Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

YOUR vegan diet

1 - 10 of 32 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Emily Emily VIC Posts: 66
1 5 Aug 2009
I'm 15 and a vegetarian, and plan to be a vegan by the time I'm 17. (I'm saving up to go to Borneo and won't be able to spend my own money 'til a few months before my 17th... and I have to pay for and cook my own food if I go vegan)
I've had a bit of a search on the net about what vegans eat, but I get a tad freaked out. It's all far too healthy! I like veges but I don't really like fruit and I LOVE chocolate! The truth is, there isn't a chance of me suddenly eating really healthy when I go vegan!

So I was wondering, what do you guys, as individuals, eat? Try to think back over the last few days... or week. How often do you eat junk food? What don't you get enough of? etc...
Just say ANYTHING to do with your diet.

Hopefully that all made sense, I'm not thinking very straight at the moment.  confused

funny
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
2 5 Aug 2009
>Lord of the Fries (obviously)
>Bonvita rice milk chocolate (white choc)
>Coles BBQ chips
>Coke
>Any type of plain chips
>Oreos
>So Good soy ice cream
>Jelly beans - the ones you find at the chemist (can't think of brand)
>Chuppa chups
>Nanna's Lite Apple Pies
>Mentos

and so much more... take a look at the "Accidentally Vegan" thread for A LOT more ideas.
http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/forum/topic.php?t=24
ReplyQuote

Vegetation Vegetation NSW Posts: 349
3 5 Aug 2009
I'm not vegan (just for the record). I don't eat enough fruit but that's because I can't have the fruit sugar in it, it makes me sick.

I also don't probably eat quite as many vegetables as I should because I get sick from a lot of them, but I do eat those that I can.

Unfortunately, when I'm not in a cooking mood a lot of my diet isn't wonderful either. Sometimes I'll go a while eating a veg version of the SAD. Seitan steaks or sausages with 3 vegetables (or a grain and veg). I'll eat polenta with veggies or mushies and gravy. Oh and crumbed chicken seitan!

I eat far too many baked things (muffins and oat bars~I love to bake!) and way too many chocolates for my own good.

Lunch is terrible. I'll have a sandwich (at least it's wholemeal bread) with jam and nut butter or vegemite and along with that a chocolate oat milk or something.

I'm probably an advertisment for how NOT to be vegetarian. I do try to eat fairly healthy dinners though because the kids are eating with me then quite often.

Are you after healthy but easy idea's for meals or your just curious if we're healthy or not? tongue
ReplyQuote

MothWings MothWings NSW Posts: 102
4 5 Aug 2009
I'm not the most healthy vegan out there. I don't eat fruit at all. And chocolate was the hardest thing to give up (especially since I went vegan round easter time). And I never ate much vegies beforehand, though that's changing heaps.

Junk food: home made cake and choc biscuits, popcorn, chips.
Love fry's vegan fake meat stuff. Had sheperds pie last night, yum.

Buy yourself a cook book. There's heaps of unhealthy vegan recipes out there.  Like I had this one cake that felt like you were eating a ton of chocolate and fat at once
ReplyQuote

Tofu Ninja Tofu Ninja NSW Posts: 165
5 5 Aug 2009
It is quite hard to go instantly vegan... So ease yourself into it when you are ready.
Try dropping one "bad" food item per week... Say eggs. So for a week or two dont use/eat anything with eggs in it. Then the next week ditch honey. Then cheese. Then Milk...

Eating these foods has become kind of like an addiction to your body (cheese actually contains some pretty addictive things).

Try to get into eating fruit... It is awesome! Even non-vegetarians should be eating a fair bit of fruit.

OK... So MY vegan diet is pretty vegie driven now. But it didn't start off that way. I was such a picky eater, but just kept my mind open and tried loads of new fruits and vegies (Feijoas are BY FAR the greatest fruit!!! Try one!)
I reckon a lot of vegans start off on the "easy" pre-made foods, but then eventually start opening their eyes to the awesome options out there... For snacks try some sunflower seeds. Yes, boring you may say, but they are damn good once you actually try some!!
ReplyQuote

Emily Emily VIC Posts: 66
6 5 Aug 2009
Vegetation said:
I'm not vegan (just for the record). I don't eat enough fruit but that's because I can't have the fruit sugar in it, it makes me sick.

I also don't probably eat quite as many vegetables as I should because I get sick from a lot of them, but I do eat those that I can.

