Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

seeing a rat euthanized for school

1 - 10 of 33 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Emily Emily VIC Posts: 66
1 8 Aug 2009
Ok... so as part of the year 9 program, we have a 'careers' or 'pathways' week. The first place we're going to is the RSPCA. The other class went last week and the lady taking the tour was about to take them to go see a rat euthanized, but my friend protested and the class supported her. So they didn't go see it. Of course, the rat would have been euthanized anyway... so if our class has to go see it, what do you think I should do?

By the way, the rat was being euthanized because they had finished testing on it.
ReplyQuote

Jamison Jamison VIC Posts: 271
2 8 Aug 2009
Get every possible leaflette ever printed about animal testing, and put them in the place you're going to (like stacks on stacks on stacks and fill a room with neatly stacked pages, then do the next room, and the next room, till the whole place is full)

I would reccomend wearing an animal shirt (like a 'save the whales' or a 'vegan pride' or a 'i love animals' or somehting like that shirt), and if she brings it up, protest. If you have any friends in class, ask them to protest as well. Take a petition along if you want. When people protest with you, sign the petition. Tell them taht you're discusted that an animal protection place is using animals for testing.

Take some vegan cake and tell them it's got the same chemicals in it that they're giving to the rat. AFTER they eat it wink
ReplyQuote

3 8 Aug 2009
Jamison said:
Get every possible leaflette ever printed about animal testing, and put them in the place you're going to (like stacks on stacks on stacks and fill a room with neatly stacked pages, then do the next room, and the next room, till the whole place is full)

I would reccomend wearing an animal shirt (like a 'save the whales' or a 'vegan pride' or a 'i love animals' or somehting like that shirt), and if she brings it up, protest. If you have any friends in class, ask them to protest as well. Take a petition along if you want. When people protest with you, sign the petition. Tell them taht you're discusted that an animal protection place is using animals for testing.

Take some vegan cake and tell them it's got the same chemicals in it that they're giving to the rat. AFTER they eat it wink
hahaha noice. ill think about it tongue
i go to a very strict private school that i'm already in trouble with, so i had better not do anything too crazy.
but i sure do like your thinking!!!!!
ReplyQuote

ashleigh ashleigh QLD Posts: 57
4 9 Aug 2009
im disgusted that an organisation that is there to support animal welfare and advertise that they do is actually testing on animals, i had no idea.
ReplyQuote

Mel Mel NSW Posts: 289
5 9 Aug 2009
Maybe enquire about the rats' ability to live on? Ask if they can actually be rehomed instead of euthanised.
A lot of the time they are putting down rats that dont need to be and could make good pets, even if their lives are shortened by the testing period.
I have taken in rats from labs and they have lived longer than the average rat! My current lab rats are a little over 3 years and they were doomed to be put down at 6 months. I'm so glad I was in the right place at the right time.
ReplyQuote

jordannelizabeth jordannelizabeth NSW Posts: 19
6 9 Aug 2009
I Agree with offering for it to be re-homed. maybe even take it in yourself? im disgusted by this none the less.
ReplyQuote

7 9 Aug 2009
jordannelizabeth said:
I Agree with offering for it to be re-homed. maybe even take it in yourself? im disgusted by this none the less.
Yeah I've thought about it, and there is no doubt that my family would kill me rolleyes
I can take it if I know someone else can take it from me shortly after..... anyone keen?    wink

I live on the Mornington Peninsula, about an hour away from Melbourne.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 9 Aug 2009
Emily said:
Ok... so as part of the year 9 program, we have a 'careers' or 'pathways' week. The first place we're going to is the RSPCA. The other class went last week and the lady taking the tour was about to take them to go see a rat euthanized, but my friend protested and the class supported her. So they didn't go see it. Of course, the rat would have been euthanized anyway... so if our class has to go see it, what do you think I should do?

By the way, the rat was being euthanized because they had finished testing on it.
I find it strange that they will show you a rat being euthanased, when they can show you many other things. But not surprised nevertheless. However, watching it may convert a few kids.
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
9 9 Aug 2009
ckimana said:
watching it may convert a few kids.
but at what cost?
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
10 9 Aug 2009
Matt.Y said:
ckimana said:
watching it may convert a few kids.
but at what cost?
True. But it's going to happen anyway, so it may as well be done in front of ppl. Sometimes things need to be visual to have an impact.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au