Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Best Way To Cook Tofu?

1 - 10 of 20 posts   1 | 2  

jenny b jenny b SA Posts: 25
1 5 Aug 2009
So I have some Thai flavoured tofu sitting in my fridge, but I've never really had tofu before (I know, the horror!) and don't know what to do with it. There aren't any directions on the packet, except it saying that you can have it in sandwiches or salads or pretty much anything. I thought I might just chuck it in the frying pan and then have it in a toasted sandwich or something, but I don't know how that would taste. :/

So. Help, please?
ReplyQuote

Vegan Zombie. Vegan Zombie. SA Posts: 130
2 5 Aug 2009
I love thai tofu happy
I'm not the biggest expert on cooking it, but I usually chop it up into small cubes and use it instead of meat in spaghetti bolognaise. Its also good on vegan pizza. happy
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
3 5 Aug 2009
You can pretty much just treat tofu like meat in terms of food preparation. Marinate it, stir-fry it, crumb it, scramble it, whatever - it's very versatile. Some people even like it raw (not me)!

Personally, I like it cooked in the pan and added to vegies and maybe sauce of some kind.

Hey, I just found some tofu in my fridge that is 1 month out of date.
Do you think it would still be ok to eat?
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
4 5 Aug 2009
I would just slice it and then fry it in a pan with some olive oil. Then maybe put it on a wrap with some lettuce, avocado, cucumber and some sweet chilli sauce. pretay yume.
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
5 5 Aug 2009
april-san said:
You can pretty much just treat tofu like meat in terms of food preparation. Marinate it, stir-fry it, crumb it, scramble it, whatever - it's very versatile. Some people even like it raw (not me)!

Personally, I like it cooked in the pan and added to vegies and maybe sauce of some kind.

Hey, I just found some tofu in my fridge that is 1 month out of date.
Do you think it would still be ok to eat?
My guess is that its marked out of date for a reason? lol, idk.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
6 5 Aug 2009
jenny b said:
So I have some Thai flavoured tofu sitting in my fridge, but I've never really had tofu before (I know, the horror!) and don't know what to do with it. There aren't any directions on the packet, except it saying that you can have it in sandwiches or salads or pretty much anything. I thought I might just chuck it in the frying pan and then have it in a toasted sandwich or something, but I don't know how that would taste. :/

So. Help, please?
That's the Soyco one? I used to eat that all the time! I usually, quite boring really! Haha.. just heat it in the microwave and put tomato sauce on it. When I was abit creative I'd use it in stirfrys, stews, curries etc...
ReplyQuote

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
7 5 Aug 2009
I have to start off by saying I used to hate the stuff... but have gotten used to it now and now, if cooked right, it tastes great to me.

The flavoured ones are easy, just fry them and have them with salad or in a wrap etc.

Also if you get firm tofu and chop it into tiny [crouton size] little cubes and fry in garlic, soy sauce and ginger until crispy

And my recent favourite, fry slices (about the size of one of those thin post-it notes you use to mark books) in a fair bit of oil, flip and keep going until they are reallllllllllllllllly crunchy, almost like a chip.
Then mix through salad with purpole cabbage, baby spinach, onion - whatever you like. A good dressing for it is a soy sauce/lemon/ginger/chilli combination.

AND last but definitely not least, find yourself a good scrambled tofu recipe, so good as part of a big breakfast - facon, fry-grilled mushrooms, potatoes, onions and spinach, baked beans (home made if you can be bothered) and of course a good couple of slices of grain toast. Or just on its own with parsley and toast.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 5 Aug 2009
The Soyco Malasian Satay is nice too. I'm lazy, it's the microwave for me!  ashamed

Oh and almost forgot those sweet chilli tofu cubes are unreal! I think they have laid off the chilli sauce abit so I usually add abit extra!
ReplyQuote

Llama In A Deckchair Llama In A Deckchair VIC Posts: 10
9 5 Aug 2009
ckimana said:
The Soyco Malasian Satay is nice too. I'm lazy, it's the microwave for me!  ashamed

Oh and almost forgot those sweet chilli tofu cubes are unreal! I think they have laid off the chilli sauce abit so I usually add abit extra!
Thats what I make my tufo nuggets out of. Awesome stuff  clap
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
10 5 Aug 2009
Depends what you want. I personally like to chop plain firm tofu (not the sort you have) into 5mm thick slices and deep fry them, and then smother in tomato sauce and barbecue sauce.

I had tofu 'nuggets' tonight:

chop the tofu into small pieces (the size of half a 'chicken' nugget if you can remember how big they are, otherwise like 1cm by .5cm by 2cm)
get 3 bowls and fill one with corn flour, one with soy milk, salt pepper, powdered 'chicken style' or 'vegetable' stock and whatever else would taste nice (eg. season all or garlic) fill a third bowl with bread crumbs

put the tofu into the corn flour bowl, coat it well, then dip it in the soy milk, make sure its covered so its sticky, then put it in the bread crumbs and cover it with them. do this over and over, then deep fry and wellah, you have nuggets happy

You can also marinade tofu in the oven (if you've ever had marinated chicken wings, the same principle applies, just without the dead carcase)

My favourite recipe is frying tofu garlic and ginger in a pan with oil (sesame is my preference but vegie will work fine) until it starts to go crispy, then put in some sweet soy sauce (like the whole bottle if you like it lol) so that they all get covered, and cook until the sweet soy sauce starts to burn (makes it crispy and smoky and yummy) but make sure not to cook it for too long or it tastes horrible, and make sure you keep moving it around otherwise the bottom burns and the top doesn't.

You can put tofu into stir frys (chop into small cubes) or mash it and put it in any pasta/lasagna dish. Treat it as you would treat chicken, I find chicken dishes (eg. chicken pitta wraps) are best substituted with tofu. (mother will have poor baby birds for tea and i'll cook the same but instead use tofu)

It also depends on what sort of tofu you have. The soyco marinated tofu is good if you chop blocks in half and have in a salad sandwhich, 'firm' tofu is good using as a plain meat substitute (thats the one i fry) the silken tofu... well I havn't quite figured out how to use it, but I have tried to use it to make vegan mousse.

Your best bet is just to experiment with tofu, diferent people have diferent prefernces. I (as you can tell) like fried oily foods, others like watery clean foods and will have tofu in sandwhiches. Some like chilli and will make chilli dishes with tofu instead of meat. Some have it in salads, some cook it on the barbecue. I had it plain and skewered a couple of nights ago. It realy depends on your tastes, but if ever in doubt, just go for it, cause you don't know what you could end up with.

*I do not in ANY way encourage the eating of chicken. I just like to think of tofu as my own personal brand of cruelty free chicken. To the point that I had my brother eating 'chicken' nuggets tonight, and it wasn't till after that i explained that it was tofu that he exclaimed 'can i have 2 more?'
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au