Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

60 Minutes ~ Orca Story

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

emileee emileee NSW Posts: 514
1 17 Oct 2010
Tonight . 7:30 . 60 Minutes ~ Natural born killers
‘They seem the most friendly and sociable creatures. But don't be fooled. These are predators at the very top of the food chain’

YAY! Tonight 60 Minutes has a segment on orcas happy
They seem to be focusing the story around Tilikum; the orca involved in 3 deaths at SW. AND they seem to be anti-captivity.
I also hope they mention the fact that 4 orcas have died in 4 months this year alone at different SeaWorld’s …. Clearly SW is doing something wrong (besides imprisoning marine mammals)

Thought I would share
ReplyQuote

Emmy14 Emmy14 Antarctica Posts: 572
2 17 Oct 2010
Thanks emilieee
I'll be watchingwink
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
3 17 Oct 2010
I have a feeling that this wont be as good as it sounds and somehow they will make Orcas look like human killers.

I watched doco on how they hunt seals (pretty brutal) and it shows how they not only hunt for fun, but once the seal is dead they play with it, tossing it up in the air and catching it.

What was interesting though was the humans in th water filming it were terrified at first, but the orcas swam right up to them, looked at them closely (amazing footage) and swam away. They realised they were not food and seals were easier. Whats funny is they used the humans as bait to get the seals to swim away to other area with more orcas.

Dolphins (Orcas are dolphins) are FREAKING SMART.
ReplyQuote

4 17 Oct 2010
emileee said:
AND they seem to be anti-captivity.
I think it shows more than anything, other than factory farming, how powerful and horrible humans are when it comes to keeping intelligent creatures like dolphins in SW and other parks. Its horrid to think of. Zoos are one thing as most are endangered and in breeding programs and/or have been rescued but parks like SW do it purely for entertainment. Keeping large aquatic intelligent animals in entertainment industries is horrible, if anything they should only keep those that need to be rescued...
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
5 17 Oct 2010
I saw in the ad preview they asked "why do they kill in captivity" and I yelled at the tv "because they are in f#&%ing captivity!". Usually this is when my b/f tells me to calm down, but he knows how much I love Orcas, so he let me rant at the tv haha.

But either way I will be watching and depending on the angle of the story, I may end up writing a letter to 60mins.
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
6 17 Oct 2010
i saw an ad
didnt they say something like
why we need to get oscas out of captivity ?
ReplyQuote

emileee emileee NSW Posts: 514
7 17 Oct 2010
'Killer whales equal killer profits' ... So true
They got transient and resident orca's mixed up abit but other then that i thnk it was well put together. I like the ending how it showed Jpod in the wild in contrast to the captive orca's in SW. And how the guy on the boat said something about if you see them in the wild you'd never pay to see them locked up again happy
ReplyQuote

8 17 Oct 2010
I quite enjoyed it! Usually I hate 60minutes but for once they got something spot on.

Very impressed with the segment.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
9 17 Oct 2010
Just finished watching 60mins, and I'm impressed with the story, I'm glad the reported did some research and actually spoke to some people other than Seaworld employees. I'm also glad they went and saw Orcas in their natural environment.

I also sent them a comment happy so now I need to remember to watch next week to see if it gets read out!
ReplyQuote

Tanya M Tanya M VIC Posts: 741
10 18 Oct 2010
I thought the story was done very well. I think the part about the babies being taken from their mothers will pull a few heart strings.......now to get people to make the connection with the calves in the dairy industry!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au