Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

bbbbaaaaaaa baaaad wool

1 - 10 of 32 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

claudie claudie TAS Posts: 63
1 30 Jul 2009
i am proud to say that, after much contemplation and research, i am setting myself a goal to be completely wool free!! I just got my AACT (against animal cruelty tasmania, awsome people) newsletter and the front cover topic is (eewww) muelsing. SHock HorRor!!! so, i will not buy wool, leather (yuk) and fur (yuk yuk). Any tips on whats nice and warm to wear this winter????
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
2 30 Jul 2009
Most of the "woolly" stuff you see in clothes shops are actually acrylic, which is great! I check labels of stuff all the time, whether I'm actually interesting in buying it or not, just to see, and I rarely find real wool! Acrylic seriously feels just like wool and everything, but it doesn't smell when it gets wet (and it's cruelty-free  clap)
So unless you shop at the more expensive sort of shops, it's really easy to be wool-free
ReplyQuote

claudie claudie TAS Posts: 63
3 30 Jul 2009
really?? call me someone who doesn't pay attention (whatever the name for that is) but i'd always think if it looks like wool, it prob is. what about alpaca wool?? and where do you find hemp?? im full of questions......
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
4 30 Jul 2009
Yeh, just check the label.. it will say "100% cotton" or "100% polyester" or something. You'll be pleasantly surprised at what the item is REALLY made of most of the time.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
5 30 Jul 2009
Well done Claudie! I did the same and ended up giving all my wool jumpers to the Salvos. I just didn't want to wear them. Also, keep silk and suede in mind! There are so many man made materials out there, that you'll have no prob finding something wool free happy
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
6 30 Jul 2009
april-san said:
Most of the "woolly" stuff you see in clothes shops are actually acrylic, which is great! I check labels of stuff all the time, whether I'm actually interesting in buying it or not, just to see, and I rarely find real wool! Acrylic seriously feels just like wool and everything, but it doesn't smell when it gets wet (and it's cruelty-free  clap)
So unless you shop at the more expensive sort of shops, it's really easy to be wool-free
I have a nice long sleeve knitted top which is all fake! Looks the part... but isnt! w00t! If I rememeber correctly I purchased it from Valley Girl.
ReplyQuote

ashleigh ashleigh QLD Posts: 57
7 30 Jul 2009
Where does suade come from? I know that silk is no good, but suade, i have no idea where it is from?
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
8 30 Jul 2009
ashleigh said:
Where does suade come from? I know that silk is no good, but suade, i have no idea where it is from?
It's basically leather. I think it's treated in a different way to the regular leather (treated as in it is modified slightly). I could be mistaken though..
ReplyQuote

9 30 Jul 2009
ashleigh said:
Suede is leather... just worked differently.
ReplyQuote

10 30 Jul 2009
Gah Matt.Y you got in before me tongue
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au