Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Two quick and easy recipes for when you're camping

1 - 6 of 6 posts

TKC TKC SA Posts: 19
1 22 Sep 2010
Hi All -

Thought I might share with you a couple of über basic recipes I posted on my blog today that I use when I am on extended hiking trips. In October I will be setting off on a 3000km hike across NZ so these two recipes are sure to get a bit of a thrashing - surely after 5-6 months I will never want to eat a lentil again!

Lentil bolognese

- Dried lentils soaked to shorten cooking time (I soak them in a wide-mouth nalgene bottle during the day as I tramp)
- Tomato pasta and mixed herbs
- Olive oil
- Pasta of choice (usually angel hair as it cooks in a nanosecond or macaroni for durability in the backpack)
- (Optional: dehydrated veggies)

Spicy dal and rice

- Dried lentils as above
- Fresh ginger and garlic (you could use dried stuff, I suppose… but the fresh stuff is light and packs well)
- Garem masala, chili powder and turmeric
- Olive oil
- Tomato paste
- Rice (the instant stuff makes it easier and doesn’t require cooking, just heating; though I carry raw)

These dishes are relatively quick and easy to cook, don’t use much fuel and give your body plenty of fuel and protein. Oh, and most importantly, they are delicious. So delicious in fact that I regularly cook them at home.

The original post can be found here: http://teararoaonveg.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/two-quick-easy-vegan-recipes-to-cook-on-your-trangia/

Cheers,

Paul
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
2 22 Sep 2010
Thanks! I haven't got into lentils... but I should =)
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
3 22 Sep 2010
I'm not much for camping but those recipes sound good, and I do love lentils wink

sarahbentvelzen said:
Yes you should!! They are the best!
ReplyQuote

TKC TKC SA Posts: 19
4 22 Sep 2010
They are the best! ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Cailyn Cailyn QLD Posts: 167
5 22 Sep 2010
hmmmm lentils are yumm happy
ReplyQuote

TofuUnleashed TofuUnleashed TAS Posts: 986
6 22 Sep 2010
sarahbentvelzen said:
Ooooh you are missing out big time! laugh Go lentils!!!
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au