Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Working at the Spring Racing Carnival

1 - 4 of 4 posts

Little_Kitty Little_Kitty United Kingdom Posts: 376
1 24 Oct 2010
So... as I'm on a traineeship I have a second job with a temping hospitality company and I do events. So basically I ring up, say I'm available on Sat and they send me somewhere for a good 10 hour shift with great pay (which enables me to actually have enough money for basics like doc/petrol etc) - you dont get to choose where you go.

Lately... I've been getting sent to Spring Racing Events to work in the corporate dining rooms/bars.

Yesterday at the Cox Plate I had to serve a 4 course meal to a room of about 400 people.

The menu made me sad.

Entree: Smoked Salmon dishy thing
Main: Chicken or Lamb
Dessert: Cake with cream followed by a cheeseboard and chocolate and tea coffee with milk.

They were going crazy on it, smashing it down and I had to serve it to them. Out of all the tables I served not ONE asked for a vego main (although I saw maybe ten ppl have a special vego entree which looked delicious)

So Im feeling conflicted, I need this work for the next few weeks but I don't like participating in a cruel event with cruel food.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
2 24 Oct 2010
At least it isn't your choice.. all we can do is make the best choices. I think i'd do it, it might suck but it is just a job that would be filled anyway. Maybe next time you wont be in the same position. happy
ReplyQuote

Little_Kitty Little_Kitty United Kingdom Posts: 376
3 24 Oct 2010
Tanyaka said:
At least it isn't your choice.. all we can do is make the best choices. I think i'd do it, it might suck but it is just a job that would be filled anyway. Maybe next time you wont be in the same position. happy
Melb cup day is $40 an hour...it's so hard to say no!
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
4 24 Oct 2010
Little_Kitty said:
Tanyaka said:
Melb cup day is $40 an hour...it's so hard to say no!
well, its work its not as if your supporting the event
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au