Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Rehoming our Pet Rooster

1 - 10 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

Paula Paula VIC Posts: 1
1 13 Dec 2010
We're new to Bantams - and one of our 'chicks' has grown up to be a Rooster (we tried denial - but the crowing at 5.30am has started, and although there have been no complaints as yet it can't be long before someone questions the noise!).Unfortunately the 'supplier' we bought the chicks off isn't living up to their offer of taking the 'rooster' back - so we're seeking advice - where can he go? What can we do with him? Our preference is that he goes on to live a long and illustrious life, sadly the reality might be something else. Any suggestions? Thanks!
ReplyQuote

Imaginary Product Imaginary Product NSW Posts: 142
2 13 Dec 2010
Years ago the school I went to had chickens.  I was a "chicken monitor" so I was allowed to take one home to have as a pet when the coop got too crowded.  It was a female bantam.  Being a social animal, she was very lonely and used to sit at the back glass door looking in.  After about two weeks we gave her to the local plant nursery as they had a small coop of bantams there.  She lived happily ever after and mum went to visit her all the time.  

Maybe you could check with nuseries in your area or semi-rural areas and see if they have the same thing?
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
3 14 Dec 2010
i have a few bantams, actually i have 9 roosters and 8 hens, if u lived in nsw on the mid north coast i could take him! but do u live in a town area so u cant keep him? is he your nly rooster?

mine get along really well and are free range. there are a few poultry rescues were they rehome ur chooks , nurseys, put a ad in some shops ad say to a good home only. i actually got  a few chooks from the local markets and they wanted for eva homes for them so me and mum got them as a small chrissy present in 2004 and there still here< they were our first chooks , pure silkies.

if u live in nsw on the mid north coast we could arrange something tongue
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
4 14 Dec 2010
Paula said:
We're new to Bantams - and one of our 'chicks' has grown up to be a Rooster (we tried denial - but the crowing at 5.30am has started, and although there have been no complaints as yet it can't be long before someone questions the noise!).Unfortunately the 'supplier' we bought the chicks off isn't living up to their offer of taking the 'rooster' back - so we're seeking advice - where can he go? What can we do with him? Our preference is that he goes on to live a long and illustrious life, sadly the reality might be something else. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Put an ad in the paper, free to good free range home only, interview people interested /ask if you can check their place out & take your pick!
That's what we did when some chicks we got from the markets turned out to be roosters, they went to a 10acre free range property with a heap of silkie ladies happy
ReplyQuote

5 14 Dec 2010
why dont u just keep him, rooster are awum tongue
ReplyQuote

6 14 Dec 2010
mayb its just me , but i dint seem to like selling or giving away my animals coz sometimes peope are real assholes, one time i had way to many roosters and so i put a ad up " free to loving for eva home with acerage" and i had a few calls and one lady came and picked them up but she seemed not to be to caring towards them and just throw them into the car, i was really pisseed off so i said " let them out u arnt having them , u arnt fit to own them " and she gave me a dirty look let them out and drove off , idk mayb just me but i seem to think once u have a animal its ur job to provide it with a full, cruelty free life that it deserves
ReplyQuote

7 14 Dec 2010
shan said:
mayb its just me , but i dint seem to like selling or giving away my animals coz sometimes peope are real assholes, one time i had way to many roosters and so i put a ad up " free to loving for eva home with acerage" and i had a few calls and one lady came and picked them up but she seemed not to be to caring towards them and just throw them into the car, i was really pisseed off so i said " let them out u arnt having them , u arnt fit to own them " and she gave me a dirty look let them out and drove off , idk mayb just me but i seem to think once u have a animal its ur job to provide it with a full, cruelty free life that it deserves
Its about whats best for the animal at the end of the day.
I don't agree with people rehoming dogs/cats etc just because they become inconvenient
& I'm not one to dump/sell animals, I actually have 6 cats & a dog that were dumped on me by other people that I'm taking care of until I can find them forever homes.
I learnt my lesson to not ever buy chickens from a market again, in the future I will only adopt battery hens/hens in need.
But there are laws that say you cannot have roosters in town so you have to do whats best for the rooster & find him some acreage!

I don't agree with people who shift responsibility for their animals welfare onto someone else, for example dumping animals onto shelters/refuges etc
ReplyQuote

8 14 Dec 2010
true , but i guess if u have the room y not right happy ..'

and i also didnt no that the roster was in town, i have had alot of livestock dumped on me ( rabbits, cats, chickens, sheep, cows, turkeys ect )  i guess im just lucky i have a 300 acar propety 2.

if i find people who are honest and true, and will offer the animal a good home i will let them go to a new owner, but there has been to many assholes that have seemed nice at the beginneng and wen i would go back an look at the animals they were in horrible condition so i took them back, mayb its just  me who has had alot of bad experiances
ReplyQuote

9 14 Dec 2010
shan said:
true , but i guess if u have the room y not right happy ..'

and i also didnt no that the roster was in town, i have had alot of livestock dumped on me ( rabbits, cats, chickens, sheep, cows, turkeys ect )  i guess im just lucky i have a 300 acar propety 2.

if i find people who are honest and true, and will offer the animal a good home i will let them go to a new owner, but there has been to many assholes that have seemed nice at the beginneng and wen i would go back an look at the animals they were in horrible condition so i took them back, mayb its just  me who has had alot of bad experiances
of course there are alot of bad people out there,
it will be hard for me come the new year when I have to rehome the kittens & also Diesel our foster dog! Its just hard- she's changed our existing dogs lifestyle so much & she hasn't been happy as a result... otherwise we would keep her.
Her owners dumped them on us when the decided to move to Melbourne, we had another little fella we just rehomed.
Can't wait til we've finished renovating this place, then we will buy some property & be able to help farm animals too!
ReplyQuote

ange1 ange1 VIC Posts: 1
10 18 Feb 2012
call me please want a rooster have some ex battery hens and 26 acres 0407863073
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au