Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Lives saved by us!

1 - 10 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

Tofu Ninja Tofu Ninja NSW Posts: 165
1 28 Sep 2010
Just checking out the counter in the top right corner...

Unleashed members have saved around 222,000 animals this year!
Think of that, it is not some random American statistic - it is one WE helped make!

Made me smile
ninja
ReplyQuote

Animallover12 Animallover12 NSW Posts: 437
2 28 Sep 2010
My one says 222.791!
happy
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
3 29 Sep 2010
I am all for saving the animals and whether me abstaining from eating them saves them or not I would still do it...
But how do they work out this figure?
Like I've said previously there is so much dead animal meat that just goes to waste in this country... I don't really think by me not eating meat that I'm actually saving lives in doing so?

I'm not being negative but I don't want to be ignorant in thinking that we are actually saving lives merely by abstaining from meat on our plates. I'm sure in the industry my stand goes unnoticed, however if a big enough percentage of the world was vegetarian then as a collective I'm sure the industry would notice a drop in demand but not at this point sad

I think that's why we need to be more active, taking meat off our plates is great but we need to get out there into the world and show individual animals compassion & do our best to actively save as many living ones as we can & also get as many people to make stand and take meat off their plates aswell!

Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to think that through my diet choice I am saving animals but I just don't know if it's realistic ? sad
& regardless whether I am saving their lives, I in no way want to consume my deceased friends!!!
ReplyQuote

4 29 Sep 2010
This kind of answers my question-
http://www.veganoutreach.org/articles/saveanimals.html
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
5 29 Sep 2010
wild child2 said:
I am all for saving the animals and whether me abstaining from eating them saves them or not I would still do it...
But how do they work out this figure?
Like I've said previously there is so much dead animal meat that just goes to waste in this country... I don't really think by me not eating meat that I'm actually saving lives in doing so?

I'm not being negative but I don't want to be ignorant in thinking that we are actually saving lives merely by abstaining from meat on our plates. I'm sure in the industry my stand goes unnoticed, however if a big enough percentage of the world was vegetarian then as a collective I'm sure the industry would notice a drop in demand but not at this point sad

I think that's why we need to be more active, taking meat off our plates is great but we need to get out there into the world and show individual animals compassion & do our best to actively save as many living ones as we can & also get as many people to make stand and take meat off their plates aswell!

Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to think that through my diet choice I am saving animals but I just don't know if it's realistic ? sad
& regardless whether I am saving their lives, I in no way want to consume my deceased friends!!!
A valid question. How are these numbers worked out?
ReplyQuote

Arieluxable Arieluxable QLD Posts: 190
6 29 Sep 2010
Imagine if all the people who are veg*an right now all went back to eating meat at the same time - the meat industry would notice the greater demand and breed, raise and kill more animals.

Thats how I know we're saving lives.
ReplyQuote

7 29 Sep 2010
I think they base it on the fact that each year, on average, omnivores cosume 100 animals per year (including fish and poultry obviously).

So I assume its just based on how many unleashed members have stated that they are vegetarian.

However, I don't think this number would be extremely accurate as no doubt, there would be numerous accounts from people who have stopped using this site and perhaps returned to eating meat but never changed their status. They would still be contributing to the virtual number.
ReplyQuote

8 29 Sep 2010
Arieluxable said:
Imagine if all the people who are veg*an right now all went back to eating meat at the same time - the meat industry would notice the greater demand and breed, raise and kill more animals.

Yeah but I really don't think this is true,
Every year, Australians throw out three million tonnes of food worth 5.2 billion Australian dollars ??? Surely there would be a good share of perishable meat in there?

And I have numerous times been at woolies/coles and seen employees taking the 'past it's used by date' meat from the shelves...
ReplyQuote

9 29 Sep 2010
I don't think its an accident that the shops have excess meat. They have very sophisticated ordering systems these days and I'm guessing that because meat is quite cheap to produce they deliberatly order a percentage more than their usual quota so that they are almost guaranteed not to run out of stock.

So if we all started eating meat again, the stores would require more meat and the farms would produce more. And then there would still be the waste on top of that.
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
10 29 Sep 2010
wild child2 said:
Arieluxable said:

Yeah but I really don't think this is true,
Every year, Australians throw out three million tonnes of food worth 5.2 billion Australian dollars ??? Surely there would be a good share of perishable meat in there?

And I have numerous times been at woolies/coles and seen employees taking the 'past it's used by date' meat from the shelves...
That doesnt even include all the meat from fast food industries that gets thrown out. Ive seen it, its disgusting! So much food goes to waste.. Its ridiculous the amount of vegetables and grains that get added to this disposal.. Ironically world hunger wouldn't exist is western society wasnt so greedy and sent food over.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au