Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Iron supplements

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  


Emmy14 Emmy14 Antarctica Posts: 572
1 30 Sep 2010
Does anyone know of some good iron supplements?
I'm not getting enough iron, and for some reason my lips are cracking and are really sore! I think it's because I'm not getting enough iron or something like that? And if they don't heal soon my rents say that I can't be a vegetarian cry
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
2 30 Sep 2010
-Emmy14- said:
Does anyone know of some good iron supplements?
I'm not getting enough iron, and for some reason my lips are cracking and are really sore! I think it's because I'm not getting enough iron or something like that? And if they don't heal soon my rents say that I can't be a vegetarian cry
Hey sweety,
I doubt your lips have anything to do with Iron.. Have you been licking them or have they been getting wind chaffed? Maybe try some paw paw ointment on them?
Not sure about supplements, the others will probably have better info on that, your iron levels are probably fine though, maybe get a blood test done?
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
3 30 Sep 2010
Yea, I know that my lips can randomly dry up, I think due to being in the elements or sudden temperature changes. But they have never done so due to a diet change. It could also be stress.. if you're prone to coldsores maybe something related to that.
Keep them moistured and look up good food iron sources and just make sure you're eating plenty of variety and including those foods.

I don't take supplements so I can't advise on that, but hopefully you will find a good one to put you and your parents at ease!
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
4 30 Sep 2010
Unleashed Admin
That's a pain! Cracked lips isn't a symptom I would have guessed you'd get from insufficient iron. But either way, eating a multi-vitamin supplement regularly is a good idea.

I usually buy one of these brands: Blackmores, Nature's Own or Cenovis. You can pick these up in most chemists or supermarkets. I'd recommend getting a multi-vitamin. That will help cover you for most things. You'll probably find that the people who work there can help you pick out a good one.
ReplyQuote

Emmy14 Emmy14 Antarctica Posts: 572
5 30 Sep 2010
wild child2 said:
-Emmy14- said:
Does anyone know of some good iron supplements?
I'm not getting enough iron, and for some reason my lips are cracking and are really sore! I think it's because I'm not getting enough iron or something like that? And if they don't heal soon my rents say that I can't be a vegetarian cry
Hey sweety,
I doubt your lips have anything to do with Iron.. Have you been licking them or have they been getting wind chaffed? Maybe try some paw paw ointment on them?
Not sure about supplements, the others will probably have better info on that, your iron levels are probably fine though, maybe get a blood test done?
Thx, yeah, I think it's probaly the wind and that fact that it's abit chilly. I put some paw paw ointment on last night, and it dried into them, and it made them worsesad
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
6 30 Sep 2010
Emmy, cracked lips is probably more from licking them than iron. I used to have that problem around your age. I'd just invest in some good lipbalm.

As for iron suppliments, I'd suggest getting a good multivitamin. I take Swisse Teenage Ultivite for teenage girls. Getting vitamins specific for girls means they have a higher iron content because the iron requirement is higher for girls due to the loss of blood in your period.
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
7 30 Sep 2010
Yeah try a teenage suppliment if your young (assuming your 14 because of your name) happy

if your worried the best thing to do is go see your doctor and get a blood test, but I dont think cracked lips is a symptom of iron deficiency. I have ALWAYS gotten cracked lips, even when I was an omnivore and its maybe do to sleeping with your mouth open, licking them, cold weather, windy weather etc.

I take a daily supplement from Natures Way called Super Multi. it has all your vitimins plus lots of other natural things like Milk thistle.

If you do this your iron deficient try Ferro-Gradumet. Its what I used when I had a deficiency and it fixed me right up! Take vitamin C with it as it need to be aborbed and also just a warning.. eat LOOOTS of fibre (weetbix does the trick) as it will make you constipated.
ReplyQuote

Emmy14 Emmy14 Antarctica Posts: 572
8 1 Oct 2010
ZoolNerd said:
Yeah try a teenage suppliment if your young (assuming your 14 because of your name) happy
Actually I'm 11 ecstatic
ReplyQuote

birdie birdie VIC Posts: 393
9 1 Oct 2010
cracked lips most definitely can be diet related, if not from external factors such as cold weather, tho i would say this could be to do with overall imbalance of vitamins not iron in particular. it has nothing to do with a vegetarian or meat-eating diet, just make sure that you are eating regularly throughout the day & try to eat at each meal either fruit or vegetables & get enough protein (from legumes, nuts, pulses, soy products etc) & carbohydrates (bread, cereal, pasta etc). i know from personal experience that whenever my diet has been out of balance & lacking the right foods i get very dry & cracked lips. hope this helps & good luck of course happy
ReplyQuote

Jana1 Jana1 NSW Posts: 2
10 3 May 2018
Vitamin B complex may help.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au