Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

RSPCA

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Chanelle Chanelle WA Posts: 28
1 3 Nov 2010
Hey if i wanted to volunteer at the local RSPCA does anyone know how i can do it??
ReplyQuote

Asti Asti QLD Posts: 40
2 3 Nov 2010
I would contact them and ask. happy
ReplyQuote

MarkM MarkM QLD Posts: 214
3 3 Nov 2010
Just pop in and fill out their volunteer form to list any skills, etc, and they'll be in touch.  Pretty easy really.  If my memory serves me correctly, Carinaforkeeps works for them so I'm sure she'll have more useful info than this happy
ReplyQuote

Chanelle Chanelle WA Posts: 28
4 3 Nov 2010
turns out you have to be 18 years or older sad
ReplyQuote

Animallover12 Animallover12 NSW Posts: 437
5 3 Nov 2010
Chanelle said:
when i phoned them up (because i anted to volenter also) they said you had to be 16. confused
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
6 3 Nov 2010
I wouldn't want to volunteer for RSPCA unless you were planning to get a whole heap of members to take over the management lol... I just don't think it would be very satisfying they refuse the calls that are actually needed like a shetland pony being starved ina paddock. If you are going to volunteer why not volunteer for a small time adoption center/animal shelter who actually really need all the help they can get? Not everyone would need you to be over 18 and I'm sure it would be much more satisfying. =)
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
7 3 Nov 2010
I think most places working with animals would require an age limit. I volunteered at both the rspca and a seperate small shelter. It's a really hard and dangerous job.. you're working with potentially agressive/scared animals and medication and disease control, plus it is veryyy physical cleaning out dog pens. Not to mention emotionally draining, if an animal is sick or has to be put down, or even just seeing the condition dogs turn up in. It can be heartbreaking.
But it is a really rewarding and worth while experience.

With the RSPCA, at least in VIC, you need to sign up and then wait til the next scheduled information day and attend that. They will tell you everything and interview you before you can become a volunteer.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
8 3 Nov 2010
Madisonlovesanimals said:
Chanelle said:
when i phoned them up (because i anted to volenter also) they said you had to be 16. confused
Oh it depends the state/territory your in to volunteer, but it is usually 16 or 18 i think. I'm 17 now and i want to volunteer.... but to volunteer you need experience and you have to have at least had a pet dog to volunteer as a dog walker or had a cat to look after the cats. THe only thing you can volunteer without experience is dishwashing, which i could do but that wouldn't be fun at all...
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au