! Add it to the list! LOL

It depends what kind of tofu I'm having. The flavoured stuff just takes like the flavour to me. The silken tofu is a lil bland by itself and really quite boring, but put it in a stir-fry or deep-fry it and instant yummo!
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
13 21 Jul 2009
Karen said:
Perhaps if we were all brought up in Japan, rather than Australia, we'd have more of a clue. Most people here don't have a clue how to cook or prepare tofu... many are even 'scared' of it.
In Japan once, I had plain tofu in a broth of some kind...for dinner every day...and a fair bit of it, cos I'd swap the meat from the set meals with the other people in my group. It was okay at first, but slimy soft tofu tends to fall apart when you try to pick it up with chopsticks, and when you have it so often and so much of it served in the same way it starts to make you feel sick. Variety is definitely the spice of life.

But then again, inari (tofu pockets filled with rice and other stuff) is Japanese and my favourite take-away food.

The best tofu I've ever had was in Bali, but it wasn't like regular tofu. It had the whole soybeans in it, and the texture was unlike any tofu I'd ever had before.

When I have plain tofu, the taste is nice, but it's the texture that gets me - I don't like slimy, squishy things.
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
14 21 Jul 2009
Unleashed Admin
april-san said:
The best tofu I've ever had was in Bali, but it wasn't like regular tofu. It had the whole soybeans in it, and the texture was unlike any tofu I'd ever had before.
Is that like tempeh?
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
15 21 Jul 2009
Tofu is quite a complicated thing. It is made in the same process of cheese (which i actually dont know how that is) and is designed to absorb the flavours surrounding it.
which means...  theres copious amounts of 'tastes' :] I know that silken tofu can be used to cook desserts such as chocolate mousse, and firm tofu is awesome marinated.

But if I tried to describe "what does it taste like for me"? well hmmm.
If I had a small cube of absolutely plain, white, dry, firm, unsalted, organic tofu, I guess the taste would be described as really really compacted plain egg whites with no salt or seasoning whatsoever, with a mild nutty flavour.
But its an individual food, so you cant really compare it.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
16 22 Jul 2009
Unleashed Admin
Tofu is all about the flavours you put with it ... and how you prepare it.

One of my favourite desserts is soft silken tofu with tinned lychees poured over the top. It's delicious! You can do the same with any fruit and syrup really.
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
17 22 Jul 2009
Karen said:
april-san said:
The best tofu I've ever had was in Bali, but it wasn't like regular tofu. It had the whole soybeans in it, and the texture was unlike any tofu I'd ever had before.
Is that like tempeh?
Hmm, probably is. I've never had tempeh, and now you've mentioned it it looked a lot like tempeh... Oooh goody I'm going to the shops soon, I could get some and find out! Thanks  broccoli
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
18 22 Jul 2009
april-san said:
It was okay at first, but slimy soft tofu tends to fall apart when you try to pick it up with chopsticks, and when you have it so often and so much of it served in the same way it starts to make you feel sick.
What is that tofu called? I had some as a kid, I didn't like either but never knew what it called so I could avoid it! LOL!
ReplyQuote

.ellehcoR .ellehcoR VIC Posts: 663
19 22 Jul 2009
ckimana said:
april-san said:
It was okay at first, but slimy soft tofu tends to fall apart when you try to pick it up with chopsticks, and when you have it so often and so much of it served in the same way it starts to make you feel sick.
What is that tofu called? I had some as a kid, I didn't like either but never knew what it called so I could avoid it! LOL!
silken?
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
20 22 Jul 2009
.ellehcoR said:
ckimana said:
april-san said:
It was okay at first, but slimy soft tofu tends to fall apart when you try to pick it up with chopsticks, and when you have it so often and so much of it served in the same way it starts to make you feel sick.
What is that tofu called? I had some as a kid, I didn't like either but never knew what it called so I could avoid it! LOL!
silken?
Oh could be! I just assumed that was for desserts...
ReplyQuote

 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au