Unfortunately, when I'm not in a cooking mood a lot of my diet isn't wonderful either. Sometimes I'll go a while eating a veg version of the SAD. Seitan steaks or sausages with 3 vegetables (or a grain and veg). I'll eat polenta with veggies or mushies and gravy. Oh and crumbed chicken seitan!

I eat far too many baked things (muffins and oat bars~I love to bake!) and way too many chocolates for my own good.

Lunch is terrible. I'll have a sandwich (at least it's wholemeal bread) with jam and nut butter or vegemite and along with that a chocolate oat milk or something.

I'm probably an advertisment for how NOT to be vegetarian. I do try to eat fairly healthy dinners though because the kids are eating with me then quite often.

Are you after healthy but easy idea's for meals or your just curious if we're healthy or not? tongue
hahaha. dont worry, i eat MUCH MUCH worse than you.
hmm for breakfast - vegemite on toast + glass of orange juice with my iron tablets.
morning tea - box juice + some kind of chocolate biscuit e.g. today i had 3 mint slices
lunch - varies... today i had twisties in a white roll. but a lot of the time id have a wrap with things like hummus, ricotta, carrot, cheese, lettuce, tomato, capsicum, snow peas, alphalpa, spinach leaves etc. + more biscuits
afternoon tea - anything i can find... more chocolate biscuits, noodles, chips. ANYTHING unhealthy.
dinner - usually pretty healthy. a scrumptious vegetarian meal or 3 veggies + a vege shnitzel/pattie or takeaway pizza  wink
dessert - lots and lots of chocolate/ icecream/something reeeeaaally yummy that i make.. brownies/cookies etc.

and somehow im not overweight.

i was just asking coz i have no idea what would happen to my health and what i would end up eating if i went vegan  laugh
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
7 5 Aug 2009
When I first became vegan I could easily eat 10 servings of fruit/veggies a day. I realised I had to do something about that! Lol!

I try and make sure I include something from every food group each day.

Brekkie: I don't eat breakfast but eat fruit late morning, when I get hungry.
Lunch: I usually try and have something "light" like a salad sometimes including lentils
Dinner: This is when I usually include things like tofu, tempeh, tvp etc. I usually do stews, curries, pasta, rice/veggies, stirfrys, burritos, tacos, nachos, schnitzels etc.

I also replaced white rice/pasta/bread with wholemeal and drink plenty of water.

My worst habits: Junk food is chips, crackers/pate and nuts. And I drink heaps of grog so that's probably the worst thing!!  ashamed
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 5 Aug 2009
Emily said:
hmm for breakfast - vegemite on toast + glass of orange juice with my iron tablets.
morning tea - box juice + some kind of chocolate biscuit e.g. today i had 3 mint slices
lunch - varies... today i had twisties in a white roll. but a lot of the time id have a wrap with things like hummus, ricotta, carrot, cheese, lettuce, tomato, capsicum, snow peas, alphalpa, spinach leaves etc. + more biscuits
afternoon tea - anything i can find... more chocolate biscuits, noodles, chips. ANYTHING unhealthy.
dinner - usually pretty healthy. a scrumptious vegetarian meal or 3 veggies + a vege shnitzel/pattie or takeaway pizza  wink
dessert - lots and lots of chocolate/ icecream/something reeeeaaally yummy that i make.. brownies/cookies etc.

i was just asking coz i have no idea what would happen to my health and what i would end up eating if i went vegan  laugh
Be careful with your iron intake when you become vegan. If you eat a healthy vegan diet, you will have no problem obtaining iron. Also, read up on B12.

I'd also suggest getting a blood test done after 6 weeks of changing to a vegan diet. Get both your iron & B12 levels tested.

I was taking iron tablets when I was vegetarian, but when I became vegan my levels were too high. They were normal when I was vegetarian. Not surprising, as I ate poorly as a vegetarian.

Now I only take a B12 tablet and Flaxseed capsule (only coz I don't like the taste of Flaxseed oil).
ReplyQuote

9 5 Aug 2009
Emily said:
Vegetation said:

That doesn't sound a WHOLE lot different to me! Well...except maybe the twisties on bread  laugh

I'm not even going to mention how many chockie bikkies I could put away in one sitting  ashamed
ReplyQuote

10 5 Aug 2009
ckimana said:
And I drink heaps of grog so that's probably the worst thing!!  ashamed
This is probably the only thing I have going for me! Although I recently discovered the joys of cooking with grog so maybe I drink more than I think I do  scared
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